TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Stiffness and question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phillyjoe

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time reader of the board and active TMS follower. After a very long drive on vacation (over 1100 miles round trip) I am stiff as heck. I ran while on vacation and did a ton of walking up very steep hills. This type of stiffness hasn't occurred in over 4 years. Although I am experiencing some personal issues I have been doing my emotional work and feeling pretty darn good physically. This is the time TMS tricks me, and I start asking myself the "Why is this happening" questions, and is it just physical this time? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, thanks.

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are thinking and talking physically. That's a no no if you expect to recover. For recovery purposes, concentrating on what is going on in your life is more important than what is going on in your body.

I have said it hundreds of times on this board until I am blue in the face- yet people continue to respond with anger even though I am correct. Talking and writing about your physical symptoms serves NO purpose and hinders your recovery, as well as having a negative impact on the readers on this board.

Thing pyshcologically. Think about your current life pressures (beyond your pain). Think about how you were raised as a child. Think of your unique personality characteristics. Think Think Think!!!!

Dr. Sarno makes the point that you have to think your way out of TMS. But concentrating on your pains is merely feeding the TMS monster.

Sarno-ize it!
Read chapter 4 of Dr. Sarno's "The Divided Mind." It's all you need to know in order to recover.
Go to Top of Page

RiverMark

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  07:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look at it differently... TMS and recovery is a constant process. And, at least for me, it always starts with a concentration on the physical and then moves to the psychological. In other words, it's a step-by-step process and each step has it purpose. In a way, it is a renewal of committment.

In our quest to find bigger, stronger, faster solutions there is that temptation to bypass the steps and move right to the solution. Of course the problem is psychologically-based. But, the mind will not be denied its pleasure no matter how much pain it causes the body. It's selfish that way.

So, in my experience, it is a matter of constantly working the process. And, never giving up even when it starts feeling like it may be hopeless. Because, it really isn't hopeless, you know. The process works. And, for goodness sake, don't add any more stress to the situation by rushing the process along or attempting to bypass any of the steps. Sometimes, in moderation, it really is okay if we want to feel sorry for ourselves. Sometimes, it is okay to give credit to the mind for what it is doing and acknowledge the pain. After giving credit and acknowledgement though, simply say, "no thanks" and reclaim your rightful position in control of the mind and owner of the body.

-=RM=-
Go to Top of Page

phillyjoe

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  07:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for both answers. I am constantly doing the mental part, maybe too much. So when I hit the big bump in the road like right now I forget the process and my mind reverts to the pre-TMS thinking. Right now I can barely stand up and walk. That won't go away in 20 minutes by just doing the psychological work and reading Chapter 4 (although I will do that as part of the solution) I appreciate the comment on moderation. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  10:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tms treatment rests on 2 pillars

Repudiate the physical

accept the psychological

So I would think Sarno implies you have to send messages to the unconcious that the stuctural is not the reason for the pain, at which point you can then move on to the psychological.

I think he implies you can't have one w/ out the other. You perhaps have to link the physical pain to the psychological in order to go full psychological. You have to let your mind know you know about the "distraction".

I don't think you're all structural talk Philly, It's obvious in your post that your'e digging thru the trickery and just needed some support.

Did you get the stiffness during or afterwards? I think thats important. Because if you returned to your normal life and the stiffness started then it's time to read the vacation syndrome in HBP. Or if it was during, then theres a mind conditioning situation perhaps. Or, you were getting the normal temporary stiffness we all get from long rides and the TMS gremlin dug it's claws into you to distract you from something...
Go to Top of Page

phillyjoe

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  11:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to make this more complicated then I need to. I do find that sitting for long periods, or in certain chairs cause tenderness. I make every effort to just keep moving and doing regular activities including my running and weight lifting. Again, I have been dealing with specific stressors but acknowledging them within my mind and openly dealing with them. That's where I get tricked. Is it the sitting or the stressors? Right now I'm moving, doing errands and will try an run soon as the stiffness subsides. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do find that sitting for long periods, or in certain chairs cause tenderness.

Phillyjoe,

It sounds like conditioning to me. Have you read shawnsmith's "Riddle" post?
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3642

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  17:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a physical part to all of this which is why the pain is real. Your muscles are sore, and O2 deprived. That's why there is pain and soreness. We know the TMS root cause is the brain. Even if you instantly could correct your faulty brain and think psychologially, its going to take some time for the stiffness to heal up. It may take some days or a week or more. When your brain starts to worry about the situation it just makes a mess of things and uses this excuse as a distraction.

Yes, some people experience immediate relief, but for many it takes some time. Let it take whatever time it needs.

Here's the key part. Even thought it hurts, its not going to harm you in any real way. The pain is real but is benign, and does not mean there is anything really wrong with your body.

So, let it hurt and return slowly to normal physical activity.

I agree with the other members that the certain chair thing sounds like conditioning. Just sit it the chair, its not going to hurt you.

We all go through recurrences of pain to some extent, especially if you do some extra out-of-the-ordinary physical exercise that we are not used to doing. I recently overworked myself about 6 weeks ago and it took about a month to get back in the pink. The big difference in being TMS-aware is that you know for sure that you are going to get better and that you are in no danger.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 07/06/2007 17:16:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000