TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 advice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  14:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of you have given me great advice on my posts. However, for some reason, I just can't seem to get past joint pain I've been experiencing. If you have read any of my posts I have struggled with 7 months now with pain around various joints in my body. For some time it moved from joint to joint. I have been diagnosed with "tennis elbow" and now "runner's knee" or more specifically hypertrophy of the fat pad in the knee. My knee has been swollen because of it. Also now I have a swollen base of the big toe joint in my left foot. I also have bunions on the outside of the feet (Tailor's Bunions). Before I experienced swelling I saw a Rhuematologist (bc of the pain) who told me he didn't think I had any sort of Rhuematological disease and all the blood work was negative though I have read that a good percentage of RA doesn't show up in bloodwork. My major fear is that I will have RA and be disabled and twisted. I have major anxiety issues and lots of typical anxiety symptoms. The Dr. thought it was due to anxiety and poor sleep. *Enter my friend who also happens to be a Rhuem. Dr.* - she gave me her opinion - that I should continue to go see the Dr. and get blood work repeated - that RA can come on very slowly and I should "stay on top of it" - that in 6 months to a year (this was 6 months ago) I should keep going if still in pain.

Well, now I am still in pain - though I have seen it disappear then reappear - and now I have swelling. The swelling in the knee was decided by an orthopedic doctor to be "runners knee" from starting back to running too hard and too fast for not running for years. He said it did not look diseased, etc. He said its the IT band had too much strain on it and that my glutes weren't very strong which contributed. He said its a common injury from running hills.

The swelling is completely freaking me out. I know swelling can be TMS and lets just say that I DID injure my knee, because this can happen and I believe it did happen to me from running very steep hills and a few days later feeling very intense pain when squatting down - and also my big toe base joint which is swollen around the side - lets just say this is a bunion because I do have two bunions next to my pinky toes - well these are both logical explanations -

HOWEVER, I am thinking I need to return to the Rhuematologist. But part of me says not to because they will look till they find some diagnosis. I don't know what to do.

I fall into the 5% that Sarno describes of extremely traumatic childhoods - I can tell you exactly WHY I have TMS. Just not how to move past the fear.

My gut says stay away from the Drs. However, there IS swelling. And I also have a lot of pain in my right thumb (top joint) and the pointer finger in the right hand (top joint).

I just fear this stuff so much. And the more I read about TMS and the more I look through the posts here, the less "normal" I feel because I don't find things about joint pain. I find back pain, back pain, back pain. I've definitely had this, but the random joint thing is what scares me the most.

what would you do?

Edited by - jennypeanut on 10/25/2012 14:05:12

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  15:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said you were full of fear and you really believe you might have rhuemitoid arthritis-,,,,,you said youve seen it disapeer and re-apear-this movement indicates tms

your breaking two rules thats not supposed to be broken

Edited by - eric watson on 10/25/2012 15:31:10
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennypeanut,

I read your post and pulled out some clues that you gave and would like to comment:

“For some time it moved from joint to joint”.
This has to be real TMS, real pain does not move around.

“He didn't think I had any sort of Rhuematological disease”. Believe him or see him again. Your RA Dr.friend suggests this also.

You say you saw a RA doctor, and he has given you the all clear on many of your issues. How about seeing a TMS doctor. SteveO made reference to the power of a TMS Dr. firmly stamping the all clear firmly on your forehead in his book!

The doctor then said your knee did not look diseased. Then gave an explanation. Then said it’s a common injury from running hills. This is very good news.

Does your friend also know you suffer from anxiety? I think as a friend and Dr., she should know. Anxiety is horrible, I have only had it a few times badly, it’s deep, never ending, as you cycle from one worry to the next and back again. It’s fear on top of fear.

You have been told by others, even SteveO that this looks like TMS. I would like to add that it looks like your anxiety is not allowing you to believe what they say.

What would I do?

I read recently about Claire Weekes “Floating through Anxiety” and her “panic trick” and “anxiety tricks”. I wish I had read this when I needed it. Here is the link:

http://www.anxietycoach.com/claire-weekes.html

I’d print this out and read this over and over again. I’d vacuum pack it and take it with me when I run.

I hope this is more helpful than last time.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/25/2012 16:40:40
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jenny:
Have you been tested for Gout? The swollen big toe certainly sounds like it.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  05:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jenny,
I think I can help, but I'm reluctant to post on forum these days as advice/suggestions tend to get lost among innumerable other, often contrary responses. I'm not always right of course, but I've been at this a long time and have much experience with the kind of anxiety you suffer from. If want to contact me....art_vandy@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  11:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennypeanut,

One-on-one with Art. I’d go for that. I can’t admit to knowing too much about anxiety other that what I have written above.

Good luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/26/2012 11:29:35
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  18:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JP,

Remember that other site, the one about anxiety, where every day a person who was a lifer on the site would come up with a new problem or symptom? Often they would take ordinary things and blow them up into a deadly disease. This because they were not working on their anxiety problem. They would run from one doc to the next and all the time panic.

There are many people on this site that never quite match their symptoms with something on the board or within Dr. Sarno's literature. I never did. However, once you understand that chronic anxiety effects the same nerves, muscles and organs ALWAYS, it makes things easier to figure out.

As far as the pain coming and going, I will bet that the pain was at its least when you were optimistic and pre-occupied with life. Also, an episode of swelling can happen to anybody who is athletic.

Two weeks ago I apparently sprained my ankle, and did not realize it until a week later, when I had a chance to focus on the nagging pain in my shin. I was so busy I did not even realize it. My ankle was swollen and black and blue and there was a contusion at my heel line, blood red. Very colorful; beats plain old vanilla.

It's just me, but I would stay away from doctors unless you need to see one for some ongoing condition.

The more you think about it the more you think about it the more you think about it... Obsession as opposed to long ago trauma may be more a factor in keep the pain going.

Good luck!

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Edited by - Back2-It on 10/26/2012 18:09:13
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  20:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It

JP,
...Two weeks ago I apparently sprained my ankle, and did not realize it until a week later, when I had a chance to focus on the nagging pain in my shin. I was so busy I did not even realize it. My ankle was swollen and black and blue and there was a contusion at my heel line, blood red. Very colorful; beats plain old vanilla.

...It's just me, but I would stay away from doctors unless you need to see one for some ongoing condition.

GOOD POST to JP B2I! Great TMS wisdom advice. I especially like the painless sprained ankle--the other side of the TMS coin. I don't really have anything new to add for JP that I haven't I'm sure told her before, probably like rob a bank and drive the 40 minutes to the nearest TMS practitioner and throw the three kids in the trunk or hire a baby-sitter (or maybe that was to somebody else here) I've been confused lately my mind distracted by thinking about the the world monetary system.

What strikes me is your "friend" the rheumy doc loading your TMS reservoir to overflowing that you will get RA. That it could strike you down at anytime and turn all your joints inside out. RA is a totally different animal from OA. You could also be hit by a meteor at anytime too. Is she really a "friend" if she's fueling your fears most likely unfoundedly? She is in direct conflict with the other rheumatologist, who sounds like he knows what he is talking about and telling you it's stress--therefore TMS. There's a major conflict between two docs who specialize in the same disease--one is wrong and you are suffering for it.

G'luck and I don't have any new advice for you I haven't already written so re-read my old posts to you if you care to.

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  22:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jenny Peanut,

I have just reread this thread, and your email. I missed something that you had said, which was your RA pains were moving around. You also mentioned “Jumping around” in your email.

I am not an expert but this is classic TMS in my opinion, it happened to me once with my Sciatica pain, actually moved from one side to the other. It was so subtle that I hardly noticed the change.

This is what I wrote with humor once in another thread: “Now I’m being Silly”. Perhaps this wasn’t so silly after all, I wrote it as a newbie TMSr.

11. Teasingly Moving Syndrome
TMS pain is outwardly mobile. It can move around your body in a whim. Or like a hobo, if it is comfortable where it is it may stay in one place forever, provided it has enough "nourishment".

Now the next time you have a new pain or worry whether its stomach ache or neck crick, think about the above silly or non-silly statement.

Don’t worry about it; TMS can be a moving target!

Good Luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000