TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Positive Self Talk - Time to get your life back!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PRCalDude

49 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  11:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Webdan65

PRCalDude:

No - on the scale of 1-10 regarding pain - I'm at a 0.25 and consider myself cured. A twinge here or there which I quickly eliminate is quite tolerable after last years chronic bout of 9 out of 10 pain. :-)

However, the book I'm reading isn't necessarily about pain. It's about using your imagination to achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Being a self help junkie - I like this kind of stuff and often find ways that one experts thoughts can apply to TMS. When I read njoys post, I thought that the imagination and "theater of the mind technique" might be useful in helping njoy get past her nightmares and lack of restful sleep.

In another book One Small Step can Change your Life by Robert Maurer, he refers to the same imagination concept as "mind sculpture" and gives some great examples of it's use.

In the end, whether we use self talk (affirmations or positive questions) or these imagination techniques - the end goal is to change our beliefs about ourselves.

Often we need to hear things multiple ways for it to "click". The same explanation won't always work for everyone.

Thanks for asking how I'm doing PRCalDude. Hope you are doing well too!

Dan

I'm still having a lot of issues, but the TMS is better. I've been using the techniques in Kehoe's book 2x daily, but I've only given that about 3 weeks, so I'll see where I'm at in another month.

The biggest problem with Sarno's books is that he builds up the expectation that you'll be better in a month, and this isn't the case for most people with TMS, so we fall into a cycle of discouragement/self-pity/anger/etc when (almost invariably), we're not over the TMS in a month. That's the problem I initially had, I think.
Go to Top of Page

PRCalDude

49 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  11:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RageSootheRatio

I think "positive self talk" has its time and place (and in the study, there was no initial assessment whether it WAS the right time and place, developmentally/psychologically speaking, for the participants, for example) ... but I think the *thinking* / beliefs / self-talk has to be balanced off with expression of the FEELINGS that often UNDERLIE the thinking.

njoy, I have had good results with the Solution Method approach of journaling (a search of past threads would bring up discussions on that topic .. thanks mizlorinj!). It takes into account both feelings AND thoughts AND beliefs, which can THEN be "tinkered with" to be made reasonable/ believable and affirmed, once both the emotional and cognitive work has been integrated.

Someone had also previously posted this link below (thanks! sorry I can't remember who posted this!) which talks about feelings/ emotions (how to understand, identify and release them). A lot of "positive self-talking" can actually be one way to AVOID expressing or feeling our feelings!

http://www.mkprojects.com/fa_emotions.html

Are you referring to this:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5190

These people over at the Solution Method want $100 for a 12 week course, which is a scam IMO.
Go to Top of Page

inaned

Bulgaria
28 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  13:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought it. Just arrived yesterday - "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself". Could not let go of it all day. I keep getting one and the same message these days. Let go, let be, accept, do not be like a tick, let yourself flow with the current, stop fighting at all cost whatever bothers your comfort . Instead, try not to react as your impulses dictate. Have confidence all is just perfect.

Crk, thanks!

I think it's time for me to let go of the TMS talk.

Be well

Ina

If you have a plane, fly it, don't use it as a scooter.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000