TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Multiple TMS Equivalents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Call Me Op

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  16:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know whether it is possible to have TMS and a TMS equivalent, or two TMS equivalents, at the same time?

Thanks,

-Op

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  17:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hazard the following guess:

Sure.
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  17:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooooooooooohhhhhh yyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaah, multiple for sure
Go to Top of Page

mikescott_98

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  05:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased Dr. Sarno's video off e-bay and there is a portion that mentions this. Dr. Sarno said that the mind only needs ONE symptom to take keep you from focusing on the unconscious rage. The patient asked the question about never having his 2 symptoms (IBS and pain down his legs) at the same exact same time. Although Dr. Sarno did not specifically say it was not possible, he seemed to say that the TMS and equivalents will alternate.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  08:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Sarno is right to suggest it's not usual, but there are many people on this board who have or have had multiple equivalents, or TMS plus an equivalent. I had TMS plus dandruff, which is pretty minor, but it's still TMS plus an equivalent (skin issues). So in short, yes, it's possible. It may indicate a more severe case, but it doesn't have to. I think for me it was just that I had dandruff before I had TMS pain and it just stuck around.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  18:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course its possible. THere are many people who have many forms of TMS at once....If you look at the long list of equivalents then its easy to see that its very possible....probably the norm
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  22:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikescott_98

I purchased Dr. Sarno's video off e-bay and there is a portion that mentions this. Dr. Sarno said that the mind only needs ONE symptom to take keep you from focusing on the unconscious rage. The patient asked the question about never having his 2 symptoms (IBS and pain down his legs) at the same exact same time. Although Dr. Sarno did not specifically say it was not possible, he seemed to say that the TMS and equivalents will alternate.

I haven't seen the video, but from what you've said, I doubt that Dr. Sarno was saying that it's unusual to have two symptoms at once. He was just saying it's not necessary for some patients to have two symptoms at once.

For example, fibromyalgia is a form of TMS. Irratable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a TMS equivalent. It's common for fibromyalgia patients to have IBS at the same time. I've had both at the same time and know of other patients who have also.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

mikescott_98

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  08:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought his statement was a little strange also. I wish he would have explained this a little more. I feel that I have had two symptoms at the same time, but since I have not had this happen since I have seen the video, I can not be sure they were both occurring at the EXACT same time. He did bring it up one other time in the video when someone said they do not get the knee and back pain at the same time. Dr. Sarno said "This is a perfect example of the way it works. In general the brain only needs one sight of pain at a time." Maybe 2 pain (muscle, tendon, or nerve) or 2 gastrointestinal/other equivalent at the same time is unusual, but one of each is possible or normal. Perhaps the temporary healing of one symptom has began before the other equivalent has begun and the symptoms of 2 or more are present at the same time. One is on the way in while the other is on the way out, but the mind is only focusing on one. Since I am now looking for it, I will notice if/when I get a double shot of TMS again.
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  10:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From personal experience, I can say that it is not only possible, but absolutely real. I experienced back pain combined with knee pain and gastrointestinal problems alternately and combined for many years. I think many patients have a primary symptom followed by secondary symptoms. However, take the case of a condition like fibromyalgia...Here is a situation where patients experience a host of related and separate conditions at the same time. Every patient is different and some have simultaneous multiple pain syndromes. –Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000