TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Wow! TMS with an emergency room!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  22:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a new one for ya. My wife had just taken a nap, got up, was dizzy and almost fell. I asked her if she was ok. She said no and to take her to the hospital. She was gibberish of mouth, very pale. She never complains and isn't an alarmist. She was in the hospital for 2 days, took all the tests and all came out fine including an MRI of the brain. Final analysis,-- TIA possibility activated be stress. Thought she was goner. Glad she's still around. She would have been a great lost to me. It's been almost a week since her dismissal from the hospital. She was slow at first and slept a lot. Today she is almost normal and will be within a day or 2. Makes one a believer that our mind can dominate our body. Thanks for listening.

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  11:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im glad every thing turned out alright-that is scary-but we do have power to affirm -meditate-and so forth -im sure you already do the best you can -im, just glad the mrs is ok-this is a subject i have never heard before-this topic should be discussed by the veterans-i hope you have a great weekend and god bless
Go to Top of Page

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  17:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God Bless and also I wish you a fine weekend. I'm in Calif and our's is a hot weekend, but we'll make it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  19:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MichaelB,

Glad your wife is OK. My dad had a couple of these and came out OK. IMHO, an important aspect of this is how your wife and you handle returning to "normalcy", regaining any lost confidence and not letting the episode create fear of doing. I think TIA's are like the TMS of the stroke world. Doc's call TIA's mini strokes. When my dad had his I was in his hospital room when a stroke therapist came in to DX any damage. She couldn't find anything substantive and came up with that his eye area seemed "droopy". I couldn't see it and felt she was fishing for something structural. It's hard to charge $25,000 and up and just say you had a fainting spell.

G'luck
Go to Top of Page

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  11:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. My 15 year old daughter had a similar spell this last Monday. She was as white as a sheet, 'gibberish of mouth' as you call it, telling me she couldn't hear and then almost fell. I took her to the ER but they didn't do any head scans because she'd complained of an intense pain in her abdomen (which disappeared at the hospital) so they thought she had nearly passed out from the pain and that the cognitive abnormalities were just a result of temporary lack of oxygen to the brain (being shocky). All that day and the next she was extremely tired and lethargic - could barely lift her arm above her head, so I took her to her regular doc who tested her for mono (negative) and then told us to go home. She suspects it was a viral infection. It wasn't. My daughter didn't have a fever, runny nose, cough, sore throat, or anything of the like.

Interestingly, my daughter just entered therapy the week before to help her deal with some eating issues (which are of course emotional issues) amongst others and after her first therapy session, she told me how hard it was for her to bring up her emotions and she wasn't sure she could do it, it was so uncomfortable. And then bam, this 'medical' thing happened. I suspected TMS (she certainly has all the Type T attributes and comes by it honestly) but my mind couldn't wrap itself around something that extreme being just TMS. Now reading this and thinking more deeply about the therapy connection, I'm starting to believe that's exactly what it was.

How on earth does one get a 15 year old to accept something like TMS theory when she can't even look honestly at many of the issues she's dealing with (overeating, losing friendships etc.)? She is in full denial about a lot of things, such as her weight and how she got to that weight, so how can I help guide her to thinking psychologically? I did speak to my daughter's therapist about what was happening with her as my daughter had to miss an appointment (light bulb going on) and she asked if we thought it could be emotionally induced so it's good the therapist is on board with that line of thinking.

Have any of you had to help a young family member come to terms with having TMS? If so, how did you handle it?

pain is inevitable, suffering optional
Go to Top of Page

Bugbear

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  14:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to hijack MichaelB's thread which is very interesting. However in answer to your question, Yogaluz, I have a 20 yr old daughter with various physical and mental health complaints who refuses to see a therapist because she doesn't want to talk about her emotions. She would rather repress them. I took her to a homeopath recently to see if I could get her to at least accept the connections between her emotions and her illnesses. Perhaps this needs another thread.

Anyway, MichaelB, how is your wife doing? Do you feel she has the type T personality? How open is she to the idea of the mind body syndrome? I can imagine if something like that happened to me I would be fearing another funny turn. As we all know here, fear is our worst enemy.
Go to Top of Page

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  17:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, I did sort of hijack this thread. Sorry Michael. I'll start a new post.

pain is inevitable, suffering optional
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  16:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

MichaelB don't keep us all in suspenders, how is your wife doing?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  00:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I was away from the forum. Didn't think anyone would be so interested. Thank you for your concern, even all the way from England. A thousand thank yous. My wife is almost back to normal,--about 95%. My wife is beaming interested in Mind Body since this also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000