TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Why does it hurt more at night?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  11:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have almost no pain at night, which makes sense for me because it's when my stress levels are at their lowest for the most part...

I think what matters is the connections we can make, and the understanding we can bring to bear that if we have a genuinely bad knee say, it should pretty much be bad (that is hurt) all the time. Periodic pain, situational pain...both of which is to say conditioned pain...is cause for celebration and a renewed commitment to a TMS diagnosis...

Edited by - art on 06/08/2013 13:26:59
Go to Top of Page

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  12:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting update - it has stopped hurting as much at night in the last couple weeks. I have also went and played basketball (just shooting around) 3x in that time span and surprisingly it hasnt hurt afterwards like I thought it would, based on my past experiences. There was one instance when i reached out sort of backwards for the ball and got a shooting pain, but that was it.

It is definitely improving, but the deep pain is still there if I do a weird movement or touch it (I try to never touch it anymore). Its just frustrating that its taking so long.

I am worried still though, because in january when it felt fine I started lifting weights and playing basketball and the pain came back very strong and took me out of sports for a few months. I was scared I retore it or something because I might have pushed a little too hard with the weight lifting. This time around I am trying to take it slow but its hard.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  08:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdiddy
...Its just frustrating that its taking so long.

It is counterproductive to monitor your progress or put any kind of timetable on recovery.

You must undergo a life-long change in the way you think about and react to the symptoms. You must recondition yourself. You must break bad habits that formed over decades. It is only logical that it will take time.

It's not unlike losing weight. Who is going to have a better chance of lasting success -- the one who goes on a certain diet and weighs himself every morning, or the one who decides to make a life long change in the way he approaches eating and exercise?
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  10:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you have conditioned yourself to "expect" more pain at night
Go to Top of Page

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  20:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i honestly have changed the way i think about it for the last couple months. i dont worry about it, touch it, give it attention, and even have stopped letting it get in the way of my enjoyment of life (playing basketball etc). and although ill say the symptoms and pain are much less, the pain is still there. it doesnt actually hurt when im sitting around and not using it, but if i move it in a wierd way or lift my arm in certain positions, it will "seize" up, sending me a sharp pain.

like today i played some basketball and the whole time it didnt hurt until i shot one particularly long 3 pointer and i got a sharp pain in the shoulder, and then one other time when i sort of bent my arm backward i got a very sharp pain. its strange because i have sort of reconditioned my brain to not expect pain anymore, so when i actually DO experience pain like those instances, it comes as a shock and surprise and feels like a setback. I know the pain is there, but those reminders are very discouraging.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000