TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tendonitis/RSI in both hands/wrists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  09:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IcyScythe
I'm kinda worried again that I'm not going to recover.

Yeah, there's your TMS. I used to have those same thoughts when I needed to get better fast for the new job. I orderer Dr. Schechter's tapes, and there's a part in there where he says something like.

"Just need to remind yourself that the pain is Not anything destructive or damaging going on, but rather a benign condition initiated by the brain resulting from emotional issues."

That's it. Just keep repeating that to yourself. I'd even do it in front of a mirror so you would get through to your subconscious.

Regards,

Beth

Edited by - h2oskier25 on 09/19/2006 09:19:45
Go to Top of Page

IcyScythe

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for the advice... you have no idea (or maybe you do ;)) how encouraging it is to hear from people who've succeeded.

What's the cheapest place I can get the tapes/cds? (I already just ordered like 4 more books on tms to read in addition to the mindbody prescription)
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  15:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rachel's website has some stories that are free, if you haven't listened to them:

http://podolsky.everybody.org/rsi/audio/

I don't know about the other stuff.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

IcyScythe

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  17:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried listening to those, but I could only understand the intro, outro and first speaker because of the quality.

Thanks though.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purely looking at the stats on this thread, (the number of reads and replies), the numbers seem to prove Dr. Sarno's assertion that TMS epedemic symptoms are a matter of what is in vogue at the moment.

Many people keyboard today in offices, at cashier stations, at home, me right now. We need a symptom to hang our TMS hat on and RSI seems a logical unconscious choice--a form of group psychosis. I remember at the tennis club a while back, the attractive and athletic wife of the tennis pro got plantar fascitis and so did many of the other club ladies--co-incidence or TMS?

I see all these people with wrist and hand support bandages. They tend to reinforce the RSI dx, a group identity, commonality, support for the dx--sort of like getting tatoos and finding new friends to show and tell.

In our culture it is OK to use injuries or superficial topics as conversation starters--but not what you discussed with your shrink today. Isn't a shrink's waiting room one of the most awkward of places to be sitting? If not, why are they so careful to schedule people, so they don't run into each other, and have a backdoor to leave so ignominiously. If there are others waiting, no acknowledgement or eye-contact; just hideing behind Vanity Fair's and New Yorker's .

Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  10:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tt, good observation that the board itself is a great proving ground for Sarno's theories! I agree that RSI is epidemic because it's in vogue, just like ulcers once were. Here in Silicon Valley, who doesn't have RSI?

I sometimes worry that by moderating a group on RSI on LiveJournal (which I started before I heard of TMS), I'm encouraging people to think it's real and to be reinforced in their beliefs about it. Everyone currently in the community knows that I recovered using the Sarno method and no longer believe in RSI (well, they do if they read my long entry that says that), but I think for most of them it probably went right over their head with a "But that's not my problem" thought. I've been considering transferring the moderation to someone else, but then there might not be any voices of reason for those few who might be able to benefit.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

IcyScythe

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  12:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not just bombard them with TMS info (if you got better... that's pretty good proof!), in a nice way of course?

In other news I sprained my wrist (I guess that's what it is) today in rugby but that'll surely go away in a few days and it'll be back to just battling the TMS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000