TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Thanks for everything, guys and gals!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  06:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Utilizing The Law of Attraction

by Jack Canfield

The law of attraction states that you will attract into your life--whether wanted or unwanted--whatever you give your energy, focus, and attention to.

You are constantly giving off vibrations of energy when you think and feel. These vibrations can be picked up and received by other people. That's why people say, "he has good vibes," or "he gives off bad vibes." You are constantly giving off vibrations.

If you're feeling excited, enthusiastic, passionate, happy, joyful, loving, appreciative, abundant, prosperous, relaxed and peaceful, you are giving off positive vibrations.

On the other hand, if you are feeling bored, anxious, worried, confused, sad, lonely, hurt, angry, resentful, guilty, disappointed, frustrated, overwhelmed, stressed out, or depressed, then you are giving off negative vibrations.

The law of attraction states that the universe responds to whatever you are offering -- by giving you more of whatever you are vibrating. It doesn't care whether it is good for you or not; it simply responds to your vibration.

If you saw the film The Secret, you saw this explained in great detail.

The problem is that most of the time, you are not aware of what vibration you are offering. You are simply responding to things outside of you--current events, the news, how people treat you, the stock market, how much money you are making, how your children are doing in school, whether or not your favorite sports team wins--and then having a feeling that is either positive or negative.

When you are simply responding unconsciously to what happens around you, you tend to stay "stuck" in your current condition. This is why most people's lives never seem to change very much. They get stuck in a repeating cycle of recreating the same reality over and over by the vibration they are sending out.

It works like this... First you observe what you currently have and are currently receiving in your life. You call this your "reality." You respond to what you observe with a feeling, positive or negative, which then gives off that vibration to the universe. The law of attraction then responds to this vibration and brings you more of what you were vibrating. This keeps the cycle going over and over, until you choose to change it through the exertion of your will. You are a victim of your lack of awareness of the law of attraction.

The Process of Intentional Creation
It is possible to get out of this vicious cycle and create what you want instead of continually recreating what you already have. It is a simple three step process that you can begin immediately.

If you've been implementing the action steps at the end of each principle I coach you through in The Success Principles: 30-Day Journey Audio Course, you have already begun this process.

Step 1: Identify what you truly desire & eliminate the negative

It is important to focus on what you want rather than what you don't want. You must state it in the positive and filter out the words don't, not and no. Remember, your mind works in pictures and if you say I don't want to be mad, you are creating the picture and thus the vibration of being mad. You must create the opposite of what you don't want.

Step 2: Raise your vibration level

Your job in stage two is to create a vibrational match for that which you say you want to have. How would you be feeling if you already had those things--the perfect job, the perfect relationship, the mount of money that you want to have?

Your job is to identify what makes you feel good and do more of it, then learn not to tolerate your negative feelings.

Affirmations are an important component in raising your vibrational level to what it is you want. Remember, the law of attraction does not respond to the words you use or the thoughts you think. It simply responds to how you feel about what you say and how you feel about what you think.

For information on how to create even more effective affirmations, review pages 75-80 in The Success Principles, where you'll find my "Nine Guidelines for Creating Effective Visualizations."

Step 3. Release it and allow it.

In this third step you simply release your affirmation, your vibration, and your feelings to the universe to take care of your "request" or "order" as I call it. But you have to abstain from any doubts. If you doubt you can have it in any way, then you are not allowing it. You are pushing it away and you end up with contradictory messages to the universe

It is only when the contradictory thoughts, talk, and images are removed that your desired results will manifest. The faster you remove your resistance, the faster your dreams can be realized.
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  09:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone gets better...

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:22:54
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  10:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy the conditioned bad posture causing pain thing -- because of my experience. Just like I don't buy the poor wrist angle causing pain thing for RSI. I got told, when I had pain, to sit and type properly; I had lessons like Feldenkrais and AT to teach me how to actually do it. I was still in pain. Now, I sit and type how I want. I have no pain. I don't have good posture. I rest my wrists on the keyboard. It doesn't matter.

Our muscles will function best if we have good posture and setup (hence my full belief that all these modalities can increase our capacities) but they won't necessarily cause pain just because we don't. I haven't heard most people who say they've recovered from TMS claim that now they sit straighter or anything else that would suggest that they needed to banish "SMA".

To really know the answer, of course, there'd have to be a huge study of people's movement patterns, emotional patterns, and pain patterns, over time so as to observe progression and recovery (if any). Even then I'm not sure we would know the answer; the process is physically invisible in all cases, so it would be hard to get definite answers. I'm just skeptical about any new mysterious thing that's supposedly physically wrong with people, since so many of the things that are supposedly wrong with people aren't -- RSI, back pain, neuromas, CFS...to me, SMA seems like just another one in this list.

On the other hand, like I said, if a method works, it works, and good for it.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  12:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone gets better....

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:23:49
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  13:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil - glad it worked for you, but after reading the web site info, this system appears to be very contradictory to Sanro. I don't see how one system can complement the other. Your system is based on the structural/physical and Sarno is based on the psychological. I fear that most folks with TMS pain who tried this approach would be sidetracked from their Sarno program and the result would be increased pain due to the focus on the physical. Does this system come with any empirical evidence regarding successful outcomes (not just anecdotal evidence)?
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  14:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This talk of the tower of pisa, etc., is a totally bogus response to my points. This is not about architecture and weight-lifting. It's about the flexibility of the human body to cope with modern daily activities. More extreme activity is definitively an exception to this (that's why it's so hard for runners to determine if they're really injured or just having a TMS flareup). There are right and wrong ways to do many sport or other heavy activities. I can't weight-lift, or even pick up a largeish cast-iron saucepan, but I can type for many hours. I once read that heavy computer users should think of themselves as "computer athletes". But I don't and I don't get pain. It's not an extreme activity. Nor is sitting down.

Further, no one holds him/herself perfectly still except under duress (and it's known to cause pain and stiffness regardless of how "comfortable" the position). So the example isn't good. We have a natural instinct to move and stretch after we've been still too long. People move. They sit funny, they walk funny...their muscles cope.

I'm not engaged in this discussion to "win". I'm interested in discussing issues relevant to TMS and the human body. Let's keep on that topic, or else just drop it. Our opinions are clear; if we've both presented all our reasoning and evidence, it's time to move on. Otherwise, I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences and your reasoning.

--

Edited by - armchairlinguist on 10/26/2006 14:09:18
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  14:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  18:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone gets better ....

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:25:07
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  00:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Does this system come with any empirical evidence regarding successful outcomes (not just anecdotal evidence)?" (quote from Fox)

The same question can of course be asked of the Sarno method.

My inclination is to keep an open mind about this Somatics theory. I have started to read the book and I am impressed. I'll have to see where I stand once I start doing the exercises on a regular basis.
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  05:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some people have purely TMS-type back pain, others have Somatics-type back pain, and a further group have a condition containing elements of both.

This third group may be open to healing from either or both treatments. They could be two sides of the same coin - TMS representing the emotional side and Hanna representing the physical/neurological side of what's happening in the sufferer. If there is any kind of feedback loop between the two, it's quite feasible that breaking the vicious circle with either of these tools will be enough to initiate healing.

Let us not forget that Sarno screens out some patients, and maybe the Hanna-type pain sufferers never get as far as to see him?

I'm having good success with Sarno's methods so far, but I'm interested in Hanna too, because my body shape exhibits many of the abnormalities he talks about. For my part, I'd say I'm primarily a Sarno patient, but have elements of Hanna-type problems too.

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  07:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:25:30
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  10:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't quite understand how you can say that the example of the "dumbbell head" is irrefutable. I refute it. I sit improperly and fail to have any pain. I'm not offended, just baffled at your equation of a literal dumbbell (which I couldn't possibly lift) with my head (which I lift every day).

I heard that postural explanation so many times from so many RSI books, so many therapists of various modalities. It's not a new argument to me. Nor is any other aspect of the "computers are bad for you" argument. The question no one has answered is that if computers are bad for you, why can *any* (that is, any meaning any at all, even one, not any in the sense of every) RSI sufferer recover completely using Sarno's methods? I don't think Hanna and Sarno can really coexist theoretically if Hanna buys these arguments. Sarno makes it quite clear he doesn't believe that computer work is so hard on us that it should cause pain. On the other hand, if Hanna thinks that computer work and bad posture are triggers that provide optimal circumstances for emotions and stress to build up into "SMA", then there's no disagreement and this whole discussion is kind of pointless because we're not arguing about anything.

As to your placebo point, I thought I made clear that I think that any NMRP method can be effective in dealing with conditioned pain, if approached with the right goal in mind. They're placebos only in an ultimate cause sense (and that's debatable -- as I noted, needs way more study than we have, and I don't think we really disagree on this except as a matter of current opinions we hold without strong evidence). You get real relief because you really change the neural patterns, unlike chiro etc. Whether you do it purely psychologically or physically doesn't matter. But if you do it physically you may need some maintenance (as is suggested by the online Somatics material), since the psychology isn't there to override a return to the old patterns. In that sense Somatics is totally compatible with Sarno -- if you find it a useful method to do the retraining. It's like biofeedback. If you can consciously kill the stress response when it's not needed, that's really helpful. But you have to do it consciously. On the other hand, with Sarno, once you've got it you've generally got it; blood flows normally most of the time again (or you unbend posture, or whatever). Some work well for some people, and others work well for others. Floorten said this really elegantly:

quote:
They could be two sides of the same coin - TMS representing the emotional side and Hanna representing the physical/neurological side of what's happening in the sufferer. If there is any kind of feedback loop between the two, it's quite feasible that breaking the vicious circle with either of these tools will be enough to initiate healing.

I guess the summary is that I think it sounds like a powerful tool but the theory still seems off to me since it appears to involve physical explanations that I am a living exception to.

--
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  11:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:26:15
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  13:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't weight-lift much, and I think my forearms are a bit weaker than average because I didn't use them much for a few years. Other than that, and normal situations where I can, say, bike 20 miles in a day but not 80 because I haven't trained, I'd say I can do just about anything. If I were bothered, I'd do something about it. :-) I actually feel great these days because if I do want to be able to do something, I just go about making it possible, with no worries about my general capacity.

--
Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  19:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACL,
maybe I'm wrong but it appears to me that you working way too hard to convince yourself that what has worked for you is lasting and true. While I understand that this is a Sarno forum (having seen the man myself in the distant past), it seems as though you're putting an extreme amount of effort into convincing Hillbilly that Somatics is not really "valid". It's interesting that you are utilizing Tarot in order to access information from your unconscious. My experience with Somatics is that it is yet another technique to access the unconscious. I'm happy for you that you have been successful in your recovery. I would think that your experience should be convincing in itself to this forum. I also see that Hillbilly has had wonderful success with Somatics following a long, but apparently unsuccessful attempt with Sarno. It's possible that Sarno's work, in part facilitated the later success of Somatics. It is also possible that your success with Sarno made it more possible for you to be receptive to Tarot. It doesn't really matter actually. Maybe you were into Tarot before Sarno. The important thing is, you are both better. In other words, you get to be right.

Hillbilly, I would be very interested in hearing from you on your progress six months to a year from now. As with anything else, the test of time is most significant in establishing validity in a technique. Please keep us posted!

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hillbilly,

I just got the Somatics book, and I find that in some of the photos of the exercises it is a little difficult to see just what the positions are. Have you seen any videos of the exercises that might be easier to follow? Thanks!
Corey
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  08:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to talk about exercises, please find another forum. This one is about TMS.

I wish Neil well, but this thread has run its course.

You may believe that Hanna is complementary, and not contradictory to TMS, but then you would be wrong. Any belief such as "our muscles are constantly doing things they weren't designed to do" is fundamentally opposite of what Sarno is saying. Any program that involves physical exercise for the intent of relieving pain is fundamentally incompatible with treating TMS.

Our bodies are miraculous, strong, adaptive machines. The human body has survived millions of years of evolution for this very reason. Are we to believe that this same body is incapable of sitting at a computer?

By all means, feel free to try whatever physically-based theory or technique you like. Just don't fool yourself that it can coexist with TMS theory.
Go to Top of Page

Hillbilly

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  12:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Hillbilly on 04/19/2007 13:27:16
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  18:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you want to talk about exercises, please find another forum. This one is about TMS.

But I thought this was a very interesting discussion about TMS. Please don't squash it, Dave! If you made the forum too restrictive it would be a very boring place.

I can't see any connection between Somatics and repressed emotions, which is what causes TMS.

I agree with ACL and Dave that sitting at a computer shouldn't cause pain. I used to believe that it should. It seemed logical that bad posture and using the body in a way it's not designed to be used could cause pain.

But I once saw a program about women who deform their bodies so that they can have an hourglass figure. They wear corsets and lace in their waists. One of them said she couldn't eat large meals because of her organs being deformed - she could only eat small meals and had to eat more frequently. I was horrified and thought these women must be storing up some horrible health problems for themselves later in life with their bodies and organs being deformed. But, apparently, scientists said that there were no known bad health effects from doing this.

I was stunned. The conclusion I drew was that the human body has a miraculous ability to adapt.

So we can slump in front of our computers as much as we want. We'll end up with rounded shoulders and hunch backs, but it shouldn't cause pain.

The comparison between holding a dumbbell at the wrong angle and slumping in front of a computer isn't a fair comparison. I slump I front of a computer every day, so my muscles are trained to do it. Sitting with correct posture and at the right height, angle, etc. didn't help my RSI. If I held a dumbbell at an awkward angle every day, my muscles would soon strengthen and I would be able to do it without pain. Again, I might end up a funny shape, but I don't think I would get pain.

I'm not saying TMS is the answer to everything, or that Somatics is rubbish - obviously it isn't, because you've got better from it. I like what Floorten said:
quote:
Maybe some people have purely TMS-type back pain, others have Somatics-type back pain, and a further group have a condition containing elements of both.
This third group may be open to healing from either or both treatments. They could be two sides of the same coin - TMS representing the emotional side and Hanna representing the physical/neurological side of what's happening in the sufferer. If there is any kind of feedback loop between the two, it's quite feasible that breaking the vicious circle with either of these tools will be enough to initiate healing.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  01:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have gathered of Somatics, I don't see it as competition with TMS. I think those who simplify it by seeing it as basically a set of exercises to relieve pain are missing a larger point. I don't have any pain. I'm interested in what it can do for my stiffness, my posture that has become each year more rigid, my gait which has become more constrained. Hanna points out that the old age stoop, the dowager's hump--the classic signs of an old person may be artificially imposed by psychological processes (or previous injuries) rather than the years. Viewed in this way, I don't see any conflict with TMS. I see them as concerned with different aspects of mind-body disorders. I think that anyone who attempts to give an opinion of Somatics without having at least read the book can be ignored.

PS--I wrote Sarno to ask if he was familiar with Somatics, and if so, what was his opinion of it. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000