TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What Questions do you want to ask TMS doctors?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  07:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could ask a bunch of questions and have them answered by a group of TMS doctors, therapists, and authors, what would you ask? Which questions would you be most eager to have answered? Why?

(There is a possibility that we may implement a feature like this at the TMS Wiki.)

Forest
tmswiki.org

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  06:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the following thread:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5603

tractorgirll says:
quote:
In many of Sarno's books etc. there is mention of certain people needing psycho-therapy in addition to putting his methods into practice, but it seems he's suggesting seeing someone who understands and BELIEVES in TMS theory and who can work in conjunction with a TMS doc.

It would be interesting to ask advice on whether a psychotherapist needs to be TMS-trained or how to find a psychotherapist when there isn't a TMS one available.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Questions
1. Why even after a person with TMS accepts the diagnosis that their pain is physiological not physical do they fail to rid themselves of chronic pain?

2. Could possibility exist that some people will never be pain free?

3. Can TMS be considered incurable in some instances?

4. Is it possible to go to far in our quest to uncover our repressed emotions?
I ask this question since I started reading The Presence Process.. The journey described by the author has made me a bit nervous.

More questions to follow.
Marsha

Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  21:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas!

Anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

nikita007

Spain
16 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  10:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marsha

Questions
1. Why even after a person with TMS accepts the diagnosis that their pain is physiological not physical do they fail to rid themselves of chronic pain?

I ask this question since I started reading The Presence Process.. The journey described by the author has made me a bit nervous.

Marsha

Go to Top of Page

nikita007

Spain
16 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  10:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marsha

Questions

What book is this? Could you let me know what it s about?
Thanks, Trine.

Marsha

Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  12:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trine,

You can find some basic info about The Presence Process here.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marsha,

I just wanted to say that the first time I read the Presence Process it scared me a bit, in fact I waited until the summer holidays so I had a quiet time with no work before I started it. I can only speak for myself of course but actually doing it (twice) is not scary at all. Instructive, thought provoking, healing, but not scary at all.

As for questions for a TMS doctor I do kind of have one:

In terms of explaining to other people I'd like a TMS doc to comment on this:

If the same pathways in the brain are used by both emotional pain and physical pain (as proved in labwork by Lieberman & Eisenberger, 2004) then can we say this to people when describing TMS:

"In the brain physical pain and emotional pain use the same pathways (which has only recently been discovered in laboratory tests). In other words, It's a two way path: Physical pain can lead to emotional pain, and emotional pain can lead to physical pain, and therefore the "loop" can be self perpetuating."

I really like the idea of telling it to people like this because it's lab data and not "all in the mind" but I don't want to get it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Webdan65

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the interview I did with Dr. Schubiner, he mentions a cycle of nerve connections. Here's a snapshot of it when he compares phantom limb pain to TMS:

"So, what’s causing this pain? In this situation, the pain is caused by sensitized nerve connections that are sending pain signals to the brain, even though that part of the body is already gone. The brain is amplifying those or augmenting those pain signals through a series of connections and through certain parts of the brain that are amplified and activated. And these parts of the brain are continued to be amplified by fear, worry, anger, guilt, anxiety, etc. And then the autonomic nervous system gets activated, which sends more signals back to the body which creates muscle spasms and creates a vicious cycle of nerve connections."

If you want the whole thing, go here. NO email required and NOTHING for sale.

http://www.TruthAboutBackPain.com/backstagepass This is a secret download page that bypasses the request for your email address. Just for you guys in this forum.

Download the MP3 of my hour long call with Dr. Schubiner or download the transcript that you can print and read. (17 pages)

Let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  05:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Webdan,

that's a great interview, I really like it and I like the way Dr S describes the "vicious cycle of nerves connections"
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  11:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A possible question: "Is it normal to get flare-ups after journaling? Is this a good sign or bad and is there anything that I should do?"

See http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5627

tmswiki.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000