TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Advice from TT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Any advice on ignoring the depressive symptoms?

Seth

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  00:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Seth,

Apologies for not getting to you. Didn't forget; just TMS procrastinating. It's much less daunting to have a pissing match about gloabal warming with Karen. Come to think of it, if I lived in Las Vegas in the summer, I would be worried about GW to, but I live in Frisco where it's usually foggy. All our bad air goes over to Berkeley, staining the ivory tower.

OK, I'll stop ranting and start depressing. First off, the Good Doctor says depression is a TMS affective (emotional), equivalent.

I was going to say don't ignore it but if it's TMS like any other pain you should ignore it and realize that it is masking a problem behind it that you do not want to face head-on.

When I was in my "significant depressive state", I witnessed depression being a TMS equivalent but was not able to do anything about it. I was in a free fall caused by depression that I could not come out of without help from a psychiatrist. I did seek help and in about six months began coming out of it. Within a few weeks of resuming "normal" activity, exercising and becoming productive at
work again, I started to feel my "normal" self again.

The shrink put me on Lexapro that did not agree with me at all and resulted in a 3am ER visit when he tried jacking me up to 2 a day. I told him I did't want to take them anymore and he reluctanly said since he was originally trained in psychosomatic medicine, we could work the old fashioned way.

I think he miscalculated the med I needed. He thought I needed jacking up when I needed calming down. He was kind of a fatherly couch potato type and didn't understand the impact of an athlete stopping a 15 year training regimen overnight cold-turkey.

I had all this energy bottled up because I finally listend to my regular doctor and stopped playing tennis after years of his admonitions, to see if resting my hip would help. It didn't, it only made me "crazy". My theory was that the bottled up energy had to be released some way and for me that was anxiety, (and sex). I lost 34 pounds in about 6 weeks. The only thing I could eat was yougert mixed with trail-mix that my girlfriend force fed me.

Clinical depression is much more severe than the lingering depression that goes along with TMS pain or non-TMS disabilities. If you can't do what you want to do, you are going to feel depressed to some degree.

Edited by - tennis tom on 07/26/2006 00:37:47
Go to Top of Page

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the post. So clinical depression aside, how would you recommend one ignore the lingering depression?

Seth
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seth

Thanks for the post. So clinical depression aside, how would you recommend one ignore the lingering depression?

Seth

Treat it as another TMS symptom. Ignore it. Realize that it is masking underlying emotional issues that you are repressing. Deal with those emotional issues head-on. Resolve them functionaly or if that is not possible, accept them as they are. And realize their role in TMS. "Knowledge is the penicillin for TMS". Read everything that Sarno has to say about depression. Aren't you a patient of the Good Doctor? If you are, make an appointment to discuss your depression with him. He is the modern day equivalent of Sigmund Freud and will someday be recognized as his successor. The only reason I would ever want to live in NYC would be that I would qualify to be one of his patients. I would take advantage of that in a NYC minute and so should you. You don't need to have a physical symptom to see him. He especially understands the role that affective
(emotional) TMS symptoms play in TMS.

Seth, I believe you are seeing a therapist. What does he/she have to say about your "lingering depression".

I'm glad to try to help you, but I am just another TMS amateur, if the paid for experts aren't helping you than hold their feet to the fire until they do or seek out new TMS experts who can help you. It's your dime.

Good Luck,
tt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000