TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 facet syndrome?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

painfreeny

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I've had lower back pain off and on for about 7-8 months. Sometimes I don't feel it at all and sometimes it feels overwhelming. However, I don't need to take any pain medication, I sleep well at night, and it does not inhibit me from doing any physical activities, except that I get frustrated from the pain.
Anyway, I am familiar with Dr. Sarno's theories. I have recently purchased "Healing Back Pain" and am hoping that this will help lead to results.
I know that thinking physical is anti to Dr. Sarno's program, but my question is whether or not anyone here has been diagnosed by a physician with facet syndrome? Basically the kind of pain I am experiencing seems in line with facet syndrome symptoms (deep, localized tenderness, tenderness to palpation, pain on extension (bending backward.) I have had X-rays months ago, which showed nothing wrong, I have none of the shooting pains and neurological symptoms typically attributed to herniated discs, and I have had the pain completely disappear (like when I went to Florida) and then reappear again when I came back to New York.
What are Dr. Sarno's views on facet syndrome? I would be very curious to hear of anyone who has been diagnosed with this and how their work dealing with TMS has helped them overcome these particular symptoms.

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  14:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was diagnosed with facet syndrome by a chirporactor.

Dr. Sarno does mention it in his book, "Healing Back Pain." It is TMS.
Go to Top of Page

goodguy

26 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  15:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also diagnosed with facet syndrome. I had a cortizone injection, and the pain moved to the middle of my back. So, for me, I can only say that the diagnosis or treatment didn't help me at all.

Also, I remember reading that even members of the medical community who don't believe in Sarno's theories have debated whether facet syndrome even exists.
Go to Top of Page

painfreeny

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  13:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

When your chiropractor diagnosed you with facet syndrome, did the chiropractic adjustments help? Did you finally resolve the problem? Sorry if you have addressed these issues before, I am new to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  13:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by painfreeny

Dave,

When your chiropractor diagnosed you with facet syndrome, did the chiropractic adjustments help? Did you finally resolve the problem? Sorry if you have addressed these issues before, I am new to the forum.

This particular chiropractor was the worst kind. He showed me an X-ray and made me very frightened of my "Facet syndrome." He said it was pretty bad, but that he can fix it as long as I come for regular adjustments. At the time I was having bad back spasms, nevertheless he went to work and gave me some pretty radical adjustments.

That night I went home and experienced the worst pain of my entire life. I could not move, I had to crawl and have people lift me into bed. The pain was excruciating.

The chiropractor was not alarmed, he said it was common for this to happen, and that it was important for me to keep dragging myself into his office for electronic stimulation and adjustments. So as soon as I could walk I dragged myself in there.

Long story short, the chiropractic treatment did not help, it made things worse. The chiropractor was very persuasive, and had me fully believing that I had a pretty serious problem. He stoked the fear, and then it became a full-blown case of TMS.

A few months later I saw Dr. Sarno and the rest is history. Despite 12+ years of chiropractic adjustments, from a close friend of mine, I now firmly believe that there is absolutely no basis to chiropractic whatsoever. Any relief that people get from adjustments is a pure placebo. Our spine does not go out of alignment. There are no subluxations. The entire profession is pointless, despite the fact that there are actually some good chiropractors out there who truly want to help their patients and believe they are doing good.
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  13:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*A few months later I saw Dr. Sarno and the rest is history. Despite 12+ years of chiropractic adjustments, from a close friend of mine, I now firmly believe that there is absolutely no basis to chiropractic whatsoever
*The entire profession is pointless, despite the fact that there are actually some good chiropractors out there who truly want to help their patients and believe they are doing good.

Ditto Dave, did that for 20 + years
and the rest is history

I do think you can mess yourself up and you can hold yourself that way, but eventually your body will straighten it self out,therefore chiropractic is placebo, once again the body has ability to compensate and
also ability to heal itself if you know this and let it.

Always Hope For Recovery

Edited by - kenny V on 07/01/2004 14:09:33
Go to Top of Page

Logan

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  10:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chiropractors can be well meaning, I believe most are but I also agree with Dave that the whole profession is misled at best and predatory at worst. I had a similar experience with a chiro. He was very personable and sypathetic and I went to him for several years. Although he was initially upbeat and optimistic about helping me "recover" from a minor car accident, he eventually gave up any hope of relieving my symptoms (I could see it in his eyes and the eyes of his office assistants,THAT POOR POOR GIRL. He was still willing to do adjustments and take my money but he told me that I would perhaps have to learn to live with the pain. That, along with the fear he cultivated with the diagnosis of facet syndrome and severe scar tissue in my spinal muslces was the biggest contributor to my development of severe TMS.

Chiro - Don't do it. That's the best advice I can give you.
Go to Top of Page

painfreeny

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Logan,

Interesting comments. Did you ever recover from your pain, and if so how? Also, how long after the accident did you start feeling pain? Was it instantaneous, or did it develop later?
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  17:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been diagnosed with severe facet arthritis in my lower back. This is after many X rays and 2 MRI's which very clearly showed the problem not just some chiro telling me what I had. from what I've read about it so far the consensus seems to be that it is a very painful condition to have. In HBP Sarno dismisses it in about 5 lines saying that in his opinion it does not cause pain That is the only mention he makes of this problem. I'd like to know what others with this problem have experienced.
Thanks.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

Edited by - mala on 07/02/2004 17:45:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000