TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 5 days in - please a little help ;-)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, 5 days after my success story, my back is acting up a bit. I finally got out for a bike ride and it got tight and a little sore. Nothing too bad, but this is how it often started in the past. Not sure - since discovering TMS this is the first issue I've had and I don't know what to do to work at it... I want to cave and just rest, but the I think the monster is winning. It's easy to say on the one hand to punish the little child, but hard to do when your mind is fighting you trying to convince it's a physical injury...

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I took that Holmes-Rahe test. 240. They didn't have section on there called "your mother in law moved in with you for two months", but that was the final item in my string of items when the TMS started... Before that it was 1. Family moving out of state; 2. New, first baby, 3. Home remodel on tight deadline, 4. Job change. Subsequent to TMS I lost ability to exercise, which made things far worse. But now TMS is punishing me for exercising again. This is tougher than I had thought..
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi flyefisher,

It's quite common to have ups and downs with the pain and with the downs come the doubts. The mind takes a little while to recondition so it might take a bit longer before you're completely pain-free (but not too much longer, hopefully). Just keep reading the book and telling yourself the pain isn't structural. It's also worth reading through old posts on this forum because there are lots of useful tips on here.

quote:
I finally got out for a bike ride and it got tight and a little sore. Nothing too bad,

Well done for doing that bike ride!

quote:
but this is how it often started in the past.

Ah, yes, the doubt. I can definitely relate to that from my RSI (repetitive strain injury) days. The little bit of pain from doing too much typing… not too bad, but in the old days it would have been a warning of what was to come, and the fear would have made me stop typing.

Remind yourself of the success you’ve had so far. Tell yourself you’re not going to let the pain come back because you know what’s causing it and it’s NOT the bike ride.

I think Dr Sarno doesn’t recommend returning to full activity too soon because it takes a while for the mind to be reconditioned and setbacks can be discouraging.

You’ve made a great start by going on that bike ride. That little bit of pain is a great opportunity to challenge your mind and tell it you know what’s going on.

Different people have different approaches here: some like to take the activity full-on and just ignore the pain when it comes, others prefer to take it slowly and increase the activity gradually. The gradual approach has the advantage that it’s easier to challenge the pain if/when it comes, because it will be less than if one did the activity full-on. Too much pain can be difficult to challenge because it wears you down mentally.

Given that you’re still in the early days, I’d recommend the gradual approach – but it’s a personal choice. People have reported success with both approaches.

All the best with it – you’re doing really well.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Hilary has given you great advice here..The gradual approach is what is working for me as well..I am doing an early morning walk, increasing the time/speed daily..I have to talk to my brain alot during the walk and today was the best so far...I went the longest distance w/ the pain not too bad...I hit my hip into my rear view mirror saying by to my roomie and dogs in his truck and lo and behold the next clamped down on me...It may have moved when I hit my hip and my whole body moved but I did challenge it and tell it that it is ridiculous for it to react over something like this...I did do anything traumatic to my neck..It was an old pattern or my unconscious looking for an excuse...It loosened a bit but is still tighter then b4 the incident..I drank some magnesium powder tea to relax the muscles and I will continue to challenge it..I am still working on getting my range of motion back and have a ways to go..but as I said...for me...the gradual appoach is best..And the last time I went thru this neck TMS, walking helped tremendously..
Good luck,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for that good advice. I was a bit sore until this afternoon. I sat on my yoga mat and wrote out everything that has bothered me for the past year and then did some meditation. I got up and the pain was gone. Then instead of another bike ride today I went boogie boarding with some friends. I felt great the whole time. I feel pretty good afterwards but I'm working mentally on telling myself I did nothing wrong, what I did was healthy and fun.

My first relief had me a believer 100% and then when I had some doubt and the pain returned it was hard. This is a real mental game, and it's not easy. But I'll get there, just not overnight.

Again, thanks. Reinforcement seems crucial at this juncture.

I think the gradual approach is good. I need to be sure that I don't get too many days in a row with pain. The pain leads to depression and hopelessness with me. I could really get down in the dumps like never before... I must avoid that state of mind.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you...I react to the pain the same way...I am super active normally and soooo miss outdoor activities...BOOGIE BOARDING...WOWIE...lucky you! That is wonderful...I'm in the desert so even when i am up to it, would be tough..lol..I miss the ocean so much..Keep up the good work..You are inspiring me as well!
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  16:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have you been dealing with this TMS?

If you're in the desert, just be happy you don't have to deal with these long New England winters...

Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  20:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
flyefisher,
I sent you response to your email. Hope it helps. For many people with TMS, there is certain activities that cause pain because we believe it will. With my it's weight lifting which translates into lifting anything heavy... furniture, etc.

Make a note of what happened with you. You had a great time boogie boarding with no pain afterwards you said. Yet riding was painful. How does your body know which activity you did and which one is supposed to hurt? It doesn't. So it's your brain telling your body that this or that activity will hurt. For whatever reason is something you'll need to discover and work on.

In my opinion, if it was a physical problem you shouldn't have been able to boogie board and not feel any discomfort at all. Think about it

Jay
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  20:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I care about bike riding. I don't care about boogie boarding. The physical exertion wasn't much different. Plus all the doctors said biking is bad for the lower back and swimming is not. I know that's baloney.

It seems that caring makes me fear losing it, so the tension increases.
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  20:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus all the doctors said biking is bad for the lower back and swimming is not.

There in itself is a problem. I listened to my doctors also when they told me I herniated 2 discs in my lower back and that I should never do certain exercises and watch how I pick things up, how I bend, and so on and so on. I didn't know any better and after 3 years of babying my back, it got no better. Human body is amazing in its healing powers so I would think that 3 years would have been enough time for me to feel better.

Point being, you're right, the physical exertion is not much different. Actually, I think when you boogie board you're twisting your body more than you ever would riding a bike. So if anything, boogie boarding should have hurt more, but it didn't hurt at all. That has to tell you something I hope.

I wish I never listed to the doctors but if it wasn't for everything that transpired over the years, I probably wouldn't have found Sarno. All things happen for a reason. Including TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  21:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Flyefisher,
I know all about long winters...I am from New Jersey...Have lived there most of my life...The winters there are as bad as the summers here...I just saw a movie tonight that everyone needs to see...It's called "An Inconvenient Truth" It's about global warming, Al Gore's movie...So devastating but necessary to see...Wolf gave you some great advice too...Makes alot of sense..
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  21:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure what Al Gore is talking about. Out of the last three winters here we had two of the coldest on record since 1944.

I recommend the Star Wars series. The art of Jedi Mindtrick can probably be used on the TMS monster.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  21:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to see it,,,It is all scientifically researched..I couldn't possibly explain it here...The fact that some winters, certain places have been colder is of no consequence..He is speaking of something that is occuring worldwide, no question about it..And out of 900 plus studies...there is not one scientist that disagrees with the fact that global warming is occuring..Ice bergs are melting, temperatures are on the rise overall...Yes, escapism movies are great too...but this is so important that for me, it took my mind off my little TMS problems for awhile...
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  00:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"there is not one scientist that disagrees with the fact that global warming is occuring.."

Probably the same scientists who reccommend surgery for back pain.

THE SKY IS FALLING...THE SKY IS FALLING...
Go to Top of Page

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  06:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyefisher

Well, 5 days after my success story, my back is acting up a bit. I finally got out for a bike ride and it got tight and a little sore. Nothing too bad, but this is how it often started in the past. Not sure - since discovering TMS this is the first issue I've had and I don't know what to do to work at it... I want to cave and just rest, but the I think the monster is winning. It's easy to say on the one hand to punish the little child, but hard to do when your mind is fighting you trying to convince it's a physical injury...

Hi flyefisher,
I responded to the email you sent. Hopefully it will help. Just want to say that relapses are quite common. It's the TMS "fighting back". Expect it and for the pain to move too (another common tactic). Don't let it cause doubt. You're just getting to know your enemy. Once you learn all its "moves" they won't work anymore.
Keep your chin up!
Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  09:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect Tom, because I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CONFRONTATION ON HERE...ESPECIALLY with someone who has sincerely tried to help me w/ my TMS...I am grateful to you very much...BUT...I cannot keep quite about your sarcastic comment which MUST be directed at me on some level since I AM THE ONE WHO WROTE THE ORIGINAL POST ON THIS SUBJECT...In short...I still find you very wise and intelligent...BUT...THIS WAS THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD YOU SAY... sad that you feel that way..Because that means that many other people are surely equally misinformed..
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  09:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing Tom and the other doubters about global warming...There is an old saying, it goes like this...
"Denial is not only a River In Egypt!"
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  09:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"THIS WAS THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD YOU SAY..."

SA, You are absolutely RIGHT !
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  10:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you agree Tom...
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  17:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in a bit of pain today - so I said screw it. I went for a nice 1 hour ride, returned to do some work in a hurry. After that I realized I had no pain. The distraction of my computer job and bike ride actually made the pain go away!!! It is psychological! I feel fine after exercise. Now I just have to keep on this slowly but surely.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  18:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great Flyfisher and inspiring too! Keep up the good work! I am pushing myself to exercise as well...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000