TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Delaware TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MRosenthal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  07:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted the message below about accepting it. I have been getting really intense nerve pain right where the MRI showed the disc herniated. It wakes me up recently at night. I suffer from anxiety and impatience. I am also a procrastinator. Is there anything anyone can advise to help me not worry so much about the pain being dangerous? I plan to work hard on fighting TMS, but still have a difficult time worrying that the pain is deteriorating my body in some way. How do you face your day knowing the pain is so bad? I am so scared. I am confused because all therapists that I have called have told me that a herniated disc is a serious condition and you should not blame it all on emotions. That destroys my TMS acceptance and I start from square one. Please help. Anys suggestions for someone in DE?

Thanks,
Matt

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  08:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How far are you from NYC? Dr. Sarno might see you if you can commit to traveling to NYC a minimum of two times (once for the exam, once for the lecture). It sounds like you would really benefit from hearing the diagnosis in person.

If you are not reading "Healing Back Pain" regularly, you should start. Read it over and over. Allow the concepts to sink in.

Herniated discs do not cause pain. The pain you experience is due to conditioning. You've seen the MRI, you know exactly where the disc is, and so does your brain. TMS is very clever, it will give you pain in exactly the location you expect it. It will do whatever it can to maximize the chances of success. Clearly in your case, it has succeeded big time.

It is pointless trying to get a therapist to understand and accept the TMS concept in a phone call. Stop doing that. The majority of the world's population will not accept TMS, and an even greater majority of the medical community (including psychologists) cannot accept it because it is contrary to their training.

If you want to undergo therapy on your own, I suggest you seek out a Freudian psychoanalyst. Then it is up to you to connect your therapy to the pain.

The anxiety, the worry about the pain being dangerous ... it is all a distraction, a ruse. And you're falling for it hook, line, and sinker. There must be a lot of stuff going on in your life (or in your past) that you are running away from, avoiding, not allowing yourself to feel.

Read the book, over and over. That's the place to start.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000