TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How do you ignore the pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  08:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do not necessarily need a psychologist who understands TMS. You do need a Freudian psychoanalyst. Then, in your first session, simply explain very briefly Dr. Sarno's theory, that repressed emotions can lead to physical symptoms. If the psychologist is worth their salt, they will not dismiss this theory. In any case, a Freudian psychoanalyst is trained in the type of therapy necessary for TMS work. It's really up to you to accept that the things you learn about yourself in therapy are directly related to your physical symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  17:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started ringing round for therapists...
it can be quite scary.
especially when you get those therapists with a big attitude...
who fill you with all sorts of fears by asking you things like who is your Dr and did he suggests this? and what is TMS. And otherwise generally trying to break your resolve. Usually ending in - no I don't believe in analytical psychoanalysis. It has never been proven to be helpful.. lol. I hope I can find one who is not so full of themselves they will not listen to new ideas/support the idea that I may have valid input.

Thanks for your pointers tho Dave.

--------------------------------------------------
my TMS = diagnosed with fibromyalgia - forearm & hand tendonitis - vocal cord tension myositis syndrome - bad back/knee
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susie,

You said "in treating my back pain I also treated my equivalents too..." i.e. IBS and dizziness. Those are two of my worst TMS equivalents and I wonder if you could exlaborate on your dizziness for me and describe how long you had it for and what it was like. Mine comes on simply by anxious thoughts or in anxious situations. It also comes on in certain places, where I expect it to happen. It only lasts a moment but it troubles me. I've had it for over two years (read my post on dizziness - I'd hate to repeat the whole sordid story) and it's not bad now but I do experience it for a few seconds daily. Some days I don't have it all day long. I've had back pain, IBS, frequent urination and recurrent urinary tract infections, hives, tension headaches, acid reflux to name a few. But the dizziness has been the most troubling, because I've been afraid to fly or be on a boat. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  08:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura- I remember your posts because I really identified with them. I, too had dizziness, ibs, hives,frequent urination,etc. Like you, ibs and dizziness were my worst. I had all these off and on for years and then the big back attact this March. First I thought the dizziness was from eye strain and then a sinus infection. Usually when I laid down it was the worst. If I went from light into darkness ie. parking garage,dark room,I would totally loose my equilibrium. Sometimes, driving down the road, I would have to pull over. If I touched the back or top of my head, it would induce dizziness immediately. With my back attack came a huge ibs attack. Abdominal pain was terrible. I had so much discomfort, I thought for sure it was colon cancer. The fear that comes with tms exacerbated everything. I still get small doses of dizziness , ibs and other tms symptoms. I recognize them for what they are and they promptly go away. I have realized that if I allow tms and the fear that comes with it to have imput in my life, my participation in my life could be severly limited. Even though my backpain attack was horrific,I am almost grateful for it because it introduced me to Sarno and this wonderful information. The ability to control tms has changed my life. It is very impowering.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  15:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susie,
How long have you been doing the TMS work for? I would love to get rid of my constipaton and mild acne on face. I have really made progres with my back and think I am on my way. I am even running for the first time in years. Did you do journalling, see a therapist - would love to know a little about your path to recovery.thanks Suz
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  13:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suz- I was given Sarno's book the end of March. I read both his books many times and then bought the videos. I thought they were great. I journaled alot and dredged up stuff I hadn't thought of in years. I didn't see a therapist but I would advise one to someone who felt they needed more insight. For me, I think realizing all my symptoms were related and what was causing them was probably the most theraputic thing for me. It was a great relief. When I began to journal, I kept trying to find the "big" trigger that "sent me over the edge". I really don't know if there was one or if I found it but I think that honestly looking backward gave me a very good awareness of why I am what I am. Rick Carson's book "taming your Gremlin" was very helpful in getting me "to notice" my anxiety beginning. My triggers seem to be more based in anxiety and pressure than anger. Now when a symptom arises, I treat it like someone tapping me on the shoulder. I turn around to see who it is and what they "really" want. I don't know if I will ever be "symptom free". As Dr. Sarno said, most get around 90% and that's fine with me. I would bet that as your backpain diminishes, so will your ibs. Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000