TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A questionnaire for ALL TMS sufferers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  12:12:18  Show Profile
I was curious about how the dizzies and other TMS sufferers would answer the following questions. I am not sure, but my hunch is that people who suffer from TMS dizziness may have a different kind of problem then, let's say, someone who suffers from chronic back pain. Of course, in both people there is an underlying, redirection of attention away from "bad" or "unwanted" feelings, but the nature or "level" of those feelings may be qualitatively different. This is what I am wondering about. Maybe this will get us somewhere, maybe it won’t. I am really just going with a hunch here.

From this questionnaire, we may begin to be able to "map-out" particular TMS disorders with particular kinds of people. If this actually brings in some valuable information, we can use it to build on.

Answer questions on a scale of 1-10 (when applicable).

What TMS symptom(s) do you have?

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people?

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)

Do you feel like you are a bad person?

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others?

Are you afraid or concerned with death?

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself?

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they?

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth?

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)?

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents?

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently?

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy?

Were you a hyperactive child?

As a child, did you have a learning disorder?

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Dizzy Dave

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  13:11:22  Show Profile
Hey, Dave,

I responded on the other thread and now realize I was supposed to score it from 1-10, not give write a thesis on each question. Duh! Sorry!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  13:14:35  Show Profile
Laura,

Actually, you answered in the right way. All I have to say at this point is...wow! It's incredible to see your feedback. I am going to hold my thoughts until I read more.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Albert

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  13:45:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dizzy dave

From this questionnaire, we may begin to be able to "map-out" particular TMS disorders with particular kinds of people. If this actually brings in some valuable information, we can use it to build on.

SORRY, BUT I CAN'T DO THAT NUMBERING THING.
OFTEN: LOWER BACK PAIN, OVERACTIVE NERVES (since I was a kid, don't know if it is due to TMS)
INFREQUENTLY: UPPER BACK PAIN, NECK PAIN, BUTTOCK PAIN, GROIN AREA PAIN, FRONT LEFT THIGH PAIN, HIP PAIN, KNEE PAIN (either knee), GAS (in belching form), FOOT PAIN (either foot), WRIST PAIN, RIGHT QUADRICEP PAIN, ANXIETY, TENSION HEADACHE, ALLERGIES, SORE GUMS, IBS, DIZZINESS, (rare occasions will occur when I'm dizzy after standing up from squating), CALF CRAMPS, ANKLE PAIN, NUMB ARMS, TINITUS, EAR PAIN

How important is it for you to be a good person? VERY IMPORTANT Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? PROBABLY.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait)
A FAIR AMOUNT.

NOT AT ALL.

I'VE ALWAYS FELT I WAS, BUT AFTER FINDING OUT ABOUT TMS NOT AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT.
YES.
ABOVE AVERAGE. IN SOME AREAS VERY SMART.
I'M SORT OF AFRAID OF DOGS. IF ONE IS WALKING DOWN THE STREET IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS ME, I'LL CROSS THE STREET. I'M SORT OF CLAUSTROPHOBIC. BUT I DID OKAY IN AN MRI MACHINE LAST DECEMBER (I did keep my eyes closed). NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE WITH AN ACHING BACK WAS THE HARD PART.
(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth?
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO MEMORIES OF SUCH OCCURENCES. BUT WHO KNOWS?
I DIDN'T BECOME A GOOD STUDENT UNTIL COLLEGE. MY ATTENTION SPAN IS KIND OF LOUSY, AND I WAS LAZY IN SCHOOL.
In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?
WELL UH, I'M KEENLY AWARE ABOUT HOW WE CAN BE FOOLED BY OUR MINDS. I'M NOT QUICK TO TRUST THINGS. I FOUND THIS OUT THROUGH EXPERIENCE. MIGHT BE SLOWING ME DOWN FOR THE TMS RECOVERY PROCESS, BUT, OH WELL. ANOTHER THING, I DON'T TEND TO BE JUDGMENTAL OF OTHER PEOPLE. I REALIZE THAT IF I WENT THROUGH THEIR LIFE EXPERIENCES I'D PROBABLY BE JUST LIKE THEM.
Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)
ONE NIGHT WHILE ON THE RECOVERY PROCESS. I EXPERIENCED INTENSE ANXIETY 4 TIMES FOLLOWED BY VIOLENT THROWING UP.
I'VE ALSO WOKEN UP A FEW TIMES WITH SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND ANXIETY, BUT IDENTIFIED IT AS TMS OR AN EQUIVALENT AND IT DOESN'T REMAIN A PROBLEM.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? YES EXCEPT THAT THEY WERE ALWAYS THE BOSS. OVER THE KNEE SPANKINGS AND BELT WHIPPINGS ENGRAINED THIS FACT (?) INTO MY MIND. If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents?
I EXPRESSED ANGER, BUT NEVER HATRED (maybe when I was a kid, I can't remember). I DON'T FEEL LIKE I HATE THEM. THEY WEREN'T PERFECT, BUT BASICALLY GOOD WELL MEANING PARENTS WHO HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE. THEY DO BELIEVE THAT KIDS SHOULD BE SPANKED WHEN NECESSARY.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently?
I REMEMBER A LOT OF THEM. DISTURBING DREAMS INFREQUENTLY. I HAD ONE THE OTHER NIGHT AND INSTEAD OF COWERING AWAY FROM IT AFTER WAKING UP, I THOUGHT ABOUT IT FOR A WHILE.
Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy?
RIGHT NOW MY PURPOSE IS BEATING TMS.
YES, EVENTHOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FULL DEFINITION IS. I'D USUALLY ROCK WHEN I SAT IN A CHAIR, HAD A HARD TIME PAYING ATTENTION IN CLASS, AND MY NERVOUS SYSTEM WAS OVERACTIVE.
I HAD A GOOD APTITUDE FOR LEARING BUT DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION WELL. I DID HAVE A SPEACH IMPEDIMENT WHEN I WAS REAL YOUNG.

P.S. I'M AT WORK AND DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO SPELL CHECK THE ABOVE.

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Dizzy Dave

Go to Top of Page

Carol

91 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  11:45:28  Show Profile
I would suggest adding age to this questionaire.

1) I am 65
2) I have had TMS symptoms of some kind for most of my life (although I had never heard of Dr. Sarno until about 5 years ago). I had coccydnia in elementary school, tension headaches as a teenager, reflux, severe allergy attacks, and stomach pain during my first marriage, knee pain, migraine headaches, dizziness, vertigo, chronic stiff necks, burning mouth, TMJ, and finally back and leg pain. My symptoms tended to be one at a time. It seemed that as one got better another took it's place.

3) I am a classic goodist, but also a really bad perfectionist.
4) I am guilty of everything, whether I had anything to do with it or not.
5) I don't feel so much like a bad person as I do a worthless person. I constantly have to be needed by somebody to validate my existence.
6) Very much in-tune with emotions, mine and others.
7) At age 65 I am very much concerned with end of life issues, such as whether I need long term care insurance, are my affairs in order, what can I do to stay healthy and active, etc. I think I am concerned with these things to a normal extent, not excessively.
8) I know my IQ, so I know I am intelligent.
9) No phobias, but I really dislike supermarkets.
10) No rape or other molestation to my knowledge.
11) Very good student.
12) What seperates me from others, empathy
13) Good relationship with mother and sister, bad relationship with father and brother. No problem expressing anger toward them
14) I usually remember my dreams. When I have a bad dream it is usually about getting lost or falling. I had lots of "flying" dreams when I was a kid.
15) I am basically happy. I am not retired so I have to volunteer and help people to feel like I have purpose. As I said in answer to a previous question, I must justify my existence by being needed by someone!!!!!!!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

elise8

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  15:05:37  Show Profile

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Shoulder pain, TMJ, at times back pain, lower, middle and upper (not too bad for about 2 years or so, vertigo has taken over), leg/toe cramps, cold hands and feet at times, dizziness, vertigo at times, ear fullness, hearing flucuations, strange sensations in my head.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Pretty important. Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? Maybe

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) MODERATE

Do you feel like you are a bad person? No, just made some mistakes.
Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? YES, sometimes too much in tune.

Are you afraid or concerned with death? Sometimes. More lately as I get older.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? Above average.
Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? I am claustrophobic.
(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Sexually attacked by a man when I was 20 years old. I kicked him in the right place and managed to get away.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? YES

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? Compassion

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.)YES - had anxiety and panic that was severe during initial onset of vertigo. This has since gone away (the anxiety, not the vertigo).

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents?
Generally a good relationship, especially when younger, although my Dad became an alcoholic when I reached age 10 or so and I was sometimes very ashamed of him, i.e., did not want my friends to meet him. None of my boyfriends during high school ever met him. Sometimes I felt ingnored by him as he was always more interested in drinking and partying than what I was doing. My mom and I were closer. I was very close to my mom and devstated at her death. I was angry at my Dad when my parents got a divorce when I was 20.
Do you remember your dreams? MOST OF THE TIME. If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? NOT ANY MORE. Used to dream of getting lost quite often and used to dream of being swallowed up by a tidal wave, reoccuring dream for many years. Do not have those dreams any more.

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Not really. Not since the kids left home. My husband is depressed or angry quite a bit because of financial problems which makes me very unhappy as I can't seem to help him feel better

Were you a hyperactive child? NO

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? NO

Elise8
Go to Top of Page

Hilary

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  06:34:24  Show Profile
quote:

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Dizziness, itchiness, low back pain and sciatica (the last 2 are pretty much gone).

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? My default position is definitely "be good, make them like me". It happens without me even noticing! I'm working on this in therapy.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait). These days, fairly low, but I used to feel guilty about everything.

Do you feel like you are a bad person? Mmmmm....No, not really.

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? As someone else said, r eading about TMS had made me realize to a shocking degree - even with lots of therapy - how little I'm in tune with the "darker side" of my nature.

Are you afraid or concerned with death? No more than the average person. In other words, yes - but not obsessively so.

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? This one's tough. I'm intelligent and pick things up fast, but my memory is terrible.

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? No

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? "Traumatized", yes.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Yes, very

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? Intuition, compassion, huge interest in our internal lives.

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.) I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? Mixed relationship. No, overtly expressing anger to my parents is ver difficult.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? I do remember my dreams; rarely have nightmares (maybe once a month).

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? Searching for my purpose and no, I'm not content.

Were you a hyperactive child? No

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Dizzy Dave

Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  08:51:44  Show Profile
A questionnaire??? I LOVE these things!!

1.TMS symptoms?:(in the past...symptom free now) Back pain,sciatica,shoulder,neck,forearm,elbow,knees,OCD,respiratory infections and ???????????????

2.How important is it to be "good"??...10+

3.What level of guilt? 10 plus...I "killed" my father,am a horrible parent and husband

4.Bad person ? 10+ I have the word "LOSER" tattoed on my right arm.

5.Do I feel "in tune" ? All I ever do is feel...I wish I could turn it off(drug abuse)

6.Death? My OCD was a years long occupation with the morbid and visions of Heaven and hell and damnation.

7.How intelligent? I was ranked #1 in my class in High school..top 1/10th % in the nation in Algebra NEDT....barely graduated(busy running a lucrative "enterprise")

8. Phobias? Crowds,confined places,OCD(germs,guilt for everything)Highways/driving,The opposite sex,NOT confronting people(letting things go)

9.Raped /traumatized?? I wondered about this,but none that I can remember.My father died when I was 5,and I was certain it was my fault.

10. Good student?? For a period,until school was so easy,I dropped out.I was thrown out of a school with the highest GPA in my class...in the advanced program...the principal told my best friends "The problem with him is school is just too easy,and he's a bad example for the rest of you"

11.What quality separates me from others?? Super sensitive...overly conscientious to the point of detriment.

12.Panic attack?? Yes,emergency room the first couple of times...now I know what they are and drink water and relax...haven't had one in 6 months.

13.Rela's with Parents?? Only had one,my Mother.She was on vacation for most of my childhood...raised by babysitters and the system.I get along with and love my Mom,but we were not close until recently.

14.Dreams?? Yeah..don't we all?? a lot of nightmares about not being good enough,brave enough,tough enough.

15.Purpose in life?? Still figuring that one out...I think next week I'll have it !!

16.Hyperactive?? Many teachers recommended to my mother that I be medicated....I finally figured out how to do it myself later in life(narcotic addictions)

17.Learning disorder?? when we moved to the USA when I was 6,they determined I was learning disabled and I was put in special education.I could NOT learn how to read....By the age of 10 I was speed reading and the 2nd fastest in my grade. By the age of 12,they backtracked and decided I was "gifted"....I won the school spelling bee spelling :
anti-disestablishmentarianism...at that time the longest word in the english language

That was fun....now I can see even MORE descrepancies in my life!!

That covered a lot of good topics.Perhaps one more should be about religious and moral upbringing.I was raised Harvard-sweater-over-the-shoulder atheist,but always deep down was certain of the existence of God...

I've spent the lionshare of my life studies investigating things of a non-material,spiritual nature...also very helpful in my recovery from TMS...I believe in evolution,but to the fundamentalist one might pose the question: Do you think God designed you to live a life of chronic pain?

The OCDer in me would have answered "yes",but as I move down the road,I've learned that God loves us and all healing will be found inside of the truth.....you can walk up the hill on the intellectual side or the spritiual side...either way,you'll get to the top and see that there are 2 sides.And either way,you will be healed...but you have to start walking.

peace,love and woodstock

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  08:47:43  Show Profile
Laura, Albert, Baseball, Hillary, Elise & Carol,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to answer these questions. I find it fascinating and I hope you do to.

Once again I have an overwhelming desire to delve into my thoughts on the responses already and to begin some sort of analysis, but I want to wait a bit after (hopefully) more people chime in. I would also like to talk with all of you. There are so many questions I’d like to ask. I would love to know in more description, for instance, what Elise’s tidal wave dreams were like, because, interestingly, I have also had tidal wave dreams for years. That is just one simple similarity that may have a similar or even identical cause or maybe none at all. Many of us have some degree of claustrophobia (I actually do not). Nearly all of us want to “help” others to an extreme. We all need to feel wanted by other people. I think that most people want to be wanted and loved by others, but something tells me that we are “super” focused on such things. Most of us are intelligent, whether we struggled with that socially or academically at some point in our life. Guilt is overpowering in just about all of us. The “observations” go on and on. I just hope that all of us study this and ask questions from it. I can say without any embellishment that my personality in its detailed expression can be found in some weird combination of all of you. I found that remarkable. Out 6 people, I find myself. Taking life experience, writing style and gender difference out of the equation and I find that Laura and I are nearly identical. I am sure that many of you would find similarities in everyone else as well.

I am trying to stay honest here, but wouldn’t it be interesting if all the TMS ailments were some sort of “program” specifically designed to fit a particular psyche; the unconscious minds’ way of dealing with the hand we were dealt. Food for thought, I suppose. Has anyone read or heard of such an idea? If so, I surely would like to know about it.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  11:16:33  Show Profile
quote:
but wouldn’t it be interesting if all the TMS ailments were some sort of “program” specifically designed to fit a particular psyche; the unconscious minds’ way of dealing with the hand we were dealt. Food for thought, I suppose. Has anyone read or heard of such an idea? If so, I surely would like to know about it.

Hi Dave.

This is actually a very old idea.Freud was certain that definite psychological dilemmas created specific symptomology.He wrote extensively on the subject...one of the most famous essays/stories is titled "Dora"....you might want to look it up.
In the story,he concludes that her chronic cough and throat irritation are directly linked to a sordid love quadrangle regarding her father and another couple.When he brings his observations to her attention in therapy,she denies it(consciously) but her symptoms evaporate.Also,sarno points out a few other Dr.s who followed this idea in HBP.
I'm currently reaing Louise Hays' "You can heal your life",and she has a whole list of psychological situations that correspond to symptoms.

FYI...under Dizzyness she has : Scattered thinking,flighty,a refusal to look

I felt like I was coming down with a Flu or cold this week....the chills,weak,sinuses burning,throat scratchy....I used the tools I've been learning(and that are continuously reinforced on this forum) and it literally dissolved....I was out playing Baseball the next day!!
I could feel a literal war inside of my body....I wanted to tell my Boss that I didn't feel well and go home and crawl into bed....and I would have certainly become sick.I just kept falling and fighting,like being on a boat at sea...crests and troughs....I kept saying out loud "No! I don't believe you...I am fine...My life is organized and I am making decisions(indecisiveness is her diagnosis for colds/respiratory ailments)...
My mind kept going back to the day before,when I had been sweating bullets in a hot home,and then going out into the arctic outdoors.over and over....I have always been told that being hot and sweaty and changing temperatures causes colds...B.S.

Anyways....My wife commented the other day that the whole Family has been well for months....We've also been collectively working on our spiritual and emotional lives...coincidence??? I'm not so sure...usually by now we would have had several episodes....

somethings in the water...and the air.

like,Healing??

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  13:09:32  Show Profile
quote:

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? TMJ, tension headaches, facial numbness, shoulder pain. Previously lower back pain.

How important is it for you to be a good person? VERY
Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? YES

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) A LOT OF GUILT QUITE OFTEN

Do you feel like you are a bad person? YES

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? SOMETIMES

Are you afraid or concerned with death? YES

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? ABOVE AVERAGE

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? YES..FEAR OF FLYING, PUBLIC SPEAKING, SOCIAL ANXIETY, ARGUMENTS

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? SOMETIMES, BUT IT'S NEVER BEEN PROVEN OR ADMITTED BY ANYONE

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? YES, EXCELLENT

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? I'M A VERY EMOTIONAL PERSON

Have you ever had a panic attack? YES (SEVERAL)

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? NO
If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? YES, SOMETIMES

Do you remember your dreams? NO, HARDLY EVER
If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently?

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? NO

Were you a hyperactive child? NO

Go to Top of Page

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  17:57:57  Show Profile
Hey Steve, I was just wondering--since I suffer from "TMJ" and "tension headaches" as well--what your experience has been utilizing the TMS protocol? Hope everyone is feeling well.

Seth
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  19:46:33  Show Profile
Seth - I was able to eliminate the TMJ and headaches with the Sarno technique once before for a few years, however I had a recurrence last year that I'm still dealing with, which started up almost immediately after I moved to a new city while at same time GF started putting pressure on me about marriage. By my own admission, I have not been doing the "emotional homework" I need to be to get fully better, out of sheer laziness. But I speak from experience that it can work if you try.
Go to Top of Page

Ginag

51 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  16:33:05  Show Profile
Hi Dave, Sorry for no responding sooner but here goes.....
1. What TMS symptoms--Dizziness & constant imbalance, neck and shoulder pain, had major allergies until I found Dr. Sarno's book
2. How important to be good? Very important and I care about it more than most.
3. Amount of Guilt? Low to moderate.
4. Bad person?? No.
5. In tune with emotions mine and others?? Yes, exceptionately!!!
6. Afraid and concerned with death?? Always have been and even more so as I age (age 55).
7. How intelligent?? Extremely intelligent.
8. Phobias?? Claustrophobia, fear of heights, had major fear of flying but fought that one away when I was in my 20's, insects, since my imbalance began I don't like being in large places (like a mall) without holding on to someone's arm.
9. Have I been molested or traumatized? As a child, was often beaten by my mother and also witnessed my father being violent with my mother on several occasions.
10. Was I good in school? Yes, always at the top of my class.
11. What quality separates me from others?? Passionate and insightful.
12. Panic attacks?? Yes, been hospitalized several times for chest pains, which turned out to be anxiety attacks.
13. Did I have a good relationship with parents?? NO.
14. Can I express anger or hatred toward them? YES - finally!!!
15. Do I remember dreams? Yes, very frequently I occasionally have dreams where I am angry at what someone did to me in the dream, and then when I awaken, I am very dizzy.
16. Do I have a purpose in life? Not so much now that my 2 sons are adults. Am I happy or content? Yes, I realize what I have is a lot more than most but having my mother live with me and my husband is the one fly in the ointment.
17. Was I hyperactive? No.
18. Did I have a learning disorder? No
Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  03:32:16  Show Profile
Hi Dave, apologies for not responding to your post earlier.

What TMS symptoms do you have?
--Some of these I have had in the past and some I have now. Others come any go: Multiple tendonitis (forearms, wrists, shoulders, left knee, achilles etc), back pain, sciatica, tailbone pain, right hamstring and calf tightness, twitching all over body all day for several months at a time (feels like the common eye-twitch but moves around the body with each twitch), hayfever, anxiety, heart palpitations, sudden feelings of everything being unreal, tinnitus, indigestion, bloated, gassy stomach every afternoon....I'm sure I've left something out.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people?
--I am desperate to be liked and approved of by everyone - especially people that I feel at all intimidated by (and that's a lot of people). I have been told by therapists that I am seeking parental approval from people.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait).
--Not sure about this one. I definitely have a lot of guilt in specific situations. E.g. I've been told that I overempathise with my dog. I hate leaving him alone for too long as I know what it's like to feel lonely (even though I'm in a long term relationship).

--Oh yes, a lot of the time I feel selfish and self-obsessed as I struggle to deal with my pain and emotions.

--Yes and no. I'm a very emotional, overly sensitive person and I've been told by people that I'm very self-aware but since learning about TMS I am realising more and more that I am really afraid of conflict and although I feel a lot of anger I really hold it in check. I used to say I never felt real anger, only irritation but recently I have begun to feel that if I tug hard enough on the line I'll pull up some really scary anger that's boiling under the surface. Uggghh - mixed metaphors!
Was told by therapists who saw our family all together in one session (when I was a teenager) that I had anxiety because my mother wasn't expressing her anger and I could sense it was there.

--Extremely. Earliest memory of this fear was as a 9 year old. It faded to some degree but was brought back by a cycle accident where I was very lucky to not have been killed. Broken knees and facial lacerations necessitating plastic surgery. Didn't feel invincible anymore after that.

--Academically above average. Socially below average. Emotionally - see "Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions..."

--Throwing up (feel like you can't breathe and your body has taken over), flying, being on boats or anything where you can't just get off if the motion is intense (it's not motion sickness - more the sense that I can't control the motion), mingling socially with no focus apart from small talk (but like playing board games with people or talking to other dog owners in the park as the dogs play). Also afraid of conflict. Witnessing two strangers in public getting angry at each other makes me very uncomfortable.

--No

--"Conscientious" was always on my report cards. The only bad marks I got were for public speaking and maths and teachers wanted me to contribute more to class discussions (too shy). I remember shaking with anxiety when I was 11 and the teacher was handing back graded assignments. I got straight A+'s that year but I always worried that I would get less than that.

--Over sensitive, over analytic, over anxious. Very self-conscious.

--Quite a few. Also generalized anxiety disorder.

--My parents seemed like angels compared to some of my friends' parents but I think they are both quite tense people and I do feel a bit of resentment that I seem to have got this from them and then gone on to develop into an anxious person growing up. Now I feel guilty as I know it's not their fault they're tense.

--Remember lots of dreams. Like Carol I had heaps of flying dreams when I was a kid. A few bad dreams. One really awful nightmare that I refer to in the post titled: "Nightmares as TMS equivalent?". This dream was so bad that I finally realised that you could prefer physical pain to emotions (the dream showed me how scared I was of the anger I have deep inside).

--Not happy but TMS success stories have given me hope. Until recently I have felt that pain derailed my life but now I know it's my reactions to my emotions that have done this so my immediate purpose is to work on this. Once I have got rid of the restrictive pain I want to help others who have the tendency towards TMS.

--No

--No

Kat
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  10:29:32  Show Profile
Wow!!!! I am seeing myself in so many of these posts it's uncanny. Kat, I cannot believe how similar you and I are. I feel as if I could have written most of what you said (i.e. fear of public speaking, seeking parental approval from other people, not to mention some of the symptoms such as tinnitus, stomach problems, etc.). Gina, we share the dizziness with neck and shoulder pain (I forgot to mention my neck pain when I answered the questionnaire) and difficulties in dealing with our parents. You and I are a lot alike. I'm glad so many people are coming on board and answering these questions. Thanks again, Dave, for spear heading this questionnaire. I'm anxious to read more as they come in.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Hestia

21 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  22:21:35  Show Profile
I have had plantar fasciitis, tarsal tunnel, migraine headaches, irritable bowel, eczema, allergies, back pain, knee pain, calf pain and probably more I am forgetting.

It is very important for me to be a good person. I think more than most people.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel?
I think I feel a moderate to high level of guilt. Sometimes I obsess over it more than others.

No.

Definitely yes.

Yes, but try not to think about it. It does get more so as I get older.

Very intelligent with limitations.

I am scared of heights and I think I have a certain amount of social anxiety disorder.

No, not that I know of.

Yes, I was a good student.

Sensitivity.

Have you ever had a panic attack?
No.

Yes.

Rarely ever.

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I am working on being content and happy.

No.

No.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  05:46:24  Show Profile
TMS symptoms I had - don't really experience many problems now:- lower back pain (by far the worst symptom) gastro upsets, neck and shoulder pain on left side (never so severe)

Good person - very much so, always trying to please people

Generalised guilt - quite a bit

Bad person - not really, no worse than the majority

In-tune with emotions - my own, not at all until I began to treat my TMS and anxiety. Other people's - very much so

Afraid of death - no more than average

Intelligence - above average

Phobias - none really

Raped or abused - no

Good student - yes, very in elementary school; very bad in high school - not badly behaved but did no work and left with no qualifications. Returned to education in my twenties and got a good degree

What separates me from others - I'm a very good listener and very loyal to those I care about and I never show anger (except to my poor husband)

Panic attacks - only for a period of about six months when the back pain and anxiety was pretty unbearable

Relationship with parents - very mixed, couldn't confide in either of them.

Dreams/nightmares - rarely, not troublesome

Purpose in life - To always be there for my children. They are adults now, but I still feel that.

Hyperactive child - not at all, outwardly very placid and easy to bring up (according to my parents)

Learning disorders - none

Let us know if you think that you can draw any conclusions from our answers, Dave. I'd be very interested to know if you do.

Best wishes

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  22:22:33  Show Profile
I have already responded to this post but I wanted to pull it to the top again so any newbies can answer the questions.

Kat
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  07:43:35  Show Profile
Kat,

Thanks for getting it back to the top.

I wanted everyone to know that I haven't forgotten what you wrote about in your answers. I am currently trying to get a client of mine to work on getting a study done. I thought that maybe if enough people responded here, then maybe it would be interesting enough for someone to act on.

I hope all is well and that there has been some relief from TMS symptoms. I am thankful to say that I have had a dizzy-free 10 days or so now. I can only relate it to meeting you guys here on the forum. I am actually thinking about getting back on the treadmill.

Thanks,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  08:58:04  Show Profile
Hey, Dave -

I was so happy to read this morning that you have had 10 dizzy free days. Wow!!!! That is so great!!!!! Keep up the good work!

I just had to share that since my tummy has been acting up big time and I've been to the gastro doc and am fixating on how bad it hurts, I haven't really been dizzy. Yesterday, I attempted to go to the gym even though I was in pain and misery. I got on the treadmill and for the FIRST time, I didn't feel dizzy or think about being dizzy. Instead, my thoughts were "My stomach hurts" and "I wonder if all this jiggling is bad for my stomach" and "I hope I don't have something seriously wrong with my stomach." Also, I have to have a medical procedure done this morning and I'm not too stressed but was thinking about that quite a bit and hoping it won't hurt too much. But, NO dizziness - and, NO thinking of dizziness. Huge progress!!!!

Keep on collecting the data and thanks for doing what you're doing!

Laura
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000