TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Acute Plantar Fasciitis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  10:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that several people here have reported experience with plantar fasciitis.

Well, it seems my wife just came down with an acute case. She hopped on the train, felt a "pop" in her foot, and since then could not put any pressure on her heel without extreme pain.

We had x-rays to rule out a fracture, so it seems this is simply an injury to the plantar fascia, and/or a manifestation of TMS.

So my question is, has anyone here experienced an acute attack of plantar fasciitis? If so, what did you do, and how long did it take for relief?

The doctors have recommended rest and ice, which I tend to agree with, especially since this may be a "real" injury. But I am afraid of this developing into a chronic case of TMS, so I don't want to be overprotective if it is not going to help. She is already pretty devestated by the prospect of hopping around on crutches for any length of time...

Mobius

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  16:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to play a lot of tennis and was into backpacking the Sierra and I developed plantar fasciitis. It was my experience that it came on gradually and exhibited the most severe pain on getting up out of bed in the morning. I couldn't play tennis with this pain so I saw a Podiatrist who X-rayed the heel and determined that there was a heel spur. He wrapped it and off I went. At the time I REALLY wanted to play tennis so I went back to him and he gave the heel an injection in the trigger area. I didn't get much relief from this. He said that about half the people who suffered from plantar fascitis did not show the presence of a spur on X-ray and that many people who had heel spurs did not feel any pain from them. Eventually the pain subsided but it was with me for about 6 or 7 months. I was unable to play tennis or hike during that period.

Since your wife's injury did not gradually develop and it was obviously the result of sudden trauma to the heel area, IMO she doesn't have plantar fasciitis, just a severely bruised heel which should clear up with rest. Yes Dave, plantar fasciitis can be a manifistation of TMS, so the clever mind may look back someday at this heel injury and decide at that time to use it as a focal point for TMS. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  11:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I used to play sports regulary, I once had an acute attack of jumper's knee aka tendonitis in the patellar tendon. I also heard a pop and felt immediate and intense pain. There was no swelling. I continued to be active on it despite the pain, and it went away in a few weeks. I am still unsure whether this was acute tms or a real injury.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  14:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience was very similar to Mobius. My pain came on gradually. I had been standing on concrete, work related, for about 5 hours a day. The worst pain was in the morning when I got out of bed. My x-ray did show a heel spur. Had immediate relief but short term from an injection. I then had an orthodic made for my shoes and again had immediate and permanent relief. Actually, it was the best result I have ever had from a doctor's visit. I wore the orthodic about a year and that was around 3 years ago. I was not aware of tms at the time so I have no idea if it was a placebo effect or a result of the orthodic but it worked for me.
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  18:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a cheap pair of sneakers. When I was playing soccer, sort of, one on one with my grandson, I developed a pain in my left foot. Stupidly, I kept playing (I was having so much fun.) and the pain got worse and eventually unbearable. Later I could hardly walk.

When I got up in the morning the pain was severe in my heel. Why the heel? It was the instep (arch) that hurt earlier. My doctor said that heel pain is an indication of plantar fasciitis. I had to wear a heel cup and an insert to support my instep (arch)which were a tremendous help,otherwishe I could not walk with the pain. It took about a year for the pain to completely go away. I also was told by my doctor to stretch my calf muscle by standing on the first stair with my heels hanging over and lift up and down. This excercise may or may not have helped in my recovery.

By the way, my doctor had also purchased a cheap pair of sneakers and he had just gotten plantar faciitis when I went to see him. My pain was gone a year later, but his was not.

Could this be TMS? I suppose so, but I doubt it. In my case there was a gradual lessening of the pain for several months until it completely went away. With TMS, the recoveries appear to be a process of peaks and valleys. I still wear arch supports today, years later. If I don’t wear them, the pain comes back.

Don't buy cheap sneakers.

Go to Top of Page

Irish Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  22:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, your wife's case sounds like an injury. I've had Plantar Fasciitis off and on for about 5 years. I've just started treating it as TMS. I've thrown away my custom made orthotics(insoles) and I'm starting to improve. My plantar f. came on gradually, no acute attack. I would treat it as TMS if doesn't improve with therapy. I wish her luck. I wish I knew about TMS along time ago, plantar faciitis kept me from sports for along time.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  00:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding plantar fascitis; about a year ago the attractive and athletic wife of the club tennis pro had p.f. I started noticing that other lady club members started coming down with it too. She got better and so has everyone else. Havn't heard anymore about it since. Was it p.f. flu? Foot injury fashion? Or was it TMS? My bet is team tennis TMS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000