TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A questionnaire for ALL TMS sufferers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  09:59:49  Show Profile
TMS symptoms I had - Chronic headache in temples; TMJ-like symptoms; testicular pain (for a period of a few months); chronic stomach pain; knee pain/irritation; shin splints/ankle pain

Good person - Yes, I always find myself going out of my way to try and help others in need.

Generalized guilt - TONS, although it has diminished considerably. I always attributed it to so-called "Jewish guilt", but I would feel guilty about practically everything.

Bad person - When provoked I can say hurtful things.

In-tune with emotions - In the past, no. I always found myself focusing on the problems of those around me, instead of my own. I resisted all emotional outpours.

Afraid of death - Since hearing Sylvia Brown speak on Larry King, no; for some reason her words truly resonated inside of me.

Intelligence - I've been placed in gifted programs since elementary school, and an IQ test administered to me in fourth (?) grade scored a 145 I believe (but what are IQ tests anyway, other than an attempt at reification).

Phobias - Swallowing large pills; heights to a mild degree.

Raped or abused - No

Good student - Excellent student. Didn't try as hard as I should have in High School, but perfectionism to the nth degree in college. Generally all A's.

What separates me from others - My sense of humor and ability to speak whatever is on my mind. An uncanny ability to free associate along with a wildly eccentric "creative vision."

Panic attacks - One time during a very stressful school period; didn't last long.

Relationship with parents - Now, better than ever; in the past, not so hot, especially with my father.

Dreams/nightmares - Very vivid dreams, sometimes reoccurring. Not so many nightmares.

Purpose in life - To laugh.

Hyperactive child - No, but very curious.

Learning disorders - No

Seth

Edited by - lobstershack on 02/17/2005 10:01:21
Go to Top of Page

godmother

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  19:12:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dizzy dave

I was curious about how the dizzies and other TMS sufferers would answer the following questions. I am not sure, but my hunch is that people who suffer from TMS dizziness may have a different kind of problem then, let's say, someone who suffers from chronic back pain. Of course, in both people there is an underlying, redirection of attention away from "bad" or "unwanted" feelings, but the nature or "level" of those feelings may be qualitatively different. This is what I am wondering about. Maybe this will get us somewhere, maybe it won’t. I am really just going with a hunch here.

From this questionnaire, we may begin to be able to "map-out" particular TMS disorders with particular kinds of people. If this actually brings in some valuable information, we can use it to build on.

Answer questions on a scale of 1-10 (when applicable).

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? (Did have)Frozen Shoulder/neckpain, back pain, fibromyaligia, tmj, knee pain, hiatal hernia, stomach upset, ulcerative colitis, dizziness. The only thing I have now is the dizziness (but I think that is from Menopause). Oh, and the colitis (which is not as bad now that I'm finished school.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? Yes

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) None now, but used to feel guilty about everything...especially being a working mother.

Do you feel like you are a bad person? No, too good.

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? Very much so...I'm a psychotherapist...it's required

Are you afraid or concerned with death? No...in fact, for some reason, I don't think there is such a thing. I know this sounds crazy and I certainly know in my head there is such a thing, but, I just don't feel it.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? Above average (except in Math)

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? Social phobia

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Yes, molested by father.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Good in elementary and part of middle, then moved and got in with wrong crowd and almost failed high school. Graduated Summa Cum Laude from college and got master's in social work with a 3.9

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? Immense curiosity about people and the workings of the mind...what makes people tick.

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.) Had a month long panic attack when I went into withdrawal after I stopped taking muscle relaxants (SOMA) for the back pain for 7 weeks. Ended up with a nervous breakdown from dealing with back pain and the withdrawal.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? I have been able to differentiate from my parents and that has helped a lot. My father is dead and my mother is very domineering and controlling. It has taken a lot of work to break away from that. She can suck the energy right out of you if you let her. I've been able to love her and back off when she becomes too much to bear.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? I used to have dreams that I wasn't prepared or dressed...like going to school wearing only your underwear. Then it was dreaming that I was going into a classroom for an exam and realizing I hadn't even looked at the material. Or...being in a play on opening night and realizing I hadn't even looked at the script but the curtain was about to go up. Haven't had those dreams lately.

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Yes. When my children were small, I felt I really had an important purpose. Then, they grew up and left and I experienced severe empty nest syndrome, which is when I began to develop the TMS symptoms. Then, I went to college, then to grad school and graduated last summer. I now have a job I love where I can schedule my clients to suit my schedule (to a certain extent)and again feel like I have a purpose. I don't really consider myself a happy person, although others would probably say they think I am.

Were you a hyperactive child? No, just the opposite. I was a very good child, never got into trouble...was the "good one" in a very dysfunctional family.

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? I've always been a slow reader, needing to absorb the words and meanings.

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Dizzy Dave

Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  08:05:24  Show Profile
To Godmother and everyone else, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions that I put out. I am thinking about another round of questions that may narrow the "playing field" quite a bit.

To Laura and everyone else here for that matter, I am telling you, and please listen closely, we can beat the dizzies or whatever other bogus TMS pain-in-the butt we have! The reason why I separated Laura out is just because it seems like we are nearly identical in personality (in a global sense) and as of late I feel 100% in balance. I am also thrilled to see that she is feeling some relief from the spins. IT'S JUST AWESOME TO WALK AROUND, ISN'T IT!

Anyhow...if you are reading this thread for the first time, please think into and consider answering the questionnaire. I think if we get enough TMS sufferers to answer it, maybe we can do something significant with it and thereby get a bit closer to ending the misery.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  10:52:42  Show Profile
Thanks, Dave, for the encouraging words. I appreciate your positive attitude and I'm anxious to see the next set of questions.

Godmother - You and I sound a lot alike. I have never seen your name on the dizzy threads we have all spoken on, but I noticed you said you had "I think that is from menopause." FYI, I've been thinking for nearly three years that my dizziness was from menopause, especially after I thought I had "Mal de Debarquement Syndrome" after riding on the plane and boat I went on (it supposedly affects 99% females, in their 40's). Since I've been doing my TMS work and talking to all the great people on this forum, my dizziness has diminished. I believe it is TMS and probably, as the good doctor says, most of dizziness is TMS. Have you seen Dr. Sarno or another TMS doc or have you read the books? I'm assuming so since you found this forum. Anyway, food for thought.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  17:54:23  Show Profile
Better late than never first time I've seen this thread....

My TMS = Initially IBS then many years later diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm tendonitis 18M later vocal cord muscle tension dysphonia With Acid Reflux 12M later bad knee. Another 20M , and now I have a sore back, another 8M and now I also have hand, tendonitis. Various levels of depression in there as well.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people?

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)

Do you feel like you are a bad person?
6 - if the word was unworthy/not worth people wasting their time on me I would probably rate a 9

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others?

Are you afraid or concerned with death?

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself?

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they?
8 - social phobia(more anxiety than phobia really) I attribute this is my primary TMS personality trait.

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth?
1 - no

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)?
8 - yes

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?
different - I've always felt different to other people and separate to society . rarely felt like I fit in.

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)
7 - social anxiety type. Rice start sweating and shaking and constantly doubting my value as a person.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents?
8 - generally I have a good relationship with my parents . but I have many misgivings about both of them.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently?
yes, I dream, frequently rarely do I have disturbing nightmarish dreams.

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy?
1 - NO I do not is feel I have a purpose . I am not very content or happy.

Were you a hyperactive child?
10 - YES!

As a child, did you have a learning disorder?
1 - NO
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  10:41:14  Show Profile
Hi, all!

Just getting this back to the top again. Also, Godmother, if you read this I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, again, Dave.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

godmother

5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  15:51:46  Show Profile
Ok, Laura, I'm here. I've been posting on and off this site for quite some time. However, I don't do it a lot...usually when I come across something I'm not sure about, like neuarlly mediated hypotension. I'm seeing that client tomorrow and will try to get some information from her that may lead me toward tms or away.

The reason I don't come to this site often is because when I read these posts my back starts hurting again (and I thought I was cured)! I have a long history (journey) with TMS, actually speaking with the good Dr. Sarno, himself over 10 years ago. I went back to school and became a therapist so I good help others with this syndrome. I worked in the ER doing an internship last year and you would not believe the number of people coming in with back and neck pain. All I could do was to suggest Dr. Sarno's book since one of my professors said I could have a lawsuit if I made any suggestions regarding diagnosing tms. I think I did come onto this site to ask about that also. Anything you would like to know, I will check in once in awhile...I did see a tms doctor who probably saved my life. She was wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Layla

6 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  19:45:42  Show Profile
Dave,

Here are my answers, knowledge is power, the more we can learn from each other the better.

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? I'll answer in blue:

I have fibro, mostly achey legs, shoulders, neck, left hip. Also have heartburn, headaches, dizziness, get out of breath easily and major fatigue.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people?

I've always been a "good person" but am learning not to be! That would sound weird to most people, but in this context I think you know what I mean. I am trying NOT to let what others think of me influence me or stress me out.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)

oh yeah, I was suppose to answer in numbers! Um....7

Do you feel like you are a bad person? Sometimes, mostly because i have heard it all my life from my mother. She's 80, I'm 45 and it still is an issue!

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? Yes

Are you afraid or concerned with death? I've had suicidal thoughts since age 9 but don't really want to die. I am not afraid of it, I know where I am going and it's a better place than here.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? 10 being highest? I guess a 7, it really depends on what type of intelligence you mean2

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? Fear of heights, clausterphobia, social anxiety, will NOT speak in front of a group under any circumstances

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth?

Unfotunately I have been molested as a young child, raped as a young teen, molested as a pre-teen and raped as an adult. Just admitting all this is a big step for me, the shame an innocent victim carries through life is amazing
Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)?

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?
My intutition, my sensitivity, my compassion

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)

Yes, two. Once when I lost a bunch of weight and realized I was attractive to men again and the other sitting at my desk about 6 months ago for no apparent reason.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents?
Father - yes, but he died when I was 15
Mother - no, no, no. I told her I was being abused and molested by a family member (her mother) and she would not believe me. We've never got along, but I do love her considering the life she had to bear living with my bitch of a grandmother during her childhood. I can't express this anger to her but I have to therapists, friends and in my journal.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently?
I remember them really well and most of them are interesting, not negative or positive. I have lots of romantic dreams which are more exciting than my life.

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Yes, I definietly have a purpose but I don't consider myself happy....Content comes and goes.

Were you a hyperactive child? No, very quiet child kept to myself

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? No, but my son does.

Layla
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  09:21:58  Show Profile
Layla,

Oh, my gosh - you and I need to talk. Some of the answers you gave, if not most all, are so similar to me it's uncanny. I could not believe when I read you were molested by your grandmother and your mother didn't believe you. I too was molested by my grandmother (mom's mother) and my mom at first said she believed me and then later made excuses for the behavior (she was playing doctor - she always wanted to be a nurse). Unreal! I thought I was a freak. I mean, how many people are molested by their own grandmother, the person who is supposed to love you and nurture you and spoil you rotten. I didn't start even having memories of this until around the birth of my first child. I was experiencing panic attacks and then something happened that triggered the memory (I won't get into what that was). You are I are so much alike it's scary! Thanks for posting.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  11:35:42  Show Profile
A quick hello. I haven't been around the last couple days very much and will not get a chance to write again most likely till next week.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this. Oh, and by the way I am still dizzy-free.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  11:37:52  Show Profile
YEAHHH!!! Great news, Dave!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  15:27:41  Show Profile
What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Butt pain, lower back pain, IBS, ear popping, panic attacks, autoimmune skin conditions

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? 10+

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)none

Do you feel like you are a bad person? no

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? Yes

Are you afraid or concerned with death? not my death but fear of my husband dying which would leave me alone. I am afraid of being left behind.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? 9 out of 10

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? Had agoraphobia but have overcome this. Public speaking. Not thrilled with heights but don't avoid.

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Don't think so.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Excellent student in High School.

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? I am a very good friend although I get angry that it is rarely recipricated.

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)Panic attacks for many years starting in my 20's.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? No. Poor relationships with both parents. Could express anger and hatred but would cry as I did.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? Don't have nightmares.

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? I considered my purpose in life to give my two children the freedom to be who they are and not to grow up in a tense household. I believe I succeeded.

Were you a hyperactive child? no

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? no

Go to Top of Page

Colleen

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:57:08  Show Profile
Dave,

I am new to this sight, but I am more than willing to answer the questions posed. My TMS symptom is burning, painful feet....neuropathy. It occurred 6 weeks post-op from total hystectomy which followed my Mom's death from ovarian cancer 4 months earlier. Oh my....yes It is important for me to feel that I am a good person and yes,I feel guilty (you mean everyone doesn't from time to time ?), I do not feel like I am a "bad" person, but I do struggle with myself. I am very intune with my emotions....too intune sometimes. After witnessing my Mom die to ovarian cancer and knowing the very good life she lived, yes I am concerned/afraid of death. I know my IQ, so I know I am an intelligent person, and yes I have phobias which are mostly health related issues and I am somewhat claustaphobic. No concerns of being molested, raped. Yes, I was a good student, but here is the catch, I wasn't (and I quote) "as good as my brother or sister and therefore did not live up to my full potential"....I have a good sense of how to relate to others (empathy). I have spent the past 20 years (since College Graduation and my first engagement which fell apart) dealing with anxiety and panic. I had an awesome relationship with my Mom as she was my best friend. I love my Dad very much, but our relationship is more difficult. I feel anger about it, but he has been so good to us that I cannot express that anger. I do remember my dreams, though not all of them. Yes, I do sometimes have troubling dreams. Right now, I feel my purpose in life is raising my children, though they are all approaching teenager now. I want so much to return to my Teaching position, but I am unable because walking and standing for any length of time causes too much pain. I am not an overly happy person. I had a lot of energy as a child (wish I had it now), but I am not sure if it was "hyperactive". No learning disorders.

Colleen

Colleen H. Mazzola
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  10:08:32  Show Profile
Dizzy Dave,

How are you feeling? The last I heard, you had experienced 10 days free from the dizzies. Thought I'd bring this questionnaire to the top again so the newbies can respond. You must be doing well since we haven't heard from you in awhile.

I'm ready for another questionnaire. Any new questions yet? Take care and be well.

Laura

P.S. My dizziness was down to almost nothing while my stomach was flaring up but now that that is resolving it's back in full swing. Yesterday, after meeting two "friends" for lunch, I felt "off balance" for the rest of the day. I guess I need to think about who I spend time with.

Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:21:31  Show Profile
Laura,

I have been out of town for most of the past week and will be swamped through mid month. Then hopefully I will have some time to breath. I have a lot of stuff with work going on...I am still dizzy-free. I believe that writing and reading on this site has helped me a lot. However, I do not get the feeling that I am out of the woods (not by a long shot!). It's kind of interesting to note, that while I have had relief from my dizziness, I have started to feel a little on edge. Just last night I was a bit aggressive on the phone with my mother. I usually don't act up like I did. It wasn't a big deal, but for me to confront my mother and show any level of anger is a big deal. I just don't know if letting out some of the anger I have towards her is therapeutic for my dizziness or if my expressed anger is a result of my feeling better (yeah, I know. You just have to read that over a few hundred times to get it! . Just thought you should know.

As for the questions, I have a few thought out but I would like some free time to devote to it mentally. I am, as you can probably sense from my writing style, a bit hurried as of late. I wish I had more time. I am already so grateful to have met the people on this site and really believe that I have felt better due to it. I hope that you feel better. I hope that everyone feels better.

Sincerely,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

deer

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:36:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dizzy dave

I was curious about how the dizzies and other TMS sufferers would answer the following questions. I am not sure, but my hunch is that people who suffer from TMS dizziness may have a different kind of problem then, let's say, someone who suffers from chronic back pain. Of course, in both people there is an underlying, redirection of attention away from "bad" or "unwanted" feelings, but the nature or "level" of those feelings may be qualitatively different. This is what I am wondering about. Maybe this will get us somewhere, maybe it won’t. I am really just going with a hunch here.

From this questionnaire, we may begin to be able to "map-out" particular TMS disorders with particular kinds of people. If this actually brings in some valuable information, we can use it to build on.

Answer questions on a scale of 1-10 (when applicable).

What TMS symptom(s) do you have?A (single)manic/dillusional episode,chronic fatigue,Insomnia,chronic tension headache between the eyes,intense shooting feelings down the middle of chest(like lightening bolts),anxiety disorder/social phobia,OCD/germ and dirt phobia,chronic scrotal itch,and tendinitus on my left hand and wrist.

very important (10+) What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)not really(3)

Do you feel like you are a bad person?no

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others?yes

Are you afraid or concerned with death?average(5)

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself?very intelligent

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they?1)germ/dirt phobia:I don't like anything of mine to get "dirty" from the floor etc...
2)social phobia
(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth?no

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)?yes

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?very tense (very self concious) Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)I think so

not so good.I do get angry; I tell my father all the time why I don't like him
Most of the time I don't remember my dreams.However, when I was taking prescription medication for insomnia,I was having a lot of bad dreams about people being nasty to me.
Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Yes, I definetly fell I have a purpose in life.However,I am not happy with my pesonality,as I would rather be less tense and more outgoing.In addition,I generaly don't show any happiness outwardly.However,deep inside I don't quite know if I am happy or not.

Were you a hyperactive child?no

As a child, did you have a learning disorder?no

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Dizzy Dave

Edited by - deer on 03/03/2005 21:26:39
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:38:14  Show Profile
Laura,

One thing I forgot.

My only phobia is public speaking. I was recently asked to speak at dinner honoring a student of mine (I happen to independently teach Jewish philosophy and theology). There were around 400 people attending the event. I was extraordinarily scared and nervous about the whole idea and thought that it may bring on the dizziness. I thought into it and decided to go through with it. Not only that, but I decided that I was going to do a fantastic job up there and speak from my heart without hesitation and it worked! I was floored by my own performance. Many people congratulated me on the fine words, etc. Once again, I somehow feel like this is not a coincidence. I never would have done this in the past. I believe that after reading about how many of us have fear of speaking in public, and how many of us suffer from bogus TMS symptoms, that I just said the whole darn thing is actually in my head! It really worked. I was able to go up and do something radically different. Pretty cool, huh? I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  15:45:21  Show Profile
Dave,

I am so impressed. I want to be able to do what you did. My daughter, Sarah, is having her bat mitzvah in June. As you know, the parents always give a speech. I'm great at writing the speech but I don't give speeches. At our 15 year old's bat mitzvah, I wrote it and my husband gave it on behalf of both of us. If only I could get over that hurdle I would be so happy. I want so desperately to stand before my daughter and tell her and everyone else the things I feel. I just don't know how. Last Saturday I went to the bar mitzvah of my "best" friend (the one I talked about on another post that I was terminating the friendship with -- we made up but it's still really weird between us). She asked us to go up to the bimah for an Aliyah. I get nervous just doing that. My knees were shaking and for the whole first part of the service I had major butterflies in my stomach. My husband and oldest daughter went up with me but that didn't matter. I was a wreck.

I'm really proud of you that you did that. I'd like to psyche myself out like you did. Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Kajsa

Denmark
144 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  02:18:57  Show Profile
"I want so desperately to stand before my daughter and tell her and everyone else the things I feel."

You can (and must) do it Laura! And I am sure you will do it great.
And if not -who will blame you ! Nobody.
If you get nervours and touched and have to stop -everybody will understand.
You are Laura -sometimes you are dizzy and sometimes nervous but that is ok. You have the right (and need) to speak at your daughters
big day. You do not have to do it "perfect" or act as if you are not nervous. But no one can do it better than you.
Because you are her mother!
Do not let the perfectionist in you stop you this time. (There wil not be a second time.)
Kajsa
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  22:51:30  Show Profile
What TMS symptom(s) do you have? neck shoulder issues withchronic stiffness and occasional accute pain burning tongue, allergies, fatigue, have had past palpitations, they responed well to TMS awareness

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? Very important. I think so.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) Pretty high, difficult to let go of

Do you feel like you are a bad person? Sometimes

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? Yes, to a fault.

Are you afraid or concerned with death? Not so much for myself but for those I'd leave.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? Pretty high but not in a speedy type A way, more contempletive and methodical

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? I'm afraid of cancer.

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Some, but very unsubstantiated.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? I gradually became less meticulous.

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? My sensitivity to emotions and feelings of others.

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.) Yes.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? It's decent but not an emotionally open relationship. They didn't express many feelings openly. It is a challenge for me. I can express anger. Not always productively but I'm working on it.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? Yes, More frequently than pleasant ones. Less so lately. 3 a month?

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Yes, I am quite often happy enough. Content yes, I would like more happiness!

Were you a hyperactive child? No

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? no
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000