TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Another bad sleep attack. WTH is going on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  01:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edited for privacy issue and personal info.

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:23:19

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  01:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kevin, your latest episode most definitely isn't tms, but i would bet anything that it is psychosomatic, particularly given the dream involvement. based on what ive experienced and seen in others, id' say that's just the tip of the bucket as to what anxiety can do.
Here are some thoughts, off the top of my head:
QUIT SMOKING!!!
its pretty obvious that habit is quite psychological for you, so it could only help if you made some effort to head in thast direction. Your emotional state might be too tenuous to quit cold turkey, but there are probably positive steps in that direction you could take.

I'm not a big fan of meds, but they may be necessary in your case, i wouldn't dare judge otherwise. But i do know that the side effects of meds are often worse than the symptoms they try to address.
Your potassium reaction sounds like classic placebo to me.
Go to Top of Page

pericakralj

77 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kevin,i had severe panic attacks and realy bad anxiety,it was very bad.I couldnt sleep,i felt like i am dreaming all the time,couldnt make diffrence betwean reality and dreams.

Then i decided i need psychoterapy,and after a few months all came back to normal.

so if you can,i strongy recomend that you do the same.I bet it would be great help to you.

I am sorry for my english(i am much better in speaking then writing)

KEEP FIGHTING

Edited by - pericakralj on 08/28/2007 03:27:30
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  08:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First and foremost, you need to have a full workup and rule out any series disease or neurological disorder.

Assuming your health checks out, then you just may need to be treated by a psychiatrist. Even if the symptoms are psychogenic you may need medication to get you over the hump. Personally I don't see any problem with treating the symptoms with medication, much in the same way you would treat back pain with painkillers.

You are obsessive about the symptoms. That in and of itself is another symptom. The distraction is succeeding. You may need help to calm your nerves (literally) so you can then focus on the psychological roots.
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  08:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since sleep is turning into a stressful situation for you, you might want to try a hot bath before bed, with a couple of cups of epsom salts in it. Magnesium works like a sedative (without side effects), and most people don't have enough magnesium in their systems. It's cheap, it's harmless, and it feels good.
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  05:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:22:56
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  05:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I look into myself, I realize that I was always the "tough guy". Having no fear of any man or violent situation. But I realize I'm a scared child in many ways. I'm afraid of all of this. It's hard for me to admit I'm scared, but I am. I'm so scared of what's going on I'm in a minute by minute emotional panic and rage. All mixed into one entity.

I've turned into a friggin mess and I'm am desperately trying to get myself out. This is what TMS can becom.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by la_kevin

When I look into myself, I realize that I was always the "tough guy". Having no fear of any man or violent situation. But I realize I'm a scared child in many ways. I'm afraid of all of this. It's hard for me to admit I'm scared, but I am. I'm so scared of what's going on I'm in a minute by minute emotional panic and rage. All mixed into one entity.

I've turned into a friggin mess and I'm am desperately trying to get myself out. This is what TMS can becom.

Sounds like you are on the right track, until the last sentence which indicates frustration and lack of control.

The need to project a strong image is common in TMS-prone personalities. It is part of the perfectionist or goodist trait. You need others to see you a certain way, to gain their recognition, their approval, their praise, their support. If the image you project is at odds with who you think you are inside, it raises tremendous emotional conflict. It increases the rage because the child inside resents the fact that you put so much pressure on yourself to make sure that others see you a certain way. It can make you feel like a phony because deep down you are afraid to show people who you really are.

There's nothing you can do to change this overnight, nor do you need to change to get relief from symptoms. You just need to recognize this imbalance and explore it the best you can to see where it originates. One possibility is that you seek to gain from others what you failed to receive from your parents.

This is the type of thing that can be explored with a TMS-trained therapist who can help you uncover these sources of rage and bring them out in the open, to thwart the brain's strategy of trying to keep them from being experienced.
Go to Top of Page

OUCHTHE PAIN

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  19:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in a minute by minute emotional panic and rage. All mixed into one entity.

La Kevin, I certainly don't have any answers for you, or I wouldn't be here. Your posts are making me sad for you, but also making me see in the big scheme of things, my puny back pain is nothing. I hope things will get better for you soon!

Being a newcomer, I don't know anything of your history....could the medication be doing strange things to your sleep? Or was your sleep disturbed before the medication?

Also, is it possible to OVER work the program? Does everything need to be analyzed? This question is not directed at you necessarily, just sort of wondering if there is such a thing as too much introspection?

I have a tendency to chain smoke too. Bad, VERY bad! I am quite sure it is doing damage to our bodies we haven't even imagined. Lets face it, it is a MAJOR oxegen depriving habit.

Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  06:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:23:46
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  06:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:24:47
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  08:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing pain seems silly, since everybody has different pain thresholds and pain perception, and duration of pain plays a part too (years vs weeks).
If the pain is bad enough, and chronic enough, to have a lasting negative effect on your quality of life, then it is bad pain.
Go to Top of Page

FORU

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  16:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just trying to show how far something can go if ignored. Deal with your "demons" now or pay the price is all I can say.

Well said! Thank you!

fka something else
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  17:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
La Kev,

Granted, I'm coming late to the game on your symptoms but am I correct in assuming you're in LA. Have you thought of seeing Dr. Schecter or even better yet, see on of a number of very skilled psychologists who emphasize TMS that are in the area? I can recommend at least two.

WCR
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  19:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a Shecter patient already. And I just started seeing one of his therapists. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

justme

63 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
La_ Kevin-

I have some formal education in the area of counseling. Your symptoms bring to mind to me a phenomenon in a certain culture wherein the person actually dies from fright. Sounds like you are very aware of your overactive autonomic system, so I do not think you are in danger of dying yourself from fright. However, I would advise going slowly in your therapeutic regimen. Your body, soul, and mind can only process so much at a time. When they have had enough, they probably go into overload, signalling you to slow down.
Be kind to yourself. This is also an important skill for a TMS person to learn.

Just me

Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  17:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LaKev,

I know you are trying not to post or visit here too often, but I've been thinking about you and what you are going thru a lot the past couple days. When I think of you, I remember all the physical challenges but I realized that we don't know much or anything about your situation ... other than sx. Are you working? Married? Have friends? New job? Kids? Perhaps they don't believe you? Just wondered what's going on. I guess I'm being nosy.

I continue to wish the best for you!

>|< Penny
"Feeling will get you closer to the truth of who you are than thinking."
~ Eckhart Tolle

Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  19:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:24:27
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  19:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely understand and respect your reasoning. A year ago I cried and cried and couldn't believe that there were any tears left in me and cried some more. Hang in there. Take each day as it comes and know and have faith that you can and will get better, LaKevin! Take care of you!
>|< Penny
Go to Top of Page

AnthonEE

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LA_Kevin, If you don't mind my asking, how long had you been taking the 0.5mg Klonopin? and how quickly did you stop taking it? Do you have previous experience with benzos? Or is this Klonopin thing something recent for you? The reason I ask is because I had an absolutely terrifying experience with Klonopin two years ago, and many of the symptoms you describe sound WAY too familiar, especially the insomnia with electric shocks. And acute anxiety through the roof... Some people apparently don't have any trouble with this medication, while others like me have acute adverse reaction. For me, it was the worst, most terrifying experience in my whole life. And withdrawal from this medication precipitated a huge autonomic overload that lasted months. It took six months for my ears to stop ringing. As I learn more about TMS, it seems that the autonomic overload is at root of many problems, and maybe one can arrive at autonomic overload in more than one way. Benzo withdrawal may be one sure fire way to do it (at least for me). TMS symptoms sprouted like weeds over the last two years. It has only been since this episode in my life that I've had the classic chronic this, chronic that, issue after issue. Prior to that I was a model of physical health.

My question is focussed on the medication rather than the psychological/emotional work you are doing. This is not in any way intended to undercut the significance of those issues or the importance of that work. It's just that your symptoms do seem so similar in many ways to my previous experience, I'm just wondering if the benzo is playing a role here as well. So I'm very interested to find out what your experience is with benzos, esp Klonopin, and whether it could be a contributor to your difficulties (on top of or in conjunction with TMS). --AnthonEE

Edited by - AnthonEE on 09/07/2007 08:37:20
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  10:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - la_kevin on 04/18/2011 03:25:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000