TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can tooth & gum pain be TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  05:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have this going on in one area of my mouth for about three months, did the rounds at the drs and dentists, no casue. Can this be TMS? I amhaving a hard time believing it could be, maybe that is why I cant get over it. Just seems a stretch.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  08:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shannclapp

Can this be TMS?

YES

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Edited by - tennis tom on 04/17/2011 09:19:11
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  08:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stop worrying about it. If you do, very good chance it will go away.
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  09:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not been able to stop the obsessing, i am going to try my hardest. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  10:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have not been able to stop the obsessing, i am going to try my hardest. Thanks

What you've just said is almost a surefire indication of TMS. Fear/worry leads to symptom which leads to more fear and worry.

it's fear that keeps your symptom alive. It's the oxygen necessary for it to live. You can withhold that oxygen, thereby killing the symptom.

You have the power.
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, so what do I do to help the habit of thinking about the pain, best tips??
Under too much stress right now, moving, getting two mortgages, renting etc etc, but my point is there is nothing I can do about the stress. So what can I do?
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  14:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also it feels like the roof of my mouth/gum area is irritated/burned. It sort of moves around this one quadrant of my mouth all day. So it appears like it is moving BUT stays in the same area. AGHHHHH Going crazy
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  14:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS self treatment is a leap of faith. It's hard to suppose that pain, actual pain, often severe in nature, is not tied to physical abnormalities..But it very often is not.

From what you've said so far, you certainly fit the TMS profile. You've been to doctors, dentists, they tell you there's nothing wrong. It's time to take that leap of faith.

How? Strive to be logical. Think about how the pain seems to move around, how it varies in intensity, how it might be more likely to increase at certain times, or even when you're in certain places. Understand that you're under a great deal of stress, the perfect time to develop psychosomatic symptoms...

It's rare that people come to this forum who don't belong here..

Read the books, post on the forum, think psychological. Stop fearing the pain and the pain will almost certainly go away.

Edited by - art on 04/17/2011 14:19:05
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  14:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I most definalty appreciate your reply. This is only my latest, if i gave you my history of medical things that were chronic but never had a casue by the 100 drs i have been to.
To me this is just so bizare cause it is in my mouth. Thus making me fear it longer and harder = keeping it alive.
How importnat is journaling in your opinion? When I first started I found loads of things to journal about but I felt like i was beating a dead horse and looking for things to be "upset" about in my everyday & past. Made me more depressed.
Anyway THANKS I really aprreciate any input and replies.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  15:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, journaling is not only not helpful for some people, it's probably counterproductive. You've a raging case of TMS/hypochondria and the way out is
to get out of your own head. Breathe, exercise, learn to let go. Fear and worry will not keep the grim reaper away. Accept mortality, find things to love, and try to enjoy your precious days of life.

Keep it simple. Understand who the enemy is (fear), and fight back for all you're worth.
Think of it as a challenge.

I'd also consider therapy with someone conversant with psychosomatic disorders.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  15:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, I am doing Dr. Schubiner's program now, just with the book. I read what you said about journaling but this book has many blank pages on which to write our thoughts (he gives specific assignments). Some are letters to people, some are anything that bothered you in the past. A LOT of journaling in that sense. I imagine he feels it's cathartic and this is the way out, to finally release everything that's been pent up.

I know that I have kept a journal all of my adult life and when I look back, 10, 20 years ago, it's all the same ("why am I like this?" "When will I be like other people who don't think about their health?". Recording every pain. Did it help? I guess not, but then, I was not aware of all I've been reading in the past few months re:Sarno, Schubiner, and this board. So just complaining all the time was not productive.

To shannclapp, I can echo what you're saying. I felt a pizza burn pain today on the roof of my mouth, burning between 2 teeth on my hard palate and pain in a molar that's been there for 15 years. Not a day goes by where I don't have some mouth or tooth pain and it's very distressing because I anticipate the worst, like being in pain forever and no dentist can help me and I go mad.

What a damn pastime.
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  16:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww Susan, is your tooth pain what you have had for 15 yrs? Do your gums feel like burnt pizza? I guess that sounds more like BMS.

Art, I think my journaling made my symptoms expand to where they have my attention, the gums & teeth issue, and get angry at everyone, you have a lot of good advice. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  16:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be stating the obvious, but so many maladies seem to be caused by anxiety. If not caused by anxiety, at least made worse by it.

When I started here last fall I knew I was anxious but did not quite know what to do with the anxiety. I'd been all over anxiety web sites, www.anxietycentre.com being the most helpful, and I had read several books the size of IRS Tax Code explanations. The web site helped, the books did not. They wanted me to work and write and compare and on and on to uberanxiety.

When Dr. Claire Weekes was mentioned, I thought one more anxiety "crank", but she got some good reviews on here, so I bought her book and got the CDs. I must say the CDs were very helpful. In her calming but stern Aussie voice she put your symptoms right in order but more importantly explained WHAT you were feeling and WHAT to do about it: not fight; accept, float and take the time you need to recover from frazzled nerves. She was like your grandmother telling you from experience what you had and how you will get past it.

I think that when the treads appear about things that might not be centered around CNS problems necessarily, that we -- me included-- don't take the time to examine the components of anxiety and rationally decide if it has an organic cause or not. The first fear rushes in, then if I'm not careful, the second fear. Sometimes things DO get infected, after all. And....sometimes there are anxiety symptoms a bit more obscure that bother us but not somebody else. That's where I find anxietycentre so helpful.

I don't think I'm one for journaling and writing down illnesses. It tends to keep my focus right on them. I need active distraction after I decided if it is anxiety and medical care if it is not.

It's such a mess to have a hurricane in your head.

Edited by - Back2-It on 04/17/2011 16:51:00
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  19:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm certain journaling is great for some folks. But for many I think journaling is just another stressor. So many ask, "why am I not getting better when I spend hours every day furiously recording every thought and emotion?" It becomes just one more burden, one more thing that we're somehow not doing right...

In my experience, TMS self treatment is best kept as simple and stress free as possible. TRYING HARD rarely works. The harder we try to get better, the more stressed and anxious and fearful we feel, the very emotions that got us here in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  07:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree anxiety definatly is part of this all, not sure how it ties in exactly. I also agree the harder you fight it and try the worse it is. It is just so hard when the pain changes or appears in a new location like my teeth, that i throws you for a loop.
Is there anyone else who has recovered from tooth and gum pain?
Thanks for everything!
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  08:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for everything!

I've had tooth pain on and off at different times. I honestly find that they seem to be tied into sinus problems. Last week my bottom molars right side were extremely sensitive to hot and cold. This week not so much. But...I notice that I have a bit of a stuffy head. So maybe that's it.

I've also had gum pain that has come and gone. Could be sinus or it could be my mind, but as long as it wasn't doubling me over I let it go.

Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  08:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree anxiety definatly is part of this all, not sure how it ties in exactly. I also agree the harder you fight it and try the worse it is. It is just so hard when the pain changes or appears in a new location like my teeth, that i throws you for a loop.
Thanks for everything!

That your pain moves around is nothing but a good sign. That's a hallmark of TMS.
Understand that you won't really get better until you change the way you think. If you go off the deep end every time you notice a new symptom after the previous one has gone away, you've gained nothing. You're still on the same merry-go-round.

Fear is toxic. Literally. LIve with it day after day year after year, and it will eventually make you genuinely (that is physically) ill.

Every time you feel a pang of fear and worry, simply turn your attention away and focus on your breath. Do this every time and eventually you'll gain control over these very negative and destructive emotions. But it takes courage. No one can do it for you but you.

Asking questions iike, "has anyone recovered from teeth and mouth pain." is not helpful to you. I'll leave it to you to think about why.
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  09:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true, it just takes the leap of faith as you say. Thanks again, it means a lot all of the responses.
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  10:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just throwing something out to keep in mind that you are relatively new . This is FYI info ONLY, and I am not interested into getting into a debate with anyone on this forum.

After you do the TMS homework and maybe have NOT gotten better over time. Hence still have ongoing mouth/ teeth issues consider seeing a Biological dentist and or one who is HF free .
One who practices the IAOMT Protocol of proper HG removal. (See link below )

HTH
Kenny V

Based Biological Dentistry
The IAOMT is a network of dental, medical and research professionals who seek to raise the standards of scientific biocompatibility in the dental practice with information from the latest interdisciplinary research

http://www.iaomt.org/

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page

shannclapp

62 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So to put it simple for my self, to tell myself

The pain/sensation in my mouth is casued my tms, it is staying around due to my fear and neverending search for an answer. I need to look at all my stress(?) and know that is the casue of my pain and it will slowly fade away?

In essence I am being distracted by it and I need to end that. Even though there is pain it is nothing serious.

Ughh now jsut to find away to ignire the awful burning pain??
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  13:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need not ignore the pain entirely. That's very difficult. You only need not fear it.

As for what to tell yourself, those are good things you mentioned, but the main thing is to disengage EMOTIONALLY from the pain.

The general pattern as things stand is probably that you notice the pain, then experience an even more painful emotional twinge of fear and worry. Now you're off and running in a vicious spiral of fear and worry. It gets so bad you can't stand it any longer and before you know it you've made an appointment with yet another doctor or dentist. He or she tells you they can't find a thing wrong with you but it doesn't help because you don't really believe them.

Edited by - art on 04/18/2011 13:25:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000