TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is this normal after journaling?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

missangel

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  22:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After nearly a week of trying to write with no success, I finally had a breakthrough tonight for the first time. I typed a full page addressing an issue I had with my mother since childhood. I cried a little and felt like I got some of my anger out. I really had to work at it, but once I got started it became easy. I had no pain during this, but after I finished, my neck and back tension set in again. My leg also went a little numb, which hasn't happened in over a week. Is it normal to feel like crap again after writing, or will this pass once I begin writing on a more regular basis? Thanks!

Edited by - missangel on 04/14/2009 22:31:49

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  11:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
will this pass once I begin writing on a more regular basis?

Hopefully yes! I'm not an expert at all on journalling, but I think that once you start to feel the emotions your mind tries to fight back - it's been holding them in all these years and is still trying desperately to hold them in and isn't going to give up without a fight!

See Helen's story in The Mindbody Prescription.

Congratulations on your breakthrough!

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

missangel

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  12:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hilary! That's encouraging and makes me feel better. My mind and body fought all night, and I barely got any sleep. I'll go back and read Helen's story again tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  22:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
missangel,

I've had similar experiences while journaling: having symptoms improve while I'm writing and then get worse again once I'm done. I think that while I'm writing, my unconscious mind focuses on the repressed emotions that have been dealt with, so less symptoms are required as a distraction from the repressed emotions. Once I stop journaling, my unconscious mind focuses on the repressed emotions that are still left. More repression might be needed for some emotions at this point, since my journaling may have brought me closer to some emotions without actually dealing with them. For example, I might have dealt with the emotions for event X, but that might have made it harder for my unconscious mind to repress emotions for event Y, which is closely related to X.

It can be frustrating to feel like I was making so much progress while journaling, only to see much of that progress go away once I'm done. I just try to tell myself that I have to keep having journaling sessions and eventually I will make significant improvements.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

missangel

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  15:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, that's very helpful. You explained it well. After writing about one event, other events pop up right after. Usually several ideas will pop up. I have to force myself to repress the emotions and thoughts at that point because I simply can't spend all the hours needed in one sitting to address everything. Sometimes it feels like the things that bother me will never end, and I will never run out of things to write about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000