TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 catastrophizing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jilly_girl

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey art ....are you saying it took you two years AFTER you got off Xanax to feel normal or two years to get off it? I liked your post about how we will all eventually die, except for this part:

For sure we will all die and i liked your post on that subject. But i believe i'm going to a heaven thats beyond anything we have ever seen. "i can only imagine" .

Jill
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jilly,

It took me a week or so to get off it, two years to feel normal...

Heaven's a nice idea and I congratulate you on your ability to believe in it. I envy anyone who does as clearly it makes mortality easier to face.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  17:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle helped me.
I am a worrier, and always would think of 10 or more future outcomes, always negative. His other books are great, too.
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  19:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catastrophizing

Someone wrote a book years ago, “How to stop worrying and stop living.”

He contended that 90% of the things that we worry about never happen.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  20:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put, Art. Your analogy to the billions of yrs we did not exist and the billions after compared to this speck of existence, really puts it into perspective. I remember reading something very similar in a novel by the Russian writer, Turgenev (Fathers and Sons). I remember I was so struck by it that I copied it down.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  05:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had discussions with friends who argue that being un-alive before conception, and being dead after dying, are not the same thing, but it seem unarguable that one state of non-being can't be qualitatively different from another state of non-being.

'course, that kinda side steps the little matter of actually dying , but in the scheme of things it shouldn't be that big a deal..

I always liked Woody Allen on the subject...."I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens..

Edited by - art on 12/24/2005 05:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  06:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I want to die Peacefully and quietly in my sleep like my Grandfather did...

...Not screaming and kicking and fighting it like all those other people in the car he was driving !"

But seriously folks..I don't remember which comedian said that...but it was really funny.

On topic...you'll love this...I haven't been able to swallow food for about a week without flushing it out with water. My ears were superclogged with stuff,so I cleaned them and took a couple of sudafeds to help it drain..about 2 days in I couldn't swallow food all of a sudden.I of course ,am certain I have inoperable cancer and will die in the next year or so...

The internet can be a curse..I read up on 'dysphagia' and it can be psychosomatic, due to aging (who...MOI ??) or a tumor.I was warned by an ENT a few years back that I was a prime candidate for this problem and was told to take those modern antacids to stop the acidic cycle...which I haven't

anyhow...I was at work yesterday thinking about it when all of a sudden I remembered Art's visualization (billion years)....sort of put it all in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  10:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The internet can be a curse..

Oh yah. I've learned to simply not even go down that road. It's just not worth it as I will, like a moth to flame, home right in on the most dire possibility and perish there.

Last time I went cruising around in search of a diagnosis was after my feet swelled one day. So convinced that my kidneys were failing was I that I began to review my will..

Edited by - art on 12/24/2005 10:38:48
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  17:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can sure relate to your paranoia, Art & Baseball, re: symptoms. I made a decision recently to restrain myself, stay the hell away from researching symptoms on the internet! It never served for anything but to freak me out.

That said, Baseball, acid reflux/heartburn is something to take seriously. My family has direct experience with the results of letting it go. I would take the nexium or prilosec--whatever, if it is called for.

Art, I found the Turgenev quotation (Fathers & Sons)I mentioned:

"While I think: here I lie under a haystack...the tiny bit of space I occupy is so minute in comparison with the rest of the universe where I am not and which is not concerned with me; and the period of time it is my lot to live is so infintesimal compared with the eternity in which I have not been and shall not be...and yet here, in this atom which is myself, in this mathematical point, blood circulates, the brain operates and aspires to something too..."

Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  20:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can definitely relate to catastrophizing. I have never worried about getting cancer or any terminal disease, however from the time I began having TMS symptoms in my early 20s (I was a physical therapist at that time), I worried about developing a chronic condition such as arthritis, MS or degenerative disc disease. Throughout my years of having back pain I just knew that my spine was disintegrating! Then five years ago during a doctors appointment for yet another TMS symptom (probably restless legs syndrome), a melanoma was discovered! The bizarre thing about this is that I never worried over it during treatment nor since that time. (Fortunately it was completely resolved). I still only worry about my TMS related symptoms, and not cancer. I suppose that I'm likely repressing fear about serious stuff, like dying and that as long as I can focus on TMS symptoms, I don't have to face it. Ironically, Sarno mentions in MBP that folks who get melanoma are typically extreme TMS personality types! Wow! I wonder if and when all my TMS symptoms finally go away, I'll start worrying about getting cancer!

Happy holidays
Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  21:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrld,

Thanks for that. I love Russian literature...Crime and Punishment is for my money the best novel ever written...I have not read Turgenev though...

It's a beautifully written passage. I see just why it stuck in your mind.

Another Turgenev quote I found... "Death is like a fisherman, who, having caught a fish in his net, leaves it in the water for a time; the fish continues to swim about, but all the while the net is round it, and the fishermen will snatch it out in his own good time."

Chilling, eh?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000