TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Article on Pain Relief
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bonnie

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  11:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an article in Slate.com today called "The Medical Tourist Goes Home, Pain Relief at Last Courtesy of JFK.
It's about shoulder pain/back pain and it was interesting. I wonder if someone should tell her about Sarno when this doesn't work for her anymore.
Bonnie

bigbadpete

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  07:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the therapy described in the article is quite effective when it is appropriate. If your pain is caused by a trigger point, I feel that you should treat the trigger point. However, if there aren't any trigger points causing the problem, then trigger point therapy is a complete waste of time.

I've had pain caused by trigger points, and pain caused by TMS, and both went away when I applied the appropriate therapy for the problem.
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  07:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But can't TMS affect trigger points?

ss
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  08:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicken and egg...
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  09:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if trigger pts and TMS are interconnected/interrelated, wouldn't treating trigger pts (i.e. treating the physical) be ineffective, or only marginally or temporarily effective (placebo)?

When my neck TMS was at its worst (and before Sarno), I got the Trigger Pt Therapy Workbook and every tool imaginable to "work" the trigger points. I was diligent for weeks, but the trigger pts (huge, hard, painful "knots" with radiating referred pain) would not release--not even a little. Now, as the TMS in my neck is improving, they seem to be loosening by themselves. I still try to massage them from time to time, but it doesn't seem to do much.

BBP: was your pain caused by trigger points completely unrelated to TMS?

ss
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  13:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I believe that trigger points and TMS are definately interrelated for many. Working on trigger points for me has given better relief than any pain killer, but unfortunately the relief was temporary - ie it didn't solve anything over the long haul. Just increased blood flow in the affected areas for awhile.

It's quite possible to have trigger points but not TMS, and vice versa. But if one has trigger points that are helped by trigger point therapy I believe it still could be TMS related for some (just my opinion).

There was a thread last month in which trigger points were discussed and several folks shared their experiences (along with debate and warnings about using physical treatments), if anyone is interested:

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2340
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  18:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like all other symptomatic treatment of TMS, the pain should just move somewhere else if treated by trigger point therapy...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000