TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Repeating the keys to healing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  07:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with you 100%. the past three days ive had the feeling like i was going to die, deep seated fear in my chest and had some crying spells. i dont want to put a time limit on how long this is going to last i just need help
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  07:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the other thing is i always thought once i faced the fear and anxiety head on without retreating that the pain would go away, since the pain is supposed to be a substitute for the anxiety, but im feeling both right now and they are feeding off eachother
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  15:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would reading your keys each day be a form of reassurance?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  16:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, but your doing it everyday to understand I better after you have practiced for the day, you will be able to connect the dots.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  15:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep modifying this list to make it clearer and better. I sometimes forget that I must spell everything out to help the most people. I know some may get frustrated that they have to read the new modification, but just take it as an opportunity to read it again and again to get the maximum benefit. I think the more you read it, the more you understand it.
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  10:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ace you said not to be impatient, it takes a long time for this to work, you said after 3 months look back and see if there is a slight difference and if there is you're doing it right. what would i be looking for as a slight difference? ive been at the affirmations for about a month now consistently each day, im trying not to calendar watch, i just a goals app to make sure im doing it each day otherwise i find it harder to stick to things.

i know its a long process and i think im beginning to understand more why your affirmations are working towards mental relaxation versus focusing on the specific symptom. the symptom is just the symptom of anxiety and stress, not the actual cause.. so the affirmations are to address the underlying anxiety and stress that are causing the symptom in the first place right? yeah on my goals app it says ive been doing it for about a month. what i do is wake up in the morning, say the "i am calm relaxed patient and confident" affirmation in my head for 5 minutes maybe more, then throughout the day when im in a stressful circumstance, or my eyes are hurting, i just repeat the affirmation over, and over, and over, and over again. i chant it in my head and part of it is also to just stop my mind from focusing on negative thoughts and the pain. then before bed i do the same thing of saying the affirmation over and over in my head.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I've come to realize is that even affirmations (or deep breathing or *trying* to relax etc) can be done in a strained way.

One thing I think I heard Dr Claire Weekes say on her audios, is that she thought it would take 2 months of desensitization for one to start noticing a reduction in symptoms. Having that expectation has helped me to relax a little more. I had "instantaneous" results early in my TMS work when I first found Dr Sarno's book(s), so I think I have expected that ever since, which added to my frustration when it didn't occur (now that I am trying to get to a higher level of well-being.)

Also, I think I am becoming more aware of the "protective" function of mind-body symptoms. I don't know that my body symptoms ARE actually worse than dealing w/ the psychological trauma.

~RSR

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 09/11/2013 15:01:40
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  15:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes dg your doing it right but in addition make sure your trying to see that you are strained and possibility why. A common answer to your question of why will be that you are trying to be in a rush to get whatever your doing now "over with" or go to the next thing. This can be such an engrained habit that is very hard to see at first but practice slowing your mind down and use you affirmations to help you do that when your using them as needed. Practice doing things slower and not going with your urge to be fast, sit in this discomfort. Try the new visualization of picturing yourself I listed on my keys when you get in a rushed mode. It really does also help break that intense rushed train of thought and brings value somehow to the present moment. This is not the same a mindfulness meditation where you recognize every task as you do it. This is a visualization or a picture clip of YOURSELF in your mind doing what your doing now. It is much more effective than mindful meditation in my opinion. I discovered this by accident. Try it, but you might need to get the hang of it. After this visualization you can even tell you mind that you will feel joy , again a type of affirmation this might add to your relaxation. Remember dont challenge your symptoms. Remember your goal of relaxation as you use your mind power techniques. Like rsr said it is possible to use the mind power techniques in a strained or wrong fashion that does not contribute to the goal.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/11/2013 15:45:29
Go to Top of Page

dgreen97

122 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace and RSR,

I dont feel that Im in a rush mode. I've deliberately stopped that act a while ago because I noticed I was doing it. Im just in a very anxious mode right now, have a lot of trouble not focusing on my symptoms and worrying about them. I know you mentioned that you were always in a rush to do things Ace but I think I've overcome that aspect. The part Im dealing with right now is being very anxious and having 80-85% of my thoughts throughout the day focusing on my eyes. Ever since I started doing deep relaxation twice a day 2 months ago, after about the 1 month mark I started getting other anxiety symptoms such as stomach churning and heart drop. I dont know if this directly relates to doing deep relaxation or not but at first I thought it was me not seeking reassurance anymore.

Can I use these affirmations to focus on the anxiety and deliberately use them to distract away from my thoughts about my eyes? I dont feel that I have a problem of being in a rush mode anymore (I used to) because if I catch myself rushing in doing something, I deliberately slow down and take it easy in the task.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this may sound crazy to you, but I think you are not really aware of this aspect even though you think you had this problem fixed. The anxiety a lot of times is in direct relation to the feeling of being on edge until you get the next thing done. You have just lost meaning to the feeling. Just keep practicing and with time you will see what I mean. You will first see glimpses of ths then it will be obvious. Try the technique I told you about visualizing yourself and see if the anxious feeling disappears. I think is just takes the urge of what your about to do next off because you are putting the attention on yourself as a whole instead of what your about to do.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  18:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dgreen,

quote:

Can I use these affirmations to focus on the anxiety and deliberately use them to distract away from my thoughts about my eyes?

(Usual disclaimer: not cured yet, myself !) But I would say, oh absolutely, try it and see ! See what works for you. If there is no rush and your symptoms are not dangerous (ie TMS), then there is time to explore and really see what helps. Helps YOU. Triggers your OWN relaxation response vs your anxiety response.

If you are feeling very afraid these days, and thinking about your eyes 80-85% of the time, then it sounds like you might be in a "fear-loop" and whatever will give you some relief from that would probably be helpful...

One thing I noticed last week, was that when I was VERY upset about something, it was several days later that I realized I don't recall having any (TMS) symptoms during that time! That seemed just more proof that my own symptoms are nothing to worry about. Another thing I've noticed is that the more I *think* about and focus on my symptoms, they really do seem to ramp up.

I'm not sure if you had said you had tried Claire Weekes or not, but I often return to her audios when I go through a bad patch, and find her advice and attitude very reassuring.

Also ... I am reminded of Ace's #3: Worrying about or preoccupation with the symptoms (challenging, constantly evaluating them, reacting to them, or trying to make them better) makes you lose your ability to see that you're emotionally uncomfortable. Just use them as a sign that something’s not right emotionally.

Hope something in this might be helpfu!

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  14:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for this ace. I printed and i'm realing it daily :)]
Go to Top of Page

stocktrader

30 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  12:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ace,

How does the ANS affects your esophagus which results to GERD. Do you use your listed affirmations/visualizations prior to eating to decondition certain foods?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  05:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, this is all speculation, but it may be due to a decreased blood supply to the lower esophagus which makes it dysfunctional and dilate, with possibly a reactive constriction of the stomach causing the acid to rise in the esophagus. You just try to see why and how your strained prior to eating and try to reach a deeper level of relaxation, you probably eat too fast. So use an affirmation to make yourself patient through this process and try not to let the symptom bother you too much. Also don't strain more into the symptom.

Edited by - Ace1 on 09/21/2013 05:34:39
Go to Top of Page

stocktrader

30 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  15:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ace, when doing affirmations around sleep, do you mean when you are in bed before falling asleep and in the morning once you wake up while in bed before getting up?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  16:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes exactly
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  06:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this was such an important post from Ace1 (from another thread) that I wanted to repost it here, for future reference related to his "keys":

quote:

Even though the treatment of tms makes our bodies healthy, it does not prevent you from grieving or encountering hardships in life. The secret to preventing the hardships of life from turning into disease in the body is total acceptance of whatever situation arises. Believe it or not sometimes the acceptance allows for change. The acceptance I discuss here is not a logical acceptance but one where the body doesn't strain to the situation. Another not so obvious point is too much excitement even about a good life event can shoot your nerves as well and cause disease. What I have just said is not easy and takes a lot of practice. I'm still practicing myself. Somehow this faith does help turn the situation around in the long run.

So he is saying:

Acceptance = the body not straining in regards to a situation

not necessarily a "logical" /THINKING LEVEL kind of acceptance, but one where OUR BODY can feel at peace w/ a situation.

thanks, Ace1!

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  18:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes exactly. Thank you for bring this point to light.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  23:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recognize this from my post yesterday, and yes I do read this thread from time to time. True words indeed Ace, this comment reminds me somewhat of uppers and downers that people get caught up in going from one extreme to the other. Our rushing is not allowing the acceptance. Thanks

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  19:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just want to bring this back on top. This I think should be a new year resolution for all tmser's.

Happy New Year to all.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000