TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Irreversible damage by pushing through RSI pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  18:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had intense forearm pain (tennis elbow) for the past four months and have tried everything-chiropractors, neurologist, orthopedists, PT. I have had MRI's of both arms and my neck. All three radiologists said they looked completely normal, although one orthopedist who viewed the MRI said he thinks he sees some degeneration so he referred me to another orthopedist for a possible steroid injection in my neck. I have also taken three blood tests to rule out conditions like diabetes, autoimmune disorders, muscle problems, etc.

I am a dentist and have hardly used my arms since then. Had to hire another dentist to work in my place. Just discovered TMS and was considering resuming working full speed ahead with my arms but have heard that if I over exert myself, I might do irreversible damage. Is this possible? Have been advised it is either due to over exertion or a degenerated disc. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - JA1928 on 12/30/2012 11:33:23

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should ask it this way:Does anyone here know of anyone who assumed their pain was TMS related, and as a result pushed through the pain, to the point where they did major damage to themselves? Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, my sympathies with your plight. As a tournament tennis player, I'm certainly familiar with "tennis elbow" as well as "little league elbow" a variation of it. I've had it several times and have NO trace of it now, so it is totally curable--good as new!

First things first, what do you understand about TMS theory? Have you read any of the TMS literature?

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  08:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read Sarno's Mindbody Prescription and Brady's Pain free for Life. Was going to start the program next week and start using my arms at work like usual, but I have been warned that I might cause irreversible harm.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  09:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JA, I would like to recommend one more book because for me, it put things in a way that I could relate to more than Sarno's books. The Great Pain Deception by Steven Ray Ozanich. Steve is frequently on this board also.

It is a tough call when a doctor uses words like "irreversible damage". A few years ago I had really bad foot pain. My foot dr could not fit me in so I saw his partner who said "If you don't rest, your foot will fall apart". What kind of language is that to use to a patient? I was petrified with horrible visions in my head, furious, so told my main doctor who hired him and he apologized. In my case, I had to rest, I seriously couldn't take a step and try to "walk through it". I lost work, as I am doing now with a knee diagnosed with bursitis. I am taking the conventional route now of resting. I strongly believe in TMS as it has been proven to me many times with certain pains but I don't attribute everything to it.

I would say get other opinions but you have. It is really hard to tell you this is TMS and go back to work full time...I don't know if anyone would want that responsibility but this board leans toward the side of TMS. I would like to hear your thoughts..please check out Steve's book though, I really feel it can help you decide.
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  09:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JA1928

I have had intense forearm pain (tennis elbow) for the past four months and have tried everything-chiropractors, neurologist, orthopedists, PT. I am a dentist and have hardly used my arms since then. Had to hire another dentist to work in my place. Just discovered TMS and was considering resuming working full speed ahead with my arms but have heard that if I over exert myself, I might do irreversible damage. Is this possible? Have been advised it is either due to over exertion or a degenerated disc.

(Edited a previous thread and turned it to this as it was too long winded)

hello JA1928-
...have you done the emotional therapy .....
tried to face any emotions that you might have not wanted to face
in a long time,see the pain stems from our repressed thoughts-
did you go doun that rd to learn how to release these strong-holds
we can read the books but we have to apply the concepts and keys
that heal-you have to get the pain to subside first by hitting at the emotions of anger and anxiety that you have stored in your body-these emotions if not dealt with,will keep you in pain -and i can tell you to work against it but youd still get worse-only work against the edge of the pain after you have done all that sarno-brady and steveo tell you to do-
you should rest your arm till you learn to start dealing with repressed emotions and surpression that you keep doing and building more power to the orignal emotional problem-and we dont have to get to the exact emotion to heal-its like this spider has legs and let me cut off those legs then he cant bother me -see i know these words and concepts might be exuberant-but theres really no other way
theres one way to get to the source of the pain and start to heal and thats flat out doing what were supposed to do ,in order to get those repressed thoughts-feelings-emotions and doubts to surface-it could be many patterns of your personality-you have to find out-
so we can face them-then and only then will you have those uh-huh moments that will show you your going in the right direction-
the core of sarnos theory is to stop running from all our issues and stop trying to forget about them-we have to faCE THEM AND MOST OF THEM ARE SUB-CONSCIOUS-
-sarnos books and steve ozanichs books along with brady should lead you in the way to bring these emotions to surface-its when we do this
that effects the pain to be lessoned-
there is so much more but if you take one day at a time and do the work-in a matter of weeks you should start to notice a difference-then when the pain starts to sub-side you can return to what you love to do-
remember no time limits-im just giving you some thoughts to ponder
tennis tom has ridded himself of many ,many issues using this therapy -and a combonation of sorces of wisdom-hes gonna make medical history-(great to know hes here)
the thousand mile journey starts with a single step

Edited by - eric watson on 12/30/2012 09:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  10:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JA1928

I have read Sarno's Mindbody Prescription and Brady's Pain free for Life. Was going to start the program next week and start using my arms at work like usual, but I have been warned that I might cause irreversible harm.

I was told by doctors that I would risk being paralyzed if I jogged, lifted weights or even fell, because of a thoracic disc herniation. I was written off as a hopeless case, as only one in one million people have symptomatic thoracic herniated discs. I was told my life was over. Even cancer and AIDS patients got better issuances of hope from doctors than I got. Who wants to live with horrible -- and I mean suicidal pain levels, which NOTHING touched-- if death would at least bring peace and pain relief?

One stupid ass chiropractor even told me that I would NEVER be one hundred percent again because of my "injury". What injury? I woke up one day with a heavy feeling on my right side. Tight damned muscles were all they were. But nobody told me that, so I freaked out, and tight muscles escalated all up and down my spine and torqued my torso so much that any movement was torture -- sitting, standing, walking.

Arms, like any other part of the body can and should be used. If you don't -- I promise you-- your pain will grow and expand.

Read up on some anatomy if you have to, to understand the basic functioning of the human body, because to just be told that your problem is either psychogenic or structural, will provide you with limited knowledge.

In re-reading, I see that you are a dentist, so you know anatomy, and with that knowledge you should be able to deduce what muscles, tensed, will cause tennis elbow, forearm pain,etc.. The cause may be psychogenic, but the pain, as they say, as is the muscle tightness, is real. With real bodily effects.

Knowledge is the cure, but if you don't have all of it, you won't be cured. This can include dealing with anger and anxiety issues, too.

Lose the fear; lose the pain, but understand as much about your anatomy and your mind as you can.

BTW, the doctors were all wrong. If I listened to them, instead of reading some of the enlightened posters here and other things, I would dead by my own hand. What more can I say?

You will be fine once you understand. I promise.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Edited by - Back2-It on 12/30/2012 10:47:38
Go to Top of Page

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  11:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have read this concept many times on this forum and in books;"Dealing with/working through/facing/confronting your emotions. I am unclear as to what it means. Doesn't someone generally know if they are experiencing emotions such as fear, hurt, anger, etc even if they do not express these emotions outwardly? Or are there many people who experience an emotion and are not aware of it? One case I can imagine is if someone had experienced abuse as a child, but I know that from reading Sarno and Brady that these experiences are a whole other animal.

In order to overcome suppressing our emotions, do we need to outwardly express them so they don't get bottled up? Sounds silly, but does this mean that if you are angry at someone, that you have to get upset at them? I deal with the public on a daily basis and cannot imagine doing this. Even though idoing so might decrease the arm pain, if I told some difficult patients how I really felt toward them, it would be bad for business. (:

Or in order to overcome suppressing our emotions,does it mean we should not experience them to begin with, or at least to a lesser degree? I am not referring to bottling anything up, but to seeing things through the other person's point of view, or doing the classic "count to 10 before reacting," etc. Maybe if I adopt the mindset that nothing can make me angry without my permission, so that if someone cuts me off while on the road, that instead of feeling anger, that I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
So in order to have one's TMS related pain go away, one needs to 1)Say more of what is on one's mind when dealing with other people, or 2)work on "mellowing out" and learning to essentially be more happy and not not get upset or get hurt as easily.

An addendum to my first comment on the thread-I forgot to include that I have had MRI's of both arms and my neck. All three radiologists said they looked completely normal, although one orthopedist who viewed the neck image thinks he sees some degeneration so he referred me to another orthopedist for a possible steroid injection in my neck. I have also taken three blood tests to rule out conditions like diabetes, autoimmune disorders, muscle problems, etc.

Tennis Tom, thanks for the welcome to the forum. I have learned from some of your comments on this forum. Susan, thank you for the book suggestion;I just started Dr Schoobiner's book and might add Ozanich's book to my collection. "Back2-It," thank you for sharing your experience. my arm pain covers practically the whole area of both if of my forearms (not circumferential). Anything that involves gripping, fine movements such as writing, typing, tying shoelaces,or bending my wrists involves a generalized achiness. I referred to it as tennis elbow although it i more involved than just the elbow area. I appreciate everyone's input.

Edited by - JA1928 on 12/30/2012 11:35:32
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  11:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JA, just want to throw in a comment about repressing or expressing anger. In chapter 2 of Steve's book he talks about the ego, id and superego in very easy to understand terms and how the conflict of what we want to say to people (for example) and what we have to say in order to be accepted causes the conflict that leads to our pain.

You may know all this from psychology courses but it's a whole different thing when you are reading his book, you feel like he is talking to you, not like a textbook. He went through this himself. There is not a boring moment in this book.

I also have Schubiner's book, to be honest, have been lazy about doing it, but it's great. They all are but Steve's book is just different, so many gems, page after page, I feel like I am his saleswoman or something...I am not, it's just incredible so I hope you get it. It's on Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  12:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JA1928

Eric, I have read this concept many times on this forum and in books;"Dealing with/working through/facing/confronting your emotions. I am unclear as to what it means.

A)this is the first obstacle-so many of us think ,well thats what im already doing ,when really were not,-
have you had any uh huh moments-have you done the facing-
its so much more than journaling or facing but this is the step we take first
then we understand awareness in which we start to learn our stressors and our re-actions to those stressors-are you aware of your personality traits that might be adding fuel to the fire-
stop right there now and think....
have i done this?
and have i applied all 12 daily reminders-
the process isnt to question if.
its to know,yes i do have repression stored...
your repression could be something from childhood or it could be the very thing you do every day that keeps the repression buried-
i dont know -only you can search and find the truth
we can help guide you though.....

Q) Doesn't someone generally know if they are experiencing emotions such as fear, hurt, anger, etc even if they do not express these emotions outwardly?

A)yes we generally know(at least we think we do-hence,sarno)-not always but most of the time-the idea is whats really causeing me to get angered at this cat for walking across the living room-its not because your mad at the cat-its because you have a hidden repression thats causing your triggers and anchors to be activated-or it could be over-sensitized nerves usually both-i dont think you can have one without the other....etc
it all still stems from the original repressions-how we perceieve
-our re-actions and so forth-
see it aint easy to comprehend if you didnt get a full understanding of what sarno teaches-i hope your getting it here-
like do you ever wonder why you get mad at some of the craziest things-well thats triggers

Q) Or are there many people who experience an emotion and are not aware of it?

A)yes there are many people who experience emotions and are not aware of it-thats why we originally came here-that was to hard to comprehend-how can my sub-conscious be doing this to me-its trying to protect you right-but now wed rather face the emotion than the pain but the brain dont see it that way-again sarno and steveo can explain this part of the mechanism-its in the books right

Q) One case I can imagine is if someone had experienced abuse as a child, but I know that from reading Sarno and Brady that these experiences are a whole other animal.

A)i never experienced abuse but looking back there was a lot i went thru that was huge to me as a child and young adult and now-
its the emotion we have attached to that time in our life of distrought intense,hurtful doubtful times that we can change -
its the beginning
as steve said its not whats repressed but why are we repressing it.
its knowledge therapy to the hilt-if you want it-you have to go and
really do some thinking

Q)In order to overcome suppressing our emotions, do we need to outwardly express them so they don't get bottled up?

A)you can outwardly express them on a commen sense level-other things we go thru-we learn to accept and bacome at peace with the matter-agian the issue is a lot of times our re-actions

Q) Sounds silly, but does this mean that if you are angry at someone, that you have to get upset at them?

A) see you hit the nail on the head-yes we can get up set at them but dont bury it -and dont lose your ethics either-use acceptance here but you have to face the emotion-or as we love to think-just forget about it-that never works we never forget anything its stored in our sub-conscious and boils-things that we thought we forgot about but in reality thats the issue thats the root cause of the pain

Q) I deal with the public on a daily basis and cannot imagine doing this.

A)if you want to keep dealing with the public learn to accept the angers and hurts and doubts in a better light....
im not sure -your a dentist right-you have to be polite -right-
well -do you ever have times when you want to tell the public to shove it-
if you do and you ignore that emotion -then your surpressing that anger and hurt in your body....
this sounds out there-and id never admit im mad at the public-but the truth is we still have an id part in our brains that does get mad at the public
its when this happens that we change our actions to those stressors and accept a better outcome-to satisfy the id and in time we can just do it with out thinking

Q) Even though idoing so might decrease the arm pain, if I told some difficult patients how I really felt toward them, it would be bad for business. (:

A)you just said the surpression right there-thats whats keeping the fire burning
you really want to get this off your chest-you just really dont know how too...
next time think of the emotion-change your reprsentation of the perceived thought-and you should start to see re-sults-
remeber its the emotions we have buried inside that when we see or hear the triggers of the past we blame it on the cat or the people
and on the other hand the public nearly killed me in my emotions
before i learnt about sarnos theory -the public had all but dug the grave for me-
until i understood i had the power to re-condition these mis-reprsentations....

Q)Or in order to overcome suppressing our emotions,does it mean we should not experience them to begin with, or at least to a lesser degree? I am not referring to bottling anything up, but to seeing things through the other person's point of view, or doing the classic "count to 10 before reacting," etc. Maybe if I adopt the mindset that nothing can make me angry without my permission, so that if someone cuts me off while on the road, that instead of feeling anger, that I should give them the benefit of the doubt.
So in order to have one's TMS related pain go away, one needs to 1)Say more of what is on one's mind when dealing with other people, or 2)work on "mellowing out" and learning to essentially be more happy and not not get upset or get hurt as easily.

A)this is good-just dont do number 1 in a bad sence-if you have to get something off your chest yes-but remeber your ethics-unless your talking it out with yourself-we have to comunicate the negative attributes and one way is awareness-like i know what i just did-i caught it-now im going to
accept in a better light-like you said in number 2

Q)An addendum to my first comment on the thread-I forgot to include that I have had MRI's of both arms and my neck. All three radiologists said they looked completely normal,

A)see,your at the right place

Q) although one orthopedist who viewed the neck image thinks he sees some degeneration so he referred me to another orthopedist for a possible steroid injection in my neck. I have also taken three blood tests to rule out conditions like diabetes, autoimmune disorders, muscle problems, etc.

A)degeneration is normal of the aging process-not the reason your in pain....
youve had the test,now give tms healing another try-this time with all your heart

Edited by - eric watson on 12/31/2012 05:35:08
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  13:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to see a prominent local physiatrist while still in that phase of investigating my neck pain that I now know to be muscle tension from psychogenic causes. He had reviewed my file electronically, and on the basis of an xray report in the file, without even conducting an exam, he declared that my pain was from arthritis. I pointed out to him that the xray report (with which I was familiar) was at that point five years old, was taken at a time I had NO NECK PAIN (it was done for other reasons), and concluded that I had no significant abnormalities just some minor spurring. I then walked out, and wrote a very angry letter to his hospital just to vent. Keep in mind, this was a guy who has published, has high ratings on the patient review sites, etc.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...but I have been warned that I might cause irreversible harm.

JA, since this is the TMS Help Forum, my response to this terrible NOCEBO that was laid on you is: BULL **** ! ! !

I believe you said you had imaging done. It showed nothing structural except for some normal "arthritis", due to aging. The Good Doctor refers to as "GRAY HAIR OF THE SPINE". Outside of trauma, you could not have done anything that serious to your arms. Maybe your subconscious is telling, you through your TMS defense mechanism, that it wants you to take a break from your stressful life. Recognizing that your painfully real TMS symptoms are BENIGN, will take a big load of FEAR and stress off of you. The cause of the pain is theorized to be due to a minute amount of O2 deprivation--but it doesn't matter what the mechanism is that creates the real pain--because when it's found out, the gremlin will just change sites, in an attempt to keep "PROTECTING" you.

Take a look at the Rahe-Holmes list of life stressors that cause TMS dis-ease and identify what situations you are in that are at the subconscious root of your TMS pain.

Although you've read several good TMS books, it's taken your MINDBODY, perhaps all your life to develop the wrongful thinking patterns as a defense mechanism/PROTECTOR/distraction device. I think you need to reread the TMS fundamentals because you haven't pulled all the pieces together yet. This is pretty normal, as the TMS gremlin has a way of making us overlook the information we need--tricky little bugger that the gremlin is. Read and reread, listen to TMS audios in your car, watch Dr. Sarno's video--"Healing is gradual--very gradual." SteveO.

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/31/2012 09:51:54
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  07:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

I went to see a prominent local physiatrist while still in that phase of investigating my neck pain that I now know to be muscle tension from psychogenic causes. He had reviewed my file electronically, and on the basis of an xray report in the file, without even conducting an exam, he declared that my pain was from arthritis. I pointed out to him that the xray report (with which I was familiar) was at that point five years old, was taken at a time I had NO NECK PAIN (it was done for other reasons), and concluded that I had no significant abnormalities just some minor spurring. I then walked out, and wrote a very angry letter to his hospital just to vent. Keep in mind, this was a guy who has published, has high ratings on the patient review sites, etc.

It's funny what falls out of a psychiatrist's mouth: I went to one and he told me that it entirely "somatization", which, technically, could be correct, but I took that to mean "all in my head". He told me that once I stopped believing it real, "it" would go away. "Yes," I thought, but what about the very real tensed and knotted muscles that I and any doctor (who never did) could feel, if they layed hands on me.

Then it only got worse as the MRI of the spine showed a disc herniation that somewhat matched the pain area. Not to mention I had just had gallbladder surgery and was told that I could be one in whatever small number that have life-long residual pain from it. Or, I could have scar tissue. Or, as an added bonus, I could have all three going on, because the referral pattern for the spine fit nicely into the gallbladder area.

That NOCEBO (S) sent me over the cliff, even though I had first suggested to my GP (who, missed seeing a gallbladder the size of a summer squash -- so infected it was) in me, that my problems might be psychogenic, due to a dying relative I was taking care of ( and resented) a relationship re-kindled (where nothing had changed) and traveling 3.5 weeks out of 4 for work (alone) and on and on it goes.... I even had purchased, by chance only, the Mind Body Prescription, but tossed it aside, especially when the MRI showed that nice slice of a disc herniation. Then the NECEBO's piled on even further, when chiropractic doctors (I use the term "doctor" loosely here) -- mostly-- refused to work on me for fear of me ending up pissing on their floor.

Then my new PCP, whom I do like, even he read looked at the MRI and the transcript and told me I was a hopeless case, hope you can bear the pain, and do not have any surgery, because thoracic disc surgery is too dangerous. Then I asked him to read the transcript again, slowly. Had to ask him. He did, to his credit, and concluded -- this is a DO-- that the pathology did not make sense, based on my symptoms. There was no "nerve" impingement and not abnormal "signals", etc. The damned thing was just sitting there, pulled to the side, no doubt because my muscles on one side of my spine and side were bent like the bow of a bow and arrow and that was the fulcrum point.

Then he took a good long look at me and said out loud to me that "Maybe you are anxious?" Think? Really. Just because I could not even sit still and had to pace his office while talking to him, among other things, all the while holding my aching side and feeling the tight muscles in my back screaming!?

To this day, when I have to go to the doctor for regular blood pressure check or go near anything medical, my white coat b/p shoots up and my anxiety goes out of sight. I cannot and will not ever trust any doctor again. (I do like my dentist, though. Have had him for over 30 years.).

I'm venting, I guess, because of the failure to recognize that my problems, like Eric and Tom and Susan and the rest here are saying, was due to my internal wiring with dealing with stress and failure to comfort emotional problems in a reasonable way, for fear of losing what I really did not have. MY insides were twisted and so were my outsides. I was leading a life I was somehow wired to do from youth. It takes some introspection and a willingness to accept that, emotionally (and physically) painful as some things are, they have to be either accepted, confronted or changed. Or all three.

It was about the medical community, mostly trying to be helpful, but not treating the entire patient, by asking some simple questions that Dr. Sarno so nicely illustrates, such as "what is going on in your life", but mostly it was about me.

There are a good number of stories on here about gamers whose arms got frozen or painful, so you are not alone.

Because I am fairly new from escaping from the pain nightmare, I have tried to stay away from the forums, helpful as they were and are, but I do feel compelled, for whatever reason, to comment on some things. I cannot add to the advice here, only by illustration, because others explain so well what the real deal is.

Have a great New Year!

It will be better if you listen to some of the wise posters here.

Edited by - Back2-It on 12/31/2012 07:49:17
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a PHYSIATRIST, not a psychiatrist. I would have been much better off with the latter LOL. It seems many of us have had the same experiences with doctors; I try not to globalize my distrust but it's hard, especially because I am very skeptical now not only of the conventional approach to pain issues but also some of the common and in my view misguided drug-oriented approaches to other issues. Ah well.

What's especially frustrating for me is the relationship is so one-sided and there is essentially no recourse for being misdiagnosed and mistreated. But I guess one has to let that go lest one internalize it and it be another source of pain.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  09:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes--physiatrist / psychiatrist--a good example of how the gremlin jacks with us when we are not 98% all there. Most all of these two brands of white coats get TMS wrong--have never heard of it nor are interested--they might have to take their patients to heart if they did. Just spoke with a physiatrist in the hot tub the other day. He'd even heard Dr. Sarno speak at a professional conference once--found him interesting--but didn't switch specialties to psychiatry--at least he didn't become a surgeon.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/31/2012 10:02:06
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  10:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It

quote:

I was told by doctors that I would risk being paralyzed if I jogged, lifted weights or even fell, because of a thoracic disc herniation. I was written off as a hopeless case, as only one in one million people have symptomatic thoracic herniated discs. I was told my life was over. Even cancer and AIDS patients got better issuances of hope from doctors than I got. Who wants to live with horrible -- and I mean suicidal pain levels, which NOTHING touched-- if death would at least bring peace and pain relief?

One stupid ass chiropractor even told me that I would NEVER be one hundred percent again because of my "injury". What injury? I woke up one day with a heavy feeling on my right side. Tight damned muscles were all they were. But nobody told me that, so I freaked out, and tight muscles escalated all up and down my spine and torqued my torso so much that any movement was torture -- sitting, standing, walking.

Arms, like any other part of the body can and should be used. If you don't -- I promise you-- your pain will grow and expand.

Read up on some anatomy if you have to, to understand the basic functioning of the human body, because to just be told that your problem is either psychogenic or structural, will provide you with limited knowledge.

In re-reading, I see that you are a dentist, so you know anatomy, and with that knowledge you should be able to deduce what muscles, tensed, will cause tennis elbow, forearm pain,etc.. The cause may be psychogenic, but the pain, as they say, as is the muscle tightness, is real. With real bodily effects.

Knowledge is the cure, but if you don't have all of it, you won't be cured. This can include dealing with anger and anxiety issues, too.

Lose the fear; lose the pain, but understand as much about your anatomy and your mind as you can.

BTW, the doctors were all wrong. If I listened to them, instead of reading some of the enlightened posters here and other things, I would dead by my own hand. What more can I say?

You will be fine once you understand. I promise.

hello Back2-it - just wanted to say this is a great post
youve been doun that dark highway and have came out in victory
glad to see your here helping-its awesome the way we learn things
at first we are so mad at them for what they say to us-then we get
the understanding that we are in control,we do have the power,
its a bitter pill to swallow,but a beutiful reality it creates....

Edited by - eric watson on 12/31/2012 10:09:42
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  12:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been messing about with Sarno since 1993 and I can honestly say that my life would be a horror w/o him and his advice. Most recently, I have been peeing constantly, day and night, so I just told myself to "knock it off" and have barely pee'ed since (spelling? lol). Now, of course, I am worried about NOT peeing. It's hard to believe that these two conditions can juxtapose (within a day) in the same mind/body but here they are. I don't seem to have the capacity for moderation. Working on that.

All around me people are moaning about their owies. My sister was on oxycontin for 12 years because of pain that practically vanished when I told her about Sarno. Most people, however, fail to listen. Luckily, I am old enough to be widely known as an eccentric w/o it seriously affecting my social life.

As to the dentist, if this were me it would mean I was sick to death of being a dentist. Maybe pushing through will cure that but so would early retirement and a move to Costa Rica. Of course, you'd still have to have the pain in order to justify yourself but it wouldn't likely be near as bad. Gotta love that mind/body stuff.
Go to Top of Page

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  14:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate all the time that everyone has put into helping me. I now have a better grasp of things. This morning I read a journal entry that I made the day before the pain started. I commented how stressed at work I was feeling, and how much I just wanted the stress to end. For about a month before the pain, I had a strong gut feeling that something "bad" was going to happen if I didn't stop the pace I was going at. Since I am relatively young, I ignored the feeling. Since then, I have someone working in my place, and fortunately I still have money to pay the bills. There still is work for me to do, but not nearly the amount that I was doing before the pain started.
I have decided that come Wednesday, I am going to work as if I never had the pain. I figure a week will be a sufficient amount of time to see if it is really TMS. I understand there is a short period when your body revs up the pain. If after a week the pain is still worse, maybe I am one of the exceptions to the rule and there really is something physically wrong.... Or does it sometimes takes longer than a week for our pain to start to get better?
By the way, I checked into Steve O's book-good stuff. Thanks for everything.
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  15:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let go of your time frame. Sometimes expectations of a quick outcome fuel TMS and the pain will continue.
Everyone is different. Relief can happen from just reading Sarno and sometimes it takes a while. Try not to be disappointed if your success takes some time.

Edited by - marsha on 12/31/2012 15:23:45
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  18:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JA9128 .. I just have a moment, but suggest you read through (Dr) Ace1's Keys to Healing for more insight ... easiest place to find it I think is here:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7664

RSR
Go to Top of Page

JA1928

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  05:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, if I stick to a timeframe that will probably work against me. Thanks for the link-I read the whole thread and ace1 has some good insights.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000