TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Musicians and injuries; Van Halen hand surgery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piano5

29 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  10:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the forums and without going into too much detail about my TMS story, (which I'll do in a separate thread) I'll let you know that I'm a musician who had to give up guitar for 2 years because of "tendonitis". Well, Sarno's books helped me immensely and I am playing at around 90% The next 10% is a matter TRULY understanding and accepting that there's nothing wrong, and breaking my conditioned responses.

ANYWAYS, a big question on my mind about TMS is about overuse/RSI injuries. I know full well that the human body is not fragile and that we have built up a musculo-skeletal system for just this reason. BUT: To think that we can't damage ourselves is downright silly. If someone who was 300 pounds was forced to run a marathon without stopping, you can be sure they'd injure themselves in some way.

So the question is, when have we damaged ourselves, (ie structural abnormality or overuse) and when is it TMS? Let's face it: Max Weinberg went through several surgeries, and he's been playing with Srpingsteen and Conan O'Brien for years! I suppose we'll see how Eddie Van Halen turns out:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/07/23/exclusive-eddie-van-halen-recovering-after-hand-surgery/

This is not a post of skepticism, but a simple question of knowing the difference. I know there is evidence out there supports that surgery is not always the best option... but what about when it is?

I'm interested to hear people's views on the fuzzy area between anatomy and mind-body disorders.

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  12:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cyst and twisted tendon are throwing me.
The tingling in the thumb and baby finger sound like the TMS I get in my wrist when I'm stressed out.
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  15:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Piano,

I love your question, and would love to hear the answer.

It hasn't been mentioned here for a while, but the wiki has a section where people can ask questions of some of the best known TMS doctors and therapists. We call it "Q&A with an expert." I'd love to see what the experts have to say about that question. I was diagnosed with "RSI" for years, and this question is really interesting to me.

Incidentally, I had originally set up that section of the wiki, but I got behind in sending answers out to the experts. Peg (for this board) really thinks that the ability to ask experts questions like that is very important (as do I) and kindly offered to take over the management of the section. She has done an absolutely terrific job, so people may want to take another look at the section.

I'll contact Peg and most likely either she or I will get back to you with a response from a doctor.

Forest
tmswiki.org

Edited by - forestfortrees on 07/30/2009 15:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Piano3

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  15:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I'm glad it was a question on other people's minds as well. It's interesting to think about our friends, neighbors, family that have had surgery and got better... Were they really hurt? Was it a placebo? Who knows. It's a question that isn't addressed in Sarno's work. He almost completely rejects the prospect of surgery, but let's face it, surgery is an option for a reason.
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  15:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Piano3

Great! I'm glad it was a question on other people's minds as well. It's interesting to think about our friends, neighbors, family that have had surgery and got better... Were they really hurt? Was it a placebo? Who knows. It's a question that isn't addressed in Sarno's work. He almost completely rejects the prospect of surgery, but let's face it, surgery is an option for a reason.

Well, I think that most TMS docs including Dr. Sarno would say that good treatment starts with a correct diagnosis. I be that they would also agree that surgery can be helpful if there is a structural abnormality for it to correct. The tough thing is getting that correct diagnosis.

Forest
tmswiki.org
Go to Top of Page

celloLWF

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  13:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, I'm a musician and your completely wrong. There's really no way you can injure yourself from playing. I do all sorts of "bad" things now (post tendonitis) and I have no problems.

That remaining 10% of fear your talking about? Sounds like it's still controlling your behavior.

You'll be fine.
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  17:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Piano 5,
Excellent question in this thread. One of our TMS experts has responded and I have posted it here:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5828

Best,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  17:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry--It can also be found here on the TMS wiki, along with other great questions:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Q%26A%3A+How+do+I+tell+the+difference+between+an+injury+(or+overuse)+and++TMS%3F

Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000