TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dizziness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ginag

51 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  11:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All - I guess it means "good news" if we've all been kind of quiet. At least I hope so... It seems I caught Laura's cold. Sympathy and true bonding, you know. But we can't allow our Dizziness thread to wind down. Afterall, it seems ours is the "hottest" thread of all. So, come on, girls - visit or call those parents. Work up a little sweat and anger. Then practice different methods of dealing with it to find out what works to eliminate the suffering we have. No pain, no gain.
Gina
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  17:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gina,

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. I felt horrible for about five days but now it seems to be clearing up. Glad to hear you're on the mend too.

Hey, I was just reading a post by Holly and something struck me. She was talking about the fact that sometimes just by reading about the TMS equivalents of everyone else, our brains seem to take on those symptoms. I never really gave it much thought, but almost three years ago when I was going on the trip to Cancun, we went to visit my in-laws out in Palm Desert. My mother-in-law was asking me about the time I got dizzy and wondering how long it lasted. She had been feeling dizzy for weeks and was concerned. I told her about my experience and didn't think much about it. A few days later, we left for Cancun and the vertigo started all over again. I don't know why I've never put two and two together until now, but it seems to me that my wonderful brain must have said "Ah, hah! This is something we must use again to distract Laura. Let's make her dizzy!" Well, it worked!!!!! I can't believe I didn't think about that before. I guess I've been too busy trying make it go away. Sometimes something so obvious is easily overlooked.

I had an interesting session with Dr. Dubin (the TMS psychologist) today. He told me that the reason the dizziness happens to me is because it's just a little reminder to myself that I'll never be good enough. It grabs my attention to shake me and say "Laura, you'll never be a good enough wife, mother, daughter, friend, photographer....." It makes sense to me. I shared with Dr. Dubin some of the posts from this forum and he's going to pass them onto some other patients. He keeps in contact with Dr. Sarno and is hoping to see him this Spring. Maybe he'll take them with him and show him to Dr. Sarno. He had other things to say too that I found helpful. All in all it was a very productive visit.

Take care everyone!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Ginag

51 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  10:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura, Quite happy that we are both "feeling back to normal." It was just a little sidetrip away from "the dizzies." I was really stimulated by your last posting. With your reference to the influence of other peoples' TMS, I don't think I identify with that at all. My firm belief is that I ALWAYS had a problem with some form of imbalance and as Dr. S. says, TMS likes to focus on a physically weak spot to set up house. As a child, I had a hard time learning to ride my two wheel bike, I fell at 8th grade gradulation, I never felt comfortable standing on a chair to reach for something, in high school I always needed to hold on to a friend to get off the bleachers, motion sickness, etc. So it's pretty obvious I was not a candidate to ice skate either, although I loved to roller skate and was good at it. I thought I was a normal child and never considered myself handicapped in any way. But in retrospect, I believe my history shows someone who had a disposition to imbalance and dizziness.
Does anyone else in our group have a similar history of these problems? I think your answers could have a good deal of relevance. As for the idea that we suffer with dizziness because we don't feel we will ever be good enough - I can't say that that concept describes me at all. I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty darn good at many things I tackle. I've also been pretty proud of my accomplishments during my life. And, yes, I agree that while there is always room for improvement, I don't feel I let myself down in life.
I guess we really need to hear from the others in our group with regard to these two issues. This interaction among us is so invaluable for our search for information. Laura, your input with regard to your sessions is the exact catalyst we need. It provides us with topics we can discuss and compare with our dizzy group. Thanx so much for sharing with us!!!
Gina
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  18:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caroline,

I hope you find this and read it. After I posted on the other thread I pulled this up to make it easier for you to find. Good luck!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

elise8

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  14:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I can't help but thinking that when my dizziness started it was an acutal REAL pysiologic problem triggered my hormonal changes of menopause as this is when my first dizziness started. Because it was such a frightening experience (the first vertigo attack), the brain then latched on to it and the whole thing escalated from there. It worked so well at instilling fear in me and distracting me from my other problems that soon enough it became chronic. I think it is the same with chronic back pain. The first episode is so painful and frightening that if we allow ourselves to be frightened by it then that is the first root in to our subconscious. Once it has established a strong root system, it becomes harder to dig up and get rid of it. We just have to keep on reminding ourselves that it is just a memory within our cellular system and that it is really harmless and cannot harm us... Anyway, easier said than done I know but I am determined to keep on trying. I still only have the dizziness episodes at night during sleep time. I am really fine during the day other than still battling with my shoulder problem. TMS methods have not worked well for me in this situation. I have made improvement to about 40% more range of motion with physical therapy sessions for a month now. I know PT is a bad word around here in Sarno land but hey, it has helped me with my "frozen shoudler" so far and if it gets rid of it then fine by me... I really think in some cases that Sarno would recommend PT in SOME cases. Maybe my shoulder problem would be one of them. I will give it another month or so. They do not baby me in PT that's for sure. They encourage movement and their goal is to get me out of there as soon as possible. That place is a very busy place.
Take care
Elise

Elise8
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  17:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elise,

I liked your analogy of the roots. Makes sense to me. The first time I got the dizzy thing, it didn't frighten me at all. I thought nothing of it and it went away promptly. The second time around, I got myself really worked up. I convinced myself I had Mal de Debarquement syndrome. You know, most of the women who had that were in their 40's and it seems a lot of people see a correlation to hormones and dizziness. My dizziness is always almost nil when I have other TMS ailments, like stomach problems. My stomach problems have resolved and I was just thinking about how I'm pretty much pain/illness/symptom free for the first time in a LONGGGG time. Then, today I got dizzy, briefly, a couple of times. I liked your post and found it encouraging. Take care.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000