TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 crazy, vivid dreams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently, with a reduction of the pain (almost non existent now for 5 days) I have noticed that my dreams are extraordinarily vivid, often disturbing and frightening. I do not normally have nightmares. A couple of nights ago, I dreamt I was attacked by killer bees! All very strange! This is not an occasional thing now, - ever since working on journalling and thinking emotionally, it is as if I have opened a vortex in my subconscious.
I wonder if it is as if a door has been opened and all of the subconsious stuff is coming to the surface. I do not feel anxious and depressed, in fact I feel marvellous. I am exercising for the first time in years - yesterday I ran which was so exhilerating. My hip started to hurt, but I ignored it. I am going to run again tonight.
I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing these bizarre dreams

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  16:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't suppose you are taking any pain medication, Suz? I ask because paracetemol (Is that tylenol in the US?) always gives me dreams like the one you describe. I have heard other people say that they get the same - although it is not listed as a side effect.

You mention that you run in the evening and that you feel exhilerated, maybe your mind is still very active when you go to bed. I know very little about dreams, but could that be what is happening?

Glad you have had such a good breakthrough. It's such a great feeling when you realise that you are getting your life back after years of living a half-life.
Go to Top of Page

MarkA

4 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  17:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suz,

Yes, I've been having some pretty awful dreams since beginning to read Mindbody Prescription...Not to mention some serious symptom switching, like tingling/burning in hands and shoulders, acne and hives. In fact, while I was just reading a little more tonight, I could actually feel the bottoms of my feet and my hands start to itch and my back pain start to wane. I haven't had hives since I was about 10 years old.

If I hadn't actually experienced this stuff myself, I NEVER would've believed it. It's been just a crazy experience, reading this book.

I think bad dreams are just another ploy by the brain to mess with itself. Maybe this is the "child" or ID Sarno talks about, running wild while the "parent" is asleep. This is a problem. If you're not conscious to control the situation, how are you supposed to managed it?

Mark
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  18:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds very interesting,

I would be more inclined to take this dreaming as a positive thing .
and that Yes your unconscious is being more free to express its self.
Maybe journaling your dreams at the same time will give you insights as it is fairly common idea that your dreams are a window into your unconscious.
I once got a voice recorder device and left it next to my pillow, and for an entire year recorded my dreams... once you start recording them like that(ie , not having to get up to actually write stuff, you can stay half asleep) , you get surprised how many dreams, you have... I would actually record a number of dreams I don't even remember, which is very interesting.

I would only be concerned if you start having these dreams when you're awake but by all means I would enjoy your unconscious expressing itself regardless of how disturbing it is to you consciously.
Go to Top of Page

Louise

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As AnneG pointed out - there are over-the-counter drugs that can cause very vivid and disturbing dreams. Tylenol is OK for me, but Advil & Motrin taken for more than a couple of days produce very scary dreams. I've heard others mention the same side-effect.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a few people, as well as myself who when they were in some type of therapy, or exploring their emotions began to have dreams like you mentioned. We came to the conclusion that it was the unconscious mind attempting to give them more areas which could use healing.
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  07:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that when I really allow myself to open up to feelings and focus on doing the TMS work (confront emotions, etc.) I have had more vivid dreams too. I think it's a good sign: it means your subconscious is opening up- not repressing.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it is probably a good sign. I do not take any pain medication at all - very occasionally advil but not on a regular basis. It has never helped my pain and now of course I barely have any back pain.
Mark,
I am interested to hear about your alternatives. My skin has been breaking out much more since the back pain has gone - I always wonder if it is food related but am pretty sure that it is a TMS equivalent. In the last 2 days, I have suddenly got a very painful boil like thing under my arm ( sorry for gruesome description) - I am convinced it is TMS.
Has anyone else seen skin problems actually go away with their TMS work?
Go to Top of Page

MarkA

4 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, basically i've been experiencing hives on my feet, arms and hands since reading the book. i've also had some of this burning/stinging pain in my shoulders, arms and hands. and of course the mondo zit on my face the other day. it's SO clearly a result of reading the book, which still just blows my mind that it's had this effect on my body. but it makes even more sense when i think back on other health issues i've had over the years that were never explained; namely panic attacks and stomach problems a few years ago. it's really something.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  16:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Louse Quote)
As AnneG pointed out - there are over-the-counter drugs that can cause very vivid and disturbing dreams.

(Tex runner quote)
I've noticed that when I really allow myself to open up to feelings and focus on doing the TMS work (confront emotions, etc.) I have had more vivid dreams too

(Suz quote)
I agree that it is probably a good sign. I do not take any pain medication at all - very occasionally advil but not on a regular basis. It has never helped my pain and now of course I barely have any back pain.

(Mark A quote)
Yes, I've been having some pretty awful dreams since beginning to read Mindbody Prescription...Not to mention some serious symptom switching

(TTom quote),
I too have had new equivalents, focusing my attention on fearful and angry thoughts. I have also had vivid dreams of depressing nature.

As we had mentioned on this board before, that dreams are an extension of our conscious thoughts, yet not always to be taken seriously as a normal rational pattern of thinking.

Our dreams and unconscious thought patterns can be influenced in many ways, especially when one starts to journal, stirring up and Unzipping these repressed emotions. Our brain thinks as one, with many parts that function together. The auto immune is set up to respond and process information that it receives internally. So if we open up this area or block them with the use of drugs it will definitely change, alter the effect of our conscious and unconscious thoughts. Which in return will effect us in our dreams.

One thing I would like to add that reinforces the refined Sarno’s theory. Early in his writings he allowed the use of physical therapy as well as drugs to help aid his patients to recover. But as he continued his study and treatment with patients he strongly suggested stopping all forms of physical therapy, which might hinder them from thinking physical. This included anything associated with remedies such as devices to rid the pain. In the beginning he also allowed the use of drugs for pain, then tapered off this approach as he became more exposed to treating TMS symptoms.

Now with saying this I believe in what Sarno discovered and have applied this TMS thinking. First excepting the diagnosis and eliminating all drugs, discontinuing physical therapy including chiropractic and anything else associated with remedies for my pain. With this MBP approach I had steady success, which lead to the hardest part. The jounaling and it was at that point I was attacked with some major TMS equivalent manifestations that I had never experienced before. Jounaling broke for the most part of the TMS grip. However today the journaling maintenance is still applied as needed.

IMO drugs that are blockers only hinder the healing process of TMS. They block the signals that are needed to make the connections and process our thoughts rationally. Some are used to block receiving the massage of pain, but I often think if it is TMS pain, than what offsets that block. (See Gary’s old post on CPL), I am not saying if you are currently taken prescription drugs to quit cold turkey and continue Sarno's protocol. Drugs need to be gradually reduced because of the side effects. Within the context of applying Sarno’s theory they can be used to gradually get some comfort while restoring the mobility back in areas that have been pain stricken for years.

There are also several types of antidepressant medications used to treat depressive disorders. These include newer medications-chiefly the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)-the tricyclics, and the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). The SSRIs-and other newer medications that affect neurotransmitters such as dopamine or norepinephrine-generally have fewer side effects than tricyclics.
Did you ever notice that many of drug side effects also mimic the manifestations of TMS and can also be TMS equivalents?
I remember a doctor answer program that I used to listen to said that over 85% of their patients that came to be treated no longer needed drugs after getting proper counseling and psychotherapy.

Again I would stress the importance of jounaling, getting real with ourselves, allowing our past to heal. I think we need to go through this to make these connections. We need to process the thoughts in a rational way as we face our fears, anger, anxieties, and traumatic experiences and make peace with them.

This is no different as in my sons’ condition, how we are teaching him to express his emotions properly. Each time we introduce a new program, we teach him a proper response and it stimulates the brain and makes a connection. And this needs to be done without drugs that only hinder that process. Maybe this makes more sense, why I posted way back the question about TMS being an immune dysfunction or immune malfunction.

That was probably about the time I spoke w/ Jeremy Graves.
Maybe I am on to something? Maybe I need to move on?

Always Hope For Recovery
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000