TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Cries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Racer

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the past, I have seen crying increased the pain. Instead, when I started realizing the emotions with affirmations started to help.

Why letting out emotions through tears doesn't help, worsens instead of reducing?

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  08:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could have to do with many things. In my case crying made my father very upset so it was better not to cry. I also know males who were told that boys don't cry. I often get a strong headache when I cry because in former times the need to cry made me tense up everything to avoid it.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  08:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if the crying gives a sense of relief, then it helps. If the crying is associated with increased tension and or fear then it increases symptoms. This is partly why I don't agree with dr sarnos theory fully.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  09:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Well if the crying gives a sense of relief, then it helps. If the crying is associated with increased tension and or fear then it increases symptoms. This is partly why I don't agree with dr sarnos theory fully.

Hi Ace,

Just curious how long you "shadowed" or worked with Dr. Sarno at NYU Rusk?

Thanks,
tt
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  10:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Racer

In the past, I have seen crying increased the pain. Instead, when I started realizing the emotions with affirmations started to help.

Why letting out emotions through tears doesn't help, worsens instead of reducing?

notice....crying is a form of stress...lot of bodily functions go into making someone cry---
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  12:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Racer, I really agree w/ Ace. I do believe it is a very individual thing because there is no "one-size-fits-all" theory.

I do believe, as jaya points out, that crying IS a form of "stress" because "it does require a lot of bodily functions" AND expressing any strong feeling is "stressful" ... like expressing rage or anger, for example.

At the same time, that stress can ultimately be a GOOD type of stress, as Ace points out, if it ultimately gives a sense of relief. Then it is ultimately helpful.

I also believe that it is not a static thing ... in that SOMETIMES in one's experience, crying might be helpful, whereas the next day, it might NOT be helpful. Trying to STOP tears can also be stress-inducing, but as birdie points out, that might be LESS stressful than crying in front of a dad who is not-accepting of tears.

For me personally, I would say that crying has been helpful to me, generally speaking. AND, is also a natural part of a "flow of feelings" ... where expressing anger turns it into sadness, then into fear, etc... (so that one does not get "stuck" in a particular feeling state.)

-RSR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000