TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Repeating the keys to healing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  18:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big improvement!!!!!

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/13/2013 07:31:08
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia

199 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  06:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, what are you a Doctor of? What state do you live?
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  12:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1, very short hi as I have too much on my mind/plate these days, but just wanted to say again how much I appreciate your support and help and encouragement and the updating of your "keys". -RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  13:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks RSR,
When you have some time, let us know how your doing.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  13:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for asking, Ace1. I've been very stressed still (thought the situation would have been resolved by now, but it's dragged out another month or so)... and I have been having a HUGE flare-up of headaches the last 2 or 3 weeks. Resorted to lots of meds, haven't been thinking clearly, etc ... BUT ! HA! This morning, I woke up with yet another bad headache and was prepared to take meds ... but this time I started "talking to my brain" and a few minutes later, the headache was actually GONE. ! It just ... stopped. And then an hour or so later, it started coming back, and so I "talked to my brain" AGAIN! And then it stopped again ! And here it is about 5 hours later, and it hasn't come back! And so I am at the moment. -RSR
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  13:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RageSootheRatio

Thanks for asking, Ace1. I've been very stressed still (thought the situation would have been resolved by now, but it's dragged out another month or so)... and I have been having a HUGE flare-up of headaches the last 2 or 3 weeks. Resorted to lots of meds, haven't been thinking clearly, etc ... BUT ! HA! This morning, I woke up with yet another bad headache and was prepared to take meds ... but this time I started "talking to my brain" and a few minutes later, the headache was actually GONE. ! It just ... stopped. And then an hour or so later, it started coming back, and so I "talked to my brain" AGAIN! And then it stopped again ! And here it is about 5 hours later, and it hasn't come back! And so I am at the moment. -RSR

Wow and wow.

Great work. Would love to hear the language you used on your brain.
Go to Top of Page

lmcox

24 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  14:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic. Thank you so much. I have printed this and will start using it right away.

http://loriculwell.com
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  05:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving this to the top as the thread is important.
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  15:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ace for all your doing at tms help
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome!
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  08:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, about the "language I used on my brain" when I was able to abort the headache(s) ... hmm... was probably something like, Oh PUHlLLEASE! For heaven's sake, could you please stop already? I get it. I KNOW I'm stressed, I'm KNOW I'm enraged, you don't need to distract me. I'm onto you. I get it. I don't need you. I don't want another headache. I know things are bad, but I'm doing what I can..."

Only took a short time ... a minute maybe? (as long as it would take to say the above). AND it did WAY MORE than any "trying to relax" that I had been doing in the previous weeks! After a couple of days of this (headache coming on, my talking to my brain to abort it), now I've been better again, so I think the "flare-up" has now ended ... at least for the time being.

I DO think of it more as "discrete symptomatic relief" however ... (and certainly nothing to sneeze at!) but in order for the symptoms not just to travel around etc, I don't think it's enough for the long term and for the higher quality of life I am now aspiring to! But extremely helpful along the journey ...

hope that helps you or someone,
RSR
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  08:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we're going through the "keys to healing" ("Ace of the Day") one at a time on the board (GREAT idea Plum!) but I wanted to flag #21 and #22 just now, because I think I didn't really understand them myself until yesterday .... I woke up with a headache (first time in 8 days, but I wasn't worried about it. ) Used "talking to my brain" which didn't work. Tried quite a few times but it didn't help, so took some meds because I had to go out. Headache progressively got worse while I was out, so took some more meds because I was hosting a party in the afternoon. Got worse and worse and WORSE... full-blown migraine. Despite TALKING to my brain, using affirmations most of that time. Had to actually LEAVE the party mid-way through and rest quietly in a dark room. COMPLETELY debilitated.

I had realized several days earlier that I was getting more stressed. But, per #21 I did TRY to resolve my strain.

quote:
21. When an event that bothers you happens, if you don't try to resolve it (bring the tension level/hyped up mode down first before carrying on), this will lead to symptoms. I think this is what is meant by repression. The tension level is allowed to go wild, and is ignored without attempts to resolve it in one's own mind, without calming down about it, or without reconditioning one's self.

TRYING was NOT enough, though. I think PART of the problem (?) was that I thought TRYING would be enough, and also, I had gotten overconfident, I think (?) and SHOULD have been following #22:

quote:
It's ok to be easy on yourself and on the symptomatic body part when the tension level is very high. Don’t feel you have something to prove or that you have let it beat you. Bring the tension level down first then you will see that your symptoms have subsided enough for you to function.

I was following #2:

quote:
2. Try to just act as normal but at ease (not fear) as much possible with the least concern to your symptoms that you can.

And so I was totally NOT expecting a full-blown migraine .. and it's also been more than a year (?) since I've had one plus I was able to do a LOT more things the previous weekend (which both surprised and pleased me) and so I think that also contributed to my overconfidence ...

I am also understanding #18 better:

quote:
18. Anything that is annoying to you is a source of symptoms, so try not to let whatever it is become annoying to you, just accept it. Be aware that after having symptoms for sometime even tasks of daily living become annoying.

As I think much of my strain contributing to this attack was a series of minor annoyances (however "just accepting them" which I tried to do) ALSO was not enough. I have definitely seen that "even tasks of daily living" can be annoying to me !

I wonder if I WAS "challenging" my symptoms, rather than "just acting as normal" and "being active" which is what I thought I was doing (ie #12:)

quote:
12. Be active if possible (not for overcoming your illness, but to be comfortable with your body) and do things you were afraid to do gradually, not to challenge, but just to do them. (I.e. if I play soccer and there is back pain, I will not think of using my back more or strain with it more to get it "used" to activity. I would just play soccer, and if in pain, just accept it and use affirmations if necessary).

... the physical changes in a migraine are definitely REAL, yet I do seem mine as brought on by mental strains.. . Talking to my brain, affirmations in the moment were not enough ... and so I had gone way WAY too far ... but it didn't seem so at the time, only in retrospect.

hmmmmm ... Not really sure what to do "next time" ? except it seems that I must truly RESOLVE "annoyances" in order for them not to produce symptoms and I must be especially careful when my symptoms start to escalate (?? )

RSR

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  09:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rsr reread #13 on the list. The affirmations used at the time of symptoms reconditions your brain to the situation for the future, not for the moment. Affirmations have three functions in which they help: 1. Help you recognize your strain better. 2. Decrease the frequency of the strain. 3. Help you be able to reverse the effects strain that has already occured easier. Your doing a good job and you will start to see more and more with time. Btw, if you just tell your brain to stop and not use methods of relaxation I don't think it helps that well in long run. I think the way it may work is that it breaks up the the intense train of thought or urge that was there before the symptoms began. (Ie your trying to get to work so intensely and in such a rush, you get a symptom, you stop and think about telling your brain off, so now the initial intense thought of going to work is not on your mind anymore.).
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  11:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting rsr. There were several old posts (can't find them now) that highlighted the relationship between migraines and the avoidance of social interaction.
It is fascinating that you having a migraine coincided with having to host a party, and I assume being the center of attention.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  09:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much, Ace1 ! I really appreciate your support. I know you must have a very busy life: busy practice, busy family, etc, and for you to take the time to help people you don't even know with your insights and generosity is ... well, it just warms my heart and has encouraged me a great deal, just to keep at this, despite setbacks. Thanks again.

I have *definitely* started becoming more aware that I have infused every task in my life with strain, as you mention. At the same time, this last "migraine" ... now that it's some days later and I am still having (gastro) symptoms, I am wondering actually if it was really the flu. Nonetheless, I am trying to take it all in stride and trying to reduce my chronic mental strain...
BTW, it was very helpful for me that you explained more about the functions of using the affirmations. thanks for that.

ALIX: Thanks for your thoughts on this ! I can look back on the memorable migraines of the last # of years and noticed that yes, they were all related to intense social situations ... HMMM !!! Not sure how to use that information going forward, but will know that is when I have special vulnerabilities I need to take better care of ...

RSR

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 01/31/2013 09:04:17
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  11:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was here. Great thread on headaches and the avoidance of social interaction:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4102
Go to Top of Page

PJ77

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  07:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ace1,

Please could you advise when in severe lower back spasms what should one do?
2 weeks ago I bent and it went spasm (again for the millionth time). Took 5 days for it to ease of. This week went to lift a light object of a chair and bent and bang into spasm again. Not been unable to move for the past 2 days. This is continuous week after week, what should one do when in this situation? No wonder a lot of people then avoid to bend as because if it going to take days to recover then why not just don't do it in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  07:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PJ77, Remember that I say dont challenge the pain. In other words, if you feel like bending is going to hurt you, but you have to pick something up, you do it slowly, gradually and at ease as not to frighten yourself (not with force). The treatment here on these keys are to prevent the attacks in the future, not in the moment. Remember I said that having a symptom or a fear of a symptom is a sign. If you feel like bending is going to hurt you that means you are on edge (mental excitement), whether or not your aware, and you will have to bask in that feeling of being on edge and use your affirmations, while trying to be at ease (forcing yourself to be at ease will simply not work). Once your unease lets up you will have no feeling that bending will hurt and you would probably do it without thinking about it. This takes a LOT of practice and time to get a good hang of it.

Edited by - Ace1 on 02/19/2013 08:10:18
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  07:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The unease a lot of time related to an urge to be faster or somewhere else than you are right now.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  08:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think in situations like this -- the acute attack -- that the negative mind chatter becomes really loud. It says, "Oh no, here it comes again, I am never going to get well, I am going to be disabled, there is something wrong with my back (or other body part) which they have yet to discover and my life is totally ruined." You all know the chatter unique to you, and we all have gone through it. These are negative affirmations which come into our minds without us even inviting them in.

As was stated in previous posts, almost every involuntary thought which comes into our heads are false and can be countered with a positive affirmation unique to the situation. TMS can itself be seen as a false affirmation in that it is telling us that there is something structurally wrong with our bodies when in fact this is untrue.

As ACE stated, these affirmations and working on being at ease will not reduce the symptoms in the moment, but will work towards preventing the attacks in the future as one becomes more and more at ease. Read especially keys # 4, 5 and 13 by way of clarification.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/19/2013 08:18:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000