TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Repeating the keys to healing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  10:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have many of the same qualities as Shawn and have had some of the same feeling of lack of authenticity when I have tried affirmations, EFT, meditations on forgiveness, etc. So does this mean if I am ever to be successful, I ultimately have to fundamentally change who I am? For example, I cannot imagine that short of a lethal dose of valium I could ever not be angry/bitter about certain events affecting my oldest child, or how others have treated him.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  11:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I see the book is online here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32594788/Mind-Power-in-to-the-21st-Century

His youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnKehoeMindPower

Edited by - shawnsmith on 03/06/2013 06:44:59
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  11:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Shawn, how amazing that your able to find it for free on line. I told you you were intelligent.
Pspa, it's not really changing your personality but breaking bad habits, that's why it takes a long time in people like ourselves. You will also come to see that your anger is like you drinking poison and expecting the bad people to die bc of it. It doesn't work that way, the poison only kills you, so you learn that you have to change the bad habit of getting angry when things go wrong. You learn to forgive. Now just trying to be forgiving , patient etc, while important, is like going against a strong current if your still affirming negative things and without using the positive affirmations, that's why I have listed what I have listed. I'm also not trying to portray that you have to live in la la land bc it is important to see ourselves becoming upset or impatient first in order to take action. (Read #1 on my list). It's kind of like seeing the bad habitual reaction seeing that its like poision then stopping ourselves from adding more fuel to the fire, trying to calm down and use the affirmations to reprogram our reaction to the situation.

Edited by - Ace1 on 01/06/2013 11:23:14
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  11:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also ordered a hard copy as the online version does not allow you to print it out. I got some gift cards for Christmas so I can use them for ordering books.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  04:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"One has to confront TMS, fight it, or the symptoms will continue. Losing one's fear and resuming normal physical activity is possibly the most important part of the therapeutic process." -- Healing Back Pain page 81

Edited by - shawnsmith on 01/07/2013 04:51:01
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  09:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi shawn, In my case that fight of the symptoms kept me stuck. I think he does state to resume all activty AFTER the pain is gone or almost gone. In the example of the attorney, he was completely free of pain for almost a year and he was just afrain to run. In many severe cases of TMS, it takes a long time to get pain free first, so they start to challenge their pain bc they are impatient and either they make no headway or shift their symptoms to something else, sometimes internal. Also in many their major conflict was fear that they had something wrong with them, and when they overcome this they heal. Now I dont believe you think that you have anything wrong with you physically, I know you accept it 100% and have not healed. Im sure you have confronted your symtpoms a million times and never really had them go away because of it. (I know bc I did this). I also noted that when I was better, it was never bc I challenged myself. Arlene once told me you can never beat the pain by challenging it. One tip Shawn is never take anyones work or words as concrete (i fell in that trap myself), put it to the test and see.

Edited by - Ace1 on 01/08/2013 08:58:42
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  10:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SteveO in his book explains in great detail how he had to challenge the pain while resuming activity even though he was in agony. His description of what he did is quite fascinating. Fred Amir wrote the same thing in his book, how he had to confront the pain with movement. Personally, if I waited for the pain to go away completely before moving then I would not even get out of bed.

As for Arlene, I trust Dr. Sarno more and when he says resume all normal activity I believe him and not Arlene. Sorry.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 01/07/2013 10:11:50
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  10:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Shawn, Im not sayig for you not to do normal things, you have to despite the pain. Im saying dont specifically challenge it. Like try to do something more and more toward the pain hoping that you will win because of the challenge. Remember Dr Sarno specifically says when the pain is gone or almost gone, so I dont think Arlene is saying anything really that different. Actually Steve said (and he can correct me if Im wrong) in his posts here that he doesnt know but he might have gotten better faster if he hadnt callenged his pain. He was trying to just document what he went through. Just think of this say you had an ulcer which is an equivalant, how would you challenge it if challenging it is an important part of recovery? Same with allegeries, headaches etc.. Im not asking you to believe me, put what I am saying to the test and see if it is accurate. Fred Amir got better fast, but once again, Im not quite sure it was the challenge. Look at MatthewNJ post he had severe TMS including blood clots and he recovered mainly by changing his reaactions to things. Good luck

Edited by - Ace1 on 01/07/2013 11:08:54
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  16:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are times when the pain becomes more intense than at other times. It is not always apparent why this is so, as it all takes place seemingly out of the blue with no rational explanation. One moment you feel fine and the next moment you are experience intense pain or other distressing symptoms. This is the nature of TMS. The unconscious mind is always trying to throw you off or trick you as it wants you to keep focused on your body. During these times it is essential that you not freak out and try as best as possible to act normal and go about what you are doing in life. I know it is difficult, trust me on that one, but keeping calm, resuming normal activity and telling yourself that everything is ok is essential. Breathe into what you are physically feeling, no matter how distressing the symptoms may be, and try not to resist or strain as you will work yourself up and undermine your recovery.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  17:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn where is this quote from? I like it. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  09:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Shawn where is this quote from? I like it. Thanks

LOL -- it is not a quote, they are my own words.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  09:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  08:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1 tries to keep this list up on top of the message board and with this posting I too am moving it up.

I have printed this list out several days ago and I'm reading it at least twice a day. At first the items on the list may not make any sense and you may not be able to relate it back to your situation, but keep pondering over the words and their implications.

Much of the message in this list centers around how we react to situations we encounter in daily life and the necessity of approaching these situations in a new way by self-talk and behavioral modification.

An acute self-awareness is essential, as well as an awareness of how personality traits contribute to out inner tension.

For example, currently I am becoming aware of the necessity of avoiding contradicting others and coming off as a know-it-all. This means beating back my ego, even when I feel in my heart that I am correct. Allowing the ego to take over and lash out, and thereby alienating people, does not serve me well and actually contributes to inner rage and tension. Yes, I recognize the anger rising inside of me, but I don't have to react to it by lashing out. Calming myself down by self-talk seems to be the better path to take even when I am certain I am right and the other person is dead wrong. Why, I may ask myself, do I insist on being right in the first place? What is it that is inside of me that causes me to behave in such a manner? Is it low self esteem? The desire to be recognized by others and an "expert?" The questions are endless, but regardless of the answer I have to work on this part of my personality.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 01/13/2013 10:56:57
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia

199 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  09:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugs and kisses from me to you Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  09:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Shawn. I'm routing for you.
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia

199 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  09:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I have chosen to follow YOUR way that you outlined in your Keys to Healing. Why? It is a couple pages only to read, again and again, and apply. Your key words STRAIN vs EASE very much garners my attention. Symptoms or symptomless I want to live in EASE whatever the circumstance. And maybe you do find Eckhart Tolle as useful in the STRAIN vs EASE. So I'm even gonna get a few of his cd's and books from the library. I already know his books and tapes from a long time ago. I regard him as a lesser spiritual teacher, which I will put others new age and Michael Brown of the Presence Process, even my very good imaginary friend Alan Watts. So if I can abide with Eckart's info I shall. Otherwise I don't think he is essential as far as EASE. Zen, as Alan Watts and Suzuki as teachers is to me more accessable. It is putting what I know/read/understand into the context/structure as you have outlined in the Keys 2 Healing. Your affirmations, all of it is a good package to me.

So now I can get away from all TMS books and revel in spiritual books ; )

ps, your keys are also not that far away from Ashok Gupta's program. If you like, for your self-interest and also to review it here, I can send you the program I have, as long as you promise to return it to me. I still want to sell it some day!

pps, I also added my oft used affirmation in Claire Weekes voice, Utta, Utta, Acceptance

Edited by - Sylvia on 01/13/2013 10:20:31
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  10:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvia

Hugs and kisses from me to you Shawn

Always happy to get a hug and a kiss, so thanks!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  11:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvia

And maybe you do find Eckhart Tolle as useful in the STRAIN vs EASE. So I'm even gonna get a few of his cd's and books from the library.

What I do is pick out the meat and throw away the bones. His book "A New Earth" was amazing even if I don't agree with his "theology." But, as with any spiritual teacher or deep thinker, there is always something good to be found if we are looking for it.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  16:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sylvia, thanks for your offer to guptas program, I will decline however. You can tell me however how is it different than what I've said, and what you think of it. You can also tell me why you think it hasn't help you up to now. This will help me without having to listen to it myself.

As for tolle, I don't believe in his spiritual teachings. I just think he explains how to be at ease very well with his book the power of now. I'm listening to a new earth now, but so far I don't think it's as good as the power of now. Just like Shawn, you take the good things out of it and get rid of the nonsense.

I tried my best to put all that is needed to recover in these keys to healing. Your time is best used in practicing what is said instead of reading more books. You don't want to overwhelm yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  17:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just updated this again, seems that some of the number references were a little off from recent revisions. Hopefully I have covered it all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000