TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Pain comes and goes...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kimakim

17 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  15:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I strongly believe I have TMS, and then I have doubts I have TMS (which I know is common). Why? Because my sciatica pain only occurs when I’m in very specific positions..standing, walking, arching my back. I can stop it by sitting, bending over or crouching down. That’s how I walk now…walk then stop and bend or crouch and carry on. If I arch my back at work it will start right up, I can stop it by shifting position and it fades back down. The fact that this is happening keeps me from completely believing it’s TMS. It just seems weird to me that I can physically make it come and go based on how I'm holding myself. So I go back and forth betweeen completely jumping on the bandwagon and thinking there's something wrong (and I realize that the UC mind is very, very tricky).

I’ve seen a TMS doc (Dr. Hoffman) and he asked me if I wanted an x-ray or MRI. I said no because if there was an abnormality I was afraid my mind would fixate on that. He didn’t suggest that I have either. He basically told me that to get well I need to embrace the TMS diagnosis. This was three weeks ago. I’ve been doing the TMS stuff since May, have read all the Sarno books, watched the videos and am doing Dr. Schecter’s workbook and listening to his audio CDs, both of which I find to be very good. I guess I’m just looking for some support and to find out if anyone has or had a pain pattern like this. It’s just the strangest thing…when I sit I feel completely fine, when I stand, walk or arch…whammo!

I also recognize that I have many if not all of the personality traits of a TMSer and I believe I've had many other manifestations of TMS starting with asthma, allergies in childhood and culminating now with sciatica. Looking back over my life, I can honestly say that there was always something wrong (or the threat of something) wrong with me and I've had a lifetime of being very focused on my body or health.

Any support/input is highly appreciated.

Kim

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  17:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like a clear example of "conditioning". You'll already know about this if you've read lots on TMS but you might need to refresh yourself on just how strong conditioning can be. Do searches on this forum for it, read Fred Amir's TMS book http://www.tmshelp.com/books.htm and also see:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=388

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  17:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kimakim

I strongly believe I have TMS, and then I have doubts I have TMS (which I know is common). Why? Because my sciatica pain only occurs when I’m in very specific positions..standing, walking, arching my back. I can stop it by sitting, bending over or crouching down.

Re-read the book.

If anything the above description makes it more likely to be TMS.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  17:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave as usual has said it best and most succintly, but I wanted to add a perspective: many people with TMS that manifests as RSI only have pain when sitting at the computer, often only when sitting in certain ways, or using certain keyboards or mice, or only when the keyboard or mouse is at a certain height. I could make my pain come and go (or come faster or slower) by switching from a tented keyboard to a flat one, or raising a keyboard too high, or holding my hands differently.

That didn't in any way mean that it wasn't TMS. As Tunza and Dave said, it just means I was conditioned to have pain come on it certain positions and not others. As are you.

I found Fred Amir's book really helpful in overcoming conditioning.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  00:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim,

I'd bet on TMS for this reason: You say when you SIT it doesn't bother you. But real sciatica WOULD bother you when sitting because you are sitting on the sciatic nerve which runs from the butt down the back of the leg.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  06:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conditioning. I had the same trouble with severe sciatica when in certain positions - for 20 years - and my MRI's showed 2 ruptured discs from the very beginning. I really began to doubt the legitimacy of the pain when I realized that sometimes the pain came on a few seconds BEFORE I assumed the position (or performed the dreaded activity) and that I could get twinges of the pain by just visualizing assuming the position or performing the activity. Also, more and more benign positions/activities were being added to my mental "avoid" list each year until it had reached the heights of absurdity and I could hardly do anything. Now, with serious implementation of Sarno's ideas over the last year or so, I'm 85% better, any pain can be conquered within a relatively short time, and the fear (one of the worst parts of TMS) is gone. Try your best not to avoid activities or positions that seem to elicit pain or to make physical movements that seem to relieve pain. Read and re-read, listen and re-listen to Sarno on the topic of conditioning.
Go to Top of Page

Kimakim

17 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  07:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armchairlinguist

Dave as usual has said it best and most succintly, but I wanted to add a perspective: many people with TMS that manifests as RSI only have pain when sitting at the computer,

Thank you, thank you Armchairlinguist...this is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. I wanted definite confirmation of this in and out sort of pain. And, I am re-reading Sarno, as well as Dr. Brady's new book, which is very good and I have Fred's book and will pick that up again as well in between journaling and listening to Dr. Schecter and trying not do it all obsessively!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Kimakim

17 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  07:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fox

Conditioning. I had the same trouble with severe sciatica when in certain positions - for 20 years - and my MRI's showed 2 ruptured discs from the very beginning. Read and re-read, listen and re-listen to Sarno on the topic of conditioning.

Fox,

I can see that I've started to adapt the same way..sit at the counter to chop veggies, lean instead of stand up straight. Stop and bend while walking the dogs (Dr. Hoffman actually said that's okay...do what I have to do and I figure at least I'm out walking). And, I was croching, now only stopping briefly to bend. And, I can see how this is a slippery slope. My main goal is to get over the fear that this isn't TMS and really pound into my UC mind that this is nothing to fear and it is TMS. Thanks for all the feedback.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard to break the conditioning. You will continue to be inclined to alter your physical activities in such a way that it does not cause pain. Just try to become aware when you are doing it. And if you do feel a twinge of pain, just laugh at it, because you know it is benign.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000