TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Talking it out?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Waterbear

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  08:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a really supportive friend, God Bless her. She's listened to all my complaints and woes since my journey into pain.

When I was having panic attacks, she was always there for me. She's a bit fantastic, she just listens and normally has some sort of logical and positive response for me. She never asks me to talk about the pain, I start it.

I told her about TMS and she thinks the mind/body relationship is fascinating (so do I for that matter). She also thinks I have it 100%. We've been best friends for over 10 years; she knows I'm a stress victim.

As I learn things, I discuss them with her. Sometimes it's just from a sort of medical perspective. Sometimes we talk about my pain specifically.

My question is: is this good for me? Is talking it out a thing that helps? I like talking with her about it, but at the same time, I never get to just forget about the pain.

Thanks!

Edited by - Waterbear on 11/08/2013 08:17:31

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  10:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about it is certainly part of the first months in recovery. I know I needed to talk about it to everyone wanting and not wanting to hear
Talking can open up new perspectives that you don't find when only thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  11:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waterbear

My question is: is this good for me?

WB:
You are fortunate that you have such a friend. The best medicine is positive feedback. I immediately feel much better when I hear my wife say "You look like you're feeling much better!" Last year I read a paper where the benefits of such feedback were proven.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000