TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Need a confidence boost
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Beans Allen, Glad to know you are a believer as well! Yes that scripture is sooooo true as well! And how you described the pain cycle couldn't be more accurate..That is EXACTLY how it happens...I will be re reading that part to help myself CATCH this when it happens again...I should say IF it happens again! That was funny, btw, when you said a load of fertilizer...love it! I might have to steal that one...:)
I am a work out nut too and in the same age group with you and Wolf...I usually work out 5 days a week and I LOVE IT! It keeps me SANE! I miss it terribly as I have only been able to do low body a couple of times in the past 2 months since this acute neck TMS attack...I plan on trying to do low body again this weekend..I need to wait to get a ride to the gym cuz i still can't turn my neck to drive that far...I miss the high from working out, it's the greatest feeling..I still have my biceps going on but i am so afraid if i don't start upper body soon, they are going to get very weak and lose their tone...That would be disastrous...So for now I am using my 40 minutes morning walk to get me prepared and healed enough to get my butt back to the gym...my favorite place next to church here in Vegas...
God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allen_Non,

Thanks for the explanation of the kettleball. First time I've heard of them. I'll try them if I come across them in a gym someday. Effective strentgth is good.
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  06:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TT,
I would be suprised if you came across one in a gym, at least in the near term. While KB's are catching on, they are scary looking, especially when someone is swinging one. Back when I went to a chiro, I took a 35 lb KB into his office to show him what exercises I was doing. When I started demonstrating the movements in his waiting room, the room cleared out like there was a "gas" leak!

One of the things I like the best about this type of workout, besides the true functional strength, is that you can get your cardio and strength training in the same workout. I've had better workouts (like ready to barf) in 25 minutes than I used to get in 90 minutes just doing weights. Combining heavy weights and ballistic movements is a killer workout.

To get a feel, take a dumbell and put maybe 20# on it to start. Hold the DB in one hand. Keeping your back straight (but not necessarily vertical), swing the DB rearward between your legs, then reverse the direction by explosively driving your hips forward (like you are doing a vertical jump or trying to throw the weight forward). The weight will surge forward and upward, probably between waist & chest high. The arms are NOT used to lift the weight, just to hold onto the weight like a cable. You'll have to keep your abs & glutes tight when the weight swings back between your legs to load your muscles like a spring for the next swing. Do 10-20 with one arm, then repeat with the other arm and you will be feeling it.

For another drill, lay face up on the floor with a DB (use a weight that you could press overhead). Press the weight straight up like a bench press. Keep the arm straight, locked, and pointed at the ceiling. Then try to stand up while keeping your arm that way. Once you're standing up, then try to get back down to the starting position. It makes you use a lot of stabilizing & postural muscles you might have forgotten you had.

There are many other drills that you have to use an actual kettlebell for. I don't want to bore you (or others here) with more information than you want. If you are interested, there are lots of articles on the dragondoor.com website, or you can email me directly. I've been doing this for a long time and would be happy to help.

BTW, if you watch the new "Rocky" movie promo, during the gym training sequence, Stallone is using a kettlebell (for only about a second. Sissy!).

Allen
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'd be surprised if I ever saw a kettlebell in today's gym, or should I say "health spa" You may even be hard pressed to find a squat rack in today's fitness centers. Everyone wants the convenience of machines. Although they have their place, you lose a lot of the benefits of good old fashioned iron.
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  08:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only real use I've ever seen for machines is in some cases for rehab, where stablity/ strength is lacking in certain structures. For example, a leg extension machine can build LIMITED strength around a joint until a patient is strong enough to do squats. Even then, there are ways to keep using light freeweights instead of the machine. I had a 95% torn superspinatus repaired surgically back in August of 2004. The doc had to cut it the rest of the way, clean up the ends, & stitch it back together. I did PT for 4 months & slowly re-introduced resistance thru thera-bands, light dumbells, & finally kettlebells. Now, I'm still less than 24 months post op, and I work out swinging 70 & 88# kettlebells single handed, pressing 70# for reps even on my repaired side, and doing one-arm snatches with the 70 & 88. My ortho hates that movement because it does put lots of stress on the SS tendon, but that gives an idea of how effective even a rehab program can be without ever touching a machine.

If a machine is the only thing available, one silver lining is that at least you can change the weights easily by moving a pin. Of course, that's silly too, like men who cruise a gym parking lot for 10 minutes to find the closest spot so they can go inside & jog for 30 minutes on a track.

The 2 main problems with machines is that 1- they restrict your natural joint motions to conform to the machine's geometry, and 2- they take over the job of stabilizing the load, which is what your stabilizing muscles need to be doing. Then you think you're strong because you can bench the whole stack, only to later really get hurt when you have to lift a bag of potting soil and have no real stabilization.

I'll get off my soap box now!
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a big fan of machines either. Always have been and always will be a free weight guy. I don't care for weight stack machines at all unless it's to do something like tricep pushdowns or similar. Which I don't even bother with when you can do much better exercises like dips or close grip press.

I will say I like a couple of machine based exercises like cable rows. I've really grown to like that exercise and the constant tension on the back muscles. Plus it's another good test for my TMS lower back to stabalize myself in the upright position.

I just love it when I hear people's hesitation to free weights because they don't want to get too big They use machines because they just want to tone

To each his own I guess. Whatever floats your boat

By the way, I just got my new Trap Bar last night and am going to deadlift with it tonight. I've tried one before and it's a great combination of a squat and deadlift without worrying about scraping your knees.

Love getting new toys

Edited by - wolf29 on 07/26/2006 09:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  10:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of weights..I miss working out so much..Cannot wait to get back to it..But I always used machines at the gym, especially for upper body...I seem to be able to lift more and it's easier on my neck if I use machines, especially for biceps...I don't know if it is conditioning or if there is some merit to what i noticed...
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen,
Have you ever heard of Qigong? It is a martial art form (no fighting) similar to the gentle motions of Tae Chi except it also has a lot of joint mobility built in. I think it could be good for you, since the movements are gentle enough that you would not have to fear an aggressive motion. Check out http://www.dragondoor.com/dv018.html and see what you think.

I've put a couple of people, who were afraid of certain movements, on some of the exercises and they had good outcomes. Plus, doing all the drills is a good overall gentle workout in itself which would involve your whole body. And it doesn't take all that long to do, so you could add it to your walking.

I know it's hard to do movements when you have learned to associate that motion with fear. I was like that back in November before I learned about Sarno. I was scared to do deadlifts or swings because of my back. Not just fear, but sharp, breath taking pain, and also fear of doing more damage. Sarno cured me of the fear of doing more damage, and I can deal with pain. Now I'm 10 times better than I was, not totally pain free, but even my wife (who lovingly listened but was still skeptical) has started commenting to friends of hers that I've found something that works.

Most recently, and the reason for this thread originally, was a pain in my elbow. Any Dr. would diagnose me with "golfer's elbow" based on the clinical signs. It was affecting my ability to hang onto a pullup bar or swing a kettlebell, which is very strenuous on the grip, and the tendons in the elbow. After some encouragement from this group, (thanks Wolf, my buddy!), I did my regular scheduled workout, which was particularly gruelling, and my elbow did just fine. It's still a tiny bit sore, so I probably do have some very minor irritation (even Sarno says everyone is entitled to a little bit of pain). But, my fear is gone, and I'm charging on.

My point is, (and please understand, I'm not criticizing, I know where you're coming from), once you know you're not going to damage yourself further, you have to "will power" the pain away. For example, I got a bunch of mosquito bites yesterday, and I HATE itching. I tried the mental trick I learned from Fred Amir's book, and said "I am not going to allow this itching". Less than 3 minutes later, itching was gone. Today, I don't even have the bumps from the bites. Use your subconscious as YOUR SERVANT, do not be ITS SERVANT. Make it give you the results YOU want.

Back to the Qigong- take a look at the link above. If it looks like something you think would work for you, and that you would do, let me know. I read the word "fear" in your posts alot, and you gotta break that pattern. Since Sarno and Amir, everytime single I've challenged my pain or fear, I've been pleasantly suprised (and I DO mean SUPRISED!).

Hope this helps....

Allen
Go to Top of Page

allen_non

55 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen,
also, I noticed this on the "other thread"

"Thanx FlybyNight for your comment...Glad you saw it...It is so important as many see this movie as possible...BTW, I saw some of your old posts about neck issues you had back in March..How are you doing? I am still coming out of an acute neck TMS attack..."

"still coming out of an acute neck TMS attack"

Instead of focusing on where you are coming from, or even the progress you have made, try focusing on how much closer to your goal you already are. Like, "my neck is 30% better than it was when I started applying the Sarno theories, and I've figured out that 'this or that' causes 'something or other'".

If I was running a marathon (which I would totally hate), and I had run 1 mile out of the 26, I'd be ready to quit because I'd have so little progress to show for my work and so much work ahead of me. If I had run 25 of the 26 miles, I'd still be ready to quit because I'd be thinking of all that running I've been doing and how much I hate running. BUT, if I had run 10, 15, 20, or 25 out of 26 miles, I'd be thinking about HOW CLOSE I AM TO MY GOAL, and getting closer with each step. Even a day with some increase in pain, or a new pain (like my elbow on Monday), is still progress, because you are learning more about your "enemy" and how to beat it. That's dwelling positively on the goal, and getting your mind off the problems.

It reminds me of the TMS parable thread about the 2 wolves. Feed the one you want to win. Starve the other one. Deny it any credit for fear or pain.

And again, I'm preaching to myself here as well.

Allen

Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx so much Allen,
Your reply was very helpful!! I actually used to take QiGong and Kung Fu years ago but I stopped...After I had 2 real injuries to my knee, which later turned into knee TMS, I couldn't do the bending involved...QiGong does not require anywhere near the knee bending that Tha Chi does, but it still does require some...I loved it! It helps on all levels...The only place I know of in this town that teaches it is quite far away from me...Once I can move my neck enough to drive myself there safely, I would like to get back into it...The knee is doing better these days, although the hamstrings and quads never came back like the other leg, not yet anyway...I think my knee would be okay starting Qigong again, in other words...Thanx for reminding me!

Yes Fear has been in alot of my posts, I realize that..The pain and tightness is scary but the neuro symptoms I had, (my head moving on it's own while laying in bed, twitching, burning, etc..) scared me way more then the pain...I was not convinced that i had something structural going on...I still have shades of doubt which I hate and fight every day! Good news is, the walking is helping me heal regardless of my mind set...It is slow, but I see progress...and it feels great to even be walking in the park for 40 minutes straight when just a month ago I was flat on my back in bed...

Those darn doctors really did a number on me, conditioning wise...So I have had to fight BIG TIME to get them and their diagnosis about my neck out of my head! I have several close friends that are chiros too, so that doesn't help! ONe is open to Sarno's way of thinking, thank God!

This may sound crazy but i think that the way I was feeling (trapped in Vegas, lonely and missing family/friends back East, money issues...etc..) literally lodged itself in my neck...All I did was pick up an ice pack off my knee 2 months ago when this acute attack began...Now I have got to work carefully to get range of motion back into my neck without force...When I try force it tightens more...But the walking is inadvertently helping...both mentally and physically by increasing blood flow, etc..SO I am hopeful...but still struggling...I saw first hand with the silly drama that happened on here yesterday how stress goes RIGHT to my neck...so i learned something valuable there...I did kind of know that already, however...

I wish I lived in a city where things like QIgong were more readily available..How I miss New Jersey! Anyway, thanx again for your great words of encouragement...Glad you are doing well!!!
Hugs and God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are soooo right Allen and I really need to hear this and take it in! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  13:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen,
I wrote back to your other reply in a post b4 the brief one saying i have to take this all in...Can you check it out please...Thanx! ~K
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  13:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allen_non
My point is, once you know you're not going to damage yourself further, you have to "will power" the pain away.

Well put in my opinion. I believe Sarno said something to the effect that fear of doing more physical damage to yourself was more detrimental than the repressed emotions themselves. That's what held me back in the past when I tried certain exercises but quit them because of the fear of hurting myself more.

Once you buy into the fact it's TMS and you're structually strong, then it becomes a challenge between you and the fear. The fear can replace the repressed emotions you may have. At that point it becomes a test of wills. Your conscious mind vs. your subconscious mind. If anyone can win a battle against yourself it's yourself

Nothing that hasn't been said before but you're letting TMS rob you of the things you enjoy Karen. That would surely piss me off to no end. It was robbing me of certain activities and I got mad at myself for it. You have to take back your life Karen. I know you know that but if you but into the TMS diagnosis you have to challenge yourself. I know Sarno recommends to do so when you feel ready, but don't let that be when you too old to enjoy the things you used to. That would be a shame and you would have no one else to blame but yourself.

Hugs

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  14:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx Jay! You are right...And the walking is my first attempt in doing that...Baby steps as they say in the wonderful and hilarious movie "What about Bob!"
Hugs back,
Karen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000