TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 suggestions ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  08:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody.
Since my recovery from TMS I have had a very normal experience..
the usual conversions,the fear,the 2nd guessing,the AH Ah!!
the giggle and the resolution.
However,my wife,having seen me recover in front of her eyes,though she believes the method to be true
ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT crack the cover of the book.
We just moved across the country,she just took a new job,she just got a promotion and she has sciatica EXCEPT for the times she's having mystery chestpains.
Since I've apparently been out of the loop for a while,I hear you guys talking about videos,newer books,workbooks etc.
I want to get her some "tools" but there seems to be so many available,I don't know where to start...e.g. I had no Idea that sarno ever made a video,that there was a workbook,etc.
Suggestions???
Thanks
Marc

Baseball65

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  09:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to be of service Marc, go to the forum's homepage and click on:

"TMS-Related Books and Other Resources"

You will find links to purchasing cassettes, and video there. I have Sarno's two tape video set and believe it portrays what it would be like to attend his lectures, where the "knowledge" therapy is dispensed.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  11:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the key things about TMS is that in order to recover, one must be willing to accept that physical symptoms can have a psychological cause.

Unfortunately, many people are unable to make that leap, and nothing we can do is going to help. For one thing, some feel that accepting TMS means that something is "wrong" with them, or that they have some deep-seeded psychological "problems," or that the TMS symptoms are "their fault." This mindset is difficult, if not impossible to overcome.

Sometimes we just have to accept the fact that some people will never believe in TMS. Sarno has, and that is why he refuses to treat those people.
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  14:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your wife knows how to access the internet, may I suggest you have her try our forum at TMShelp.com.

It is not a pleasure trying to help people who don't want to be helped. Maybe we come on too strong. Maybe refering these people to the forum might be less threatening to them and wind up being a way to get them involved in helping themselvss.
Go to Top of Page

FarmerEd

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  06:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Sarno's books he gives numerous examples of people who rejected the idea that their symptoms could be psychcogenic. They read Sarno's book and initially didn't see themselves at all in the personality traits he lists that are found in folks prone to TMS. After going the medical route for awhile (some for a long while) something struck a cord with them and upon reading the books again they see themselves on each page.

It's a shame this is the way it goes sometimes, but to try and push this on someone, I believe,often causes more harm than good. All you can do is present it to someone and hope that they will believe it. If not, they are likely to recall it sometime in the future when they may be more prone to accepting it due to their situation.

If you think about it, it's a miracle any of us accept this. We spend all our lives learning to repress emotions that are considered socially unacceptable. We get so good at it that we suppress them all the way into the unconcious mind so we don't have to deal with them. Then we are told these are our problem and we need to think about these repressed feelings that we fear so much. I can understand why folks often come to Sarno as a last resort!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  08:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FrarmerEd, excellent post! Cogent summary of the TMS dilemma.
Go to Top of Page

pault

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  07:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend putting the book in the house and let it sit.after some time of desperation they will pick it up and read it .If you try to push it on someone (with the best of intentions)you will create the "I was right fight" and push them farther away!If anything,I find showing the book to someone and asking them to read Jim Compobello's letter to Dr.Sarno and leave it at that!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000