TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A questionnaire for ALL TMS sufferers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Caroline

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  15:53:43  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

I am a new member. Here are my answers to your poll. I found it therapeutic to fill it up!
It did not escape me that I say "NO" to some questions and then proceed to contradict myself in my answer to another question!

What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Tinnitus, TMJ, neck spasm, mental fog, bouts of anxiety and rapid heartbeat, headaches, tight throat feeking. In the past I have had lower back pain, IBS, constipation, stomach pain, anaphylactic shock, asthma.

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? I can’t figure it out. Part of me thinks I do but I treat everybody so badly, I can’t possibly care about being perceived as good.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) Again I am not sure. I think I feel guilty about not being a better spouse and daughter.

Do you feel like you are a bad person? Sometimes I feel like a weak, spoiled brat.

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? I am always aware of my anger but other feelings may be repressed?

Are you afraid or concerned with death? Yes. I always fear accidents (driving, boating, swimming, etc.)

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? People say I am very intelligent

Do you have any phobias? If so, what are they? Driving, heights,

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? I can’t remember anything before the age of 6 (is that normal?) but after that, I remember my mother being domineering and spanking me and my brother for no real good reason.

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Excellent

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people?

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.) I have had many panic attacks and saw a psychologist for a while who helped me overcome them. Then headaches and dizziness took over.

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? No, they fought all the time and my mom would have us take sides against my dad. I have always felt a lot of hatred towards my mom and do feel guilty about that. My father is dead. I loved him very much but could never connect with him. He was very introverted.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? I have had recurring dreams about being swallowed by a tidal wave, standing on a very high platform. I sometimes dream about flying and that’s really pleasant!

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? No.That’s my big problem now. I have always been very driven but now I can’t get interested in anything. Not even leisurely activities.

Were you a hyperactive child? Not really but my mom says I was clingy.

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? No

Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  03:15:22  Show Profile
I just wanted to bring this thread to the attention of the newer arrivals here so they had a chance to build on it if they wish....

I have found it a really good way to get a sense of where other people are coming from with their TMS experience.

Kat
Go to Top of Page

Scout

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  08:46:05  Show Profile
Thanks for letting me share!
What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Hip and low back pain, anxiety, and constipation. In the past I have had TMJ and headaches

How important is it for you to be a good person? Do you think that you care about being a “good” person more than most people? It is very important to me to be considered not only a good person but well rounded. I will avoid conflict at work and with family to avoid being what I consider "caddy" and because of this I repress a lot.

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? (I mean not for any specific event or character trait) I feel VERY guilty towards my mother. She is all alone and cannot afford retirement. On top of that I don't enjoy spending time with her

Do you feel like you are a bad person? No, when my pain is low I consider myself fairly successful at being a good person

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? I have always consider myself very capable of reading other peoples feelings. I tend to repress my own

Are you afraid or concerned with death? Not at all--I don't let myself think about it

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? I am very intelligent if you consider multiple areas

Do you have any phobias? No

(Were you or) Do you have any suspicions of being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Never

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Good/Excellent

In your own words, what quality do you feel separates you from most other people? I am well-rounded

Have you ever had a panic attack? (Period of extreme anxiety and physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, shakiness, dizziness, and racing thoughts. Initial attacks are often reported to feel like a heart attack due to the heart palpitations.) I wake up in the middle of the night with them. I will be worried about some small irrational thing concerning work and then I am unable to go back to sleep for a couple of hours
Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? If not, are you able to overtly express anger or even hatred towards your parents? I have a great but distant relationship with my dad. My mom left when I was five and I only saw her during the summers. I don't respect her and feel she has made many sad choices in her life. I tend to be rude to her but try really hard not to be.

Do you remember your dreams? If so, do you have disturbing or troubling dreams, nightmares or night terrors? How frequently? No

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? I do feel like I have purpose. I am a teacher and a mother and both of those things are "no brainers" when it comes to purpose.
Were you a hyperactive child? Not at all
As a child, did you have a learning disorder? No but I had a speech impediment

Scout
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  15:54:43  Show Profile
What TMS symptom(s) do you have? Butt pain, All back pain, upper and lower

How important is it for you to be a good person? I think I care more than most about being a do-gooder, in addition I seek credit for my goodness (not so good)

What level of “generalized” guilt do you feel? Very high level

Do you feel like you are a bad person? Nope

Do you feel like you are “in-tune” with your emotions and others? Very much so

Are you afraid or concerned with death? Not that I'm aware of

How intelligent would you “rate” yourself? On 1-10 scale, a 7

Do you have any phobias? No

Being raped, molested or traumatized by an adult during your early youth? Yes, family sexual abuse very young

Were (are) you a good student in school (elementary, high, college, etc.)? Very good student as youngster, probably to please my abusive father, so so as a high school/college student when he wasn't around

What quality do you feel separates you from most other people? Great sense of humor; able to laugh at myself

Have you ever had a panic attack? No, just lingering anxiety sometimes

Do (did) you have a good relationship with your parents? No, very abusive father, and distant from a mother who couldn't show love. I can express this with good friends.

Do you remember your dreams? I don't remember a lot of them but lately with the knowledge of TMS I am having dreams of people I've had relationships with and the stupid Exorcist girl once. Tee hee

Do you feel like you have “purpose” in life and would you consider yourself content or happy? I don't know what my purpose is yet at age 39, I am pretty content, but can quickly get depressed when in the throes of back spasms. I feel suicidal.

Were you a hyperactive child? Nope

As a child, did you have a learning disorder? Nope

Edited by - marytabby on 04/02/2005 15:55:35
Go to Top of Page

dizzy dave

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  15:42:35  Show Profile
I just wanted to get this back up to the top. I also wanted to add a few questions if I may.

1) Have you or do you currently have any involvement in narcotics, alcohol or some other substance? If so, please divulge.

2) What is you religious background? If you do not have a particular faith, would you consider yourself spiritual?

3) What is your relation to sex and/or sexuality? Do you feel like you have a "normal" sex drive?

That's it for now. Please answer these 3 questions in addition to the earlier questions if you are new and if you have already answered the questionnaire, please take the time to add these.

Thanks!

DizzyDave
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  06:51:48  Show Profile
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with these questions?

I tolerated the first questionnaire but I seriously question the value of continuing this thread.
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  07:37:34  Show Profile
Dave from the very beginning was wondering the very same thing.

Making connections of symptoms and personalities, noting a pattern may be helpful.
But does not constitute a working MBP approach for each individual.
Doctor Sarno has already laid this out in his 30 years of work and has shared it with us in his books.

You can learn what effects a TMS sufferer, but it will not identify, nor isolate a particular set of symptoms without the MBP application.

Each one of us has a very different and complex makeup in which TMS has effected us. The working theory in it self has proven similarities. But the primary goal in to treating our TMS symptoms must be self examined to find the root of our TMS manifestations.

Just my 2 cents
Kenny V

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

Kajsa

Denmark
144 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  07:52:21  Show Profile
"I seriously question the value of continuing this thread."

Agree !

Kajsa
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:25:18  Show Profile
I think the line of questioning might have gone a little far and off topic with the questions about alcohol/narcotics, sex and religion.

I will say that I found it useful to read about all the different TMS pain sites and equivalents everyone has experienced. It reiterated for me that my IBS, constipation, skin problems etc. are nothing more than TMS equivalents. It also showed me to what extent being a "goodist" feeds in to this. Some of the family background stories I was also able to identify with and found interesting. It triggered some things for me to think about in my own psychological evaluation.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:28:23  Show Profile
This thread is officially closed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: