TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 5 days in - please a little help ;-)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
flyefisher Posted - 07/22/2006 : 18:32:02
Well, 5 days after my success story, my back is acting up a bit. I finally got out for a bike ride and it got tight and a little sore. Nothing too bad, but this is how it often started in the past. Not sure - since discovering TMS this is the first issue I've had and I don't know what to do to work at it... I want to cave and just rest, but the I think the monster is winning. It's easy to say on the one hand to punish the little child, but hard to do when your mind is fighting you trying to convince it's a physical injury...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fox Posted - 08/21/2006 : 09:12:30
As you said, it's got to be TMS because the mini-tramp would have to be harder on your spine/leg than walking. Must be conditioning.
Kimakim Posted - 08/21/2006 : 08:46:11
I loved reading this thread. Been battling sciatica pain for 2 years..hopped on the TMS bandwagon in May and haven't been real consistent. Now, I'm convinced it's TMS and suprise, it's hurting worse than ever. I'm going to take that as good sign...like I've got it on the run! But it can get discouraging. If I stop thinking TMS, I get huge doubts and start ticking off all the reasons this must be structural (only hurts when I stand or walk...if I sit or bend, the pain stops immediately). I can see the brain is a tricky beast! Also, I can't walk for more than 5 minutes w/o extreme pain but I can rebond on a mini-tramp for 15-20 minutes. You think that would aggrevate a structural problem! (Although, I've noticed that's starting to hurt a bit now, too...sheesh!)

Anyway, thank you all for support you give here. It's helpful and encouraging.

Kim
HilaryN Posted - 07/26/2006 : 12:57:47
Great!

Hilary N
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/25/2006 : 18:11:42
That is great Flyfisher and inspiring too! Keep up the good work! I am pushing myself to exercise as well...
flyefisher Posted - 07/25/2006 : 17:32:48
I was in a bit of pain today - so I said screw it. I went for a nice 1 hour ride, returned to do some work in a hurry. After that I realized I had no pain. The distraction of my computer job and bike ride actually made the pain go away!!! It is psychological! I feel fine after exercise. Now I just have to keep on this slowly but surely.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/24/2006 : 10:59:57
Glad you agree Tom...
tennis tom Posted - 07/24/2006 : 09:55:12
"THIS WAS THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD YOU SAY..."

SA, You are absolutely RIGHT !
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/24/2006 : 09:45:44
One more thing Tom and the other doubters about global warming...There is an old saying, it goes like this...
"Denial is not only a River In Egypt!"
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/24/2006 : 09:44:12
With all due respect Tom, because I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CONFRONTATION ON HERE...ESPECIALLY with someone who has sincerely tried to help me w/ my TMS...I am grateful to you very much...BUT...I cannot keep quite about your sarcastic comment which MUST be directed at me on some level since I AM THE ONE WHO WROTE THE ORIGINAL POST ON THIS SUBJECT...In short...I still find you very wise and intelligent...BUT...THIS WAS THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD YOU SAY... sad that you feel that way..Because that means that many other people are surely equally misinformed..
Mary Ann Posted - 07/24/2006 : 06:32:19
quote:
Originally posted by flyefisher

Well, 5 days after my success story, my back is acting up a bit. I finally got out for a bike ride and it got tight and a little sore. Nothing too bad, but this is how it often started in the past. Not sure - since discovering TMS this is the first issue I've had and I don't know what to do to work at it... I want to cave and just rest, but the I think the monster is winning. It's easy to say on the one hand to punish the little child, but hard to do when your mind is fighting you trying to convince it's a physical injury...

Hi flyefisher,
I responded to the email you sent. Hopefully it will help. Just want to say that relapses are quite common. It's the TMS "fighting back". Expect it and for the pain to move too (another common tactic). Don't let it cause doubt. You're just getting to know your enemy. Once you learn all its "moves" they won't work anymore.
Keep your chin up!
Mary Ann
tennis tom Posted - 07/24/2006 : 00:57:41
"there is not one scientist that disagrees with the fact that global warming is occuring.."

Probably the same scientists who reccommend surgery for back pain.

THE SKY IS FALLING...THE SKY IS FALLING...
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/23/2006 : 21:50:28
You'll have to see it,,,It is all scientifically researched..I couldn't possibly explain it here...The fact that some winters, certain places have been colder is of no consequence..He is speaking of something that is occuring worldwide, no question about it..And out of 900 plus studies...there is not one scientist that disagrees with the fact that global warming is occuring..Ice bergs are melting, temperatures are on the rise overall...Yes, escapism movies are great too...but this is so important that for me, it took my mind off my little TMS problems for awhile...
flyefisher Posted - 07/23/2006 : 21:42:37
I'm not really sure what Al Gore is talking about. Out of the last three winters here we had two of the coldest on record since 1944.

I recommend the Star Wars series. The art of Jedi Mindtrick can probably be used on the TMS monster.
Singer_Artist Posted - 07/23/2006 : 21:06:53
Hiya Flyefisher,
I know all about long winters...I am from New Jersey...Have lived there most of my life...The winters there are as bad as the summers here...I just saw a movie tonight that everyone needs to see...It's called "An Inconvenient Truth" It's about global warming, Al Gore's movie...So devastating but necessary to see...Wolf gave you some great advice too...Makes alot of sense..
wolf29 Posted - 07/23/2006 : 20:35:59
quote:
Plus all the doctors said biking is bad for the lower back and swimming is not.

There in itself is a problem. I listened to my doctors also when they told me I herniated 2 discs in my lower back and that I should never do certain exercises and watch how I pick things up, how I bend, and so on and so on. I didn't know any better and after 3 years of babying my back, it got no better. Human body is amazing in its healing powers so I would think that 3 years would have been enough time for me to feel better.

Point being, you're right, the physical exertion is not much different. Actually, I think when you boogie board you're twisting your body more than you ever would riding a bike. So if anything, boogie boarding should have hurt more, but it didn't hurt at all. That has to tell you something I hope.

I wish I never listed to the doctors but if it wasn't for everything that transpired over the years, I probably wouldn't have found Sarno. All things happen for a reason. Including TMS.
flyefisher Posted - 07/23/2006 : 20:26:10
I care about bike riding. I don't care about boogie boarding. The physical exertion wasn't much different. Plus all the doctors said biking is bad for the lower back and swimming is not. I know that's baloney.

It seems that caring makes me fear losing it, so the tension increases.
wolf29 Posted - 07/23/2006 : 20:04:58
flyefisher,
I sent you response to your email. Hope it helps. For many people with TMS, there is certain activities that cause pain because we believe it will. With my it's weight lifting which translates into lifting anything heavy... furniture, etc.

Make a note of what happened with you. You had a great time boogie boarding with no pain afterwards you said. Yet riding was painful. How does your body know which activity you did and which one is supposed to hurt? It doesn't. So it's your brain telling your body that this or that activity will hurt. For whatever reason is something you'll need to discover and work on.

In my opinion, if it was a physical problem you shouldn't have been able to boogie board and not feel any discomfort at all. Think about it

Jay
flyefisher Posted - 07/23/2006 : 16:03:13
How long have you been dealing with this TMS?

If you're in the desert, just be happy you don't have to deal with these long New England winters...

Singer_Artist Posted - 07/23/2006 : 15:35:37
I hear you...I react to the pain the same way...I am super active normally and soooo miss outdoor activities...BOOGIE BOARDING...WOWIE...lucky you! That is wonderful...I'm in the desert so even when i am up to it, would be tough..lol..I miss the ocean so much..Keep up the good work..You are inspiring me as well!
flyefisher Posted - 07/23/2006 : 15:25:18
Thanks a lot for that good advice. I was a bit sore until this afternoon. I sat on my yoga mat and wrote out everything that has bothered me for the past year and then did some meditation. I got up and the pain was gone. Then instead of another bike ride today I went boogie boarding with some friends. I felt great the whole time. I feel pretty good afterwards but I'm working mentally on telling myself I did nothing wrong, what I did was healthy and fun.

My first relief had me a believer 100% and then when I had some doubt and the pain returned it was hard. This is a real mental game, and it's not easy. But I'll get there, just not overnight.

Again, thanks. Reinforcement seems crucial at this juncture.

I think the gradual approach is good. I need to be sure that I don't get too many days in a row with pain. The pain leads to depression and hopelessness with me. I could really get down in the dumps like never before... I must avoid that state of mind.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000