TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Isn't this site meant to help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becca

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  12:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I have noticed lately that a few old timers on the site have been making rude comments to us new comers like "just read the book" or "read through the archives" or "if you sould just read the book you would understand." Recent posts have seemed to me to be very hostile to new members. If sarnos book is all that is needed we wouldn't be here.
I am frustrtated because I can't seem to make what he teaches work and the more experienced people on this board seem to be to impatient to help us newcomers. Not all of us can be healed just by reading the book-R

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  13:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, "rude" and "hostile" are subjective terms. Certainly you should not try to read emotion into textual messages. If a message here touches a nerve, take a step back and try to evaluate that feeling in the context of TMS.

There are many posts here asking questions that are clearly answered in Dr. Sarno's book. Some say they have read the books, but then ask questions that they should know the answer to, if they had really read it. The first treatment option for TMS is to read, re-read, and truly absorb the concepts in Dr. Sarno's book. If one comes here looking for answers before they do that, then it is just counterproductive.

There is also a search feature on this site. It is proper etiquette to look for answers to your questions by making use of the forum's archive before asking the same questions that have been asked before, sometimes many times before.

This forum was created for discussing topics related to TMS. Unfortunately it is often used for superficial messages such as "My neck hurts, is it TMS?" or for extolling the virtues of alternate theories or treatment methods.

The main message the "old timers" are trying to get across is, all the answers are in Dr. Sarno's books. If you do not get relief, then either you don't truly believe in his theory, you have not really understood the concept, have not focused enough on doing the work, or have deeply seeded psychological issues that need to be resolved with a professional therapist.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  13:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what specifically are you having trouble with in making Dr Sarno's approach work for you?
Go to Top of Page

jilly_girl

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  14:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Becca I am fairly new here too. I do not believe its as simple as reading his book and believing it. My pain hasnt magically disappeared despite my believing that this is my problem. I do not believe Dr. Sarno has ALL the answers but i do believe he is on to something. Few if any have their pain just go POOF after reading the book lol. Wishing you good health!

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  14:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing TMS-prone people must learn is patience.

Take a long-term view. If you've only been at it a few weeks don't expect miracles.

TMS is a habit that took a lifetime to develop. It takes time to undo that habit.

The one part of Dr. Sarno's book I suggest you ignore is the fact that "most" people get better in a matter of weeks. For some people, it works that fast. Others need a lot more time.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becca- dialoging extensively about your emotional life is a good start to learning about yourself. Making a timeline of your entire life I think is also a good exercise. Pay attention to when you first started to feel the TMS come on. This may give you a clue. (for instance for me TMS actually started showing up in childhood so I know that I have to go back there for answers) I think Baseball has some good stuff on dialoging that you may want to take a look at like making lists of all the people in your life that you may unconsciously be angry at. Remember TMS is all about repressed rage that you are not aware of so think about your history and whether it makes sense that you should have anger even though you don't feel it consciously. If you feel brave enough post some of this personal stuff on this site (or type it up like you are going to post it and post it if you feel like it). The very act of doing this may help you discover something about yourself. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  17:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also found writing helpful - I used Dr.schecter's Mindbody Workbook. I liked it, some people don't. I found specific events that set off a pain session. I sometimes post on running sites, and have had some extremely rude comments on those sites, and been called names, etc. I have found the people on this site to be very helpful. I hope you continue to post, and that you get well.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  19:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I genuinely have not seen anything rude in the way "old timers" have responded to newcomers..I don't read every thread, but I do read a lot of them...

As to TMS and its treatment, it's all about doing the work. First and foremost, read the book. Many of us were able to heal that way and even if not, the concepts are essential. Without a firm grounding in what it's all about, the necessary changes in thinking can't happen...

Once the book is truly digested, any questions from the point onward almost have to be good ones.

The good news is it's a really simple read. Very enjoyable actually.

Becca, if you've got specific questions that haven't been answered to your satisfaction, I'll be glad to take a crack at them. I'm no expert, but I do know the basics...

Edited by - art on 12/23/2005 19:37:08
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  12:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never say that every single person with TMS symptoms should expect to read one of Sarno's books and get instantly better. Some people do, but plenty of others don't and need more help. That's what the forum is for!

However, when someone posts asking the same questions over and over again about the most basic TMS concepts, they clearly have made little effort to learn what it is about, either from reading one of Sarno's books, or even looking through other recent posts. There is lots of information to be gleaned from some of the links from the site, as well. Like Dave said, I think that this is just basic etiquette for any forum, not just this one.

Reading Sarno's books will not provide the answers to all of life's questions, but will to most of those that concern the theory of TMS... I think the forum is more useful in terms of putting the theory into practice, or to get ideas about if certain symptoms are TMS-related, or just to have a sounding board for one's personal experience. I encourage patients to come here mainly to see that other people are going through similar experiences to their own, and can actually get better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000