TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Does TMS worsen in its death throes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  04:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question, which I feel I should probably already know...

Do TMS symptoms and equivalents all worsen when the user makes progress towards healing, in a kind of "last stand"?

I've been reading lots of Eckhart Tolle recently and practicing being present in daily life and viewing my TMS as an imposter "painbody", which I'm letting take over my life. In effect, stepping up my opposition to TMS and talking to it separately, telling it it has no right to live in my body/mind.

As a result, these last two weeks my TMS headaches and anxiety/panic/depression feelings have got significantly worse.

I know Sarno and others talk of symptoms transmuting from say back-pain into anxiety, but I have experienced an increase in ALL of my TMS symptoms.

Does this signify progress in your experience?

Greg.

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson

Edited by - floorten on 06/23/2007 15:06:37

Gemma_Louise

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  05:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can get worse before it gets better. Kind of like a battle going on in the brain. The brain realises you're on to it's rouse and is doing everything it can to keep you focused on the physical, rather than confronting the real issues.

Just think, it has to be psychological in origin, or the pain would not suddenly become worse just because you are accepting that it could be TMS.

I hope this concept makes sense to you and I believe you're on the road to recovery. Good luck.

'Stop being so hard on yourself...it's not good for your health' - Shine, Take That
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  07:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and in regards to Eckhart Tolle (great book!), you can think of it in terms that you are successfully dis-identifying with your pain....and now your pain is like a 4 year old child now throwing a tantrum trying to get attention again
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floorten

Quick question, which I feel I should probably already know...

Do TMS symptoms and equivalents all worsen when the user makes progress towards healing, in a kind of "last stand"?

Hi Greg, It certainly has been my experience that it does. I'm an ET lover too, and he's helped me a lot.

Have you been able to identify any emotional triggers for you? Or situations where your pain and anxiety intensify ... like going out, going to work, date with your partner, or being in public? What kind of "emotional work" have you done?

I noticed that mine increased bigtime when I had a job change, my hubby had a job change, children started school, child was sick etc. All my pain problems stemmed from emotional elements, mostly to do with things changing. I'm learned to adapt better now to change, and thereby decreasing my subconscious' need to create pain.

I hope these ideas help. This too shall pass! (like a kidney stone)

>|< Penny
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tinman that he didn't already have."
song lyric, America
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  17:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I sure hope so, cause that's what ive been going through! Ive knocked down my psoriasis symptoms, but in response i'm now dealing with nasal congestion and insomnia. I'm treating it as death throes.
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  05:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement, folks. It's good to know.

I've been doing what Wavy Soul mentioned - telling TMS that my body is God's tool for doing good and not its tool for perpetuating itself. This seems to have struck fear into its heart!

It is funny how TMS seems to have a primitive intelligence of its own. I really think Tolle has hit the nail on the head when he describes it as a painbody which temporarily possesses its owner and has to feed on negativity and prevent presence in order to ensure survival.

I always had trouble accepting Sarno's idea that the distraction tactics were for your own benefit. Certainly Sarno and Tolle would agree that knowledge, presence and belief are in themselves enough to dissolve TMS. But I think that Tolle's idea as it as a seperate entity which needs to refuel, rather than Sarno's idea of a self-defence mechanism is closer to the mark.

You don't need to know exactly *what* kind of "entity" it is. We're only building a working model here, and the map is not the territory. I'm not talking ghosts or demons here but it certainly behaves like an individual entitity with its own momentum and cunning. Sufficed to say, it helps me to picture TMS as an imposter rather than part of my own subconscious.

--
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  05:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

>>Have you been able to identify any emotional triggers for you? Or situations where your pain and anxiety intensify ... like going out, going to work, date with your partner, or being in public? What kind of "emotional work" have you done?

Yes, similar triggers for me. Basically change in work situation. Worry about new environments. Fear of the unknown. TMS leaps on all these things inside me and exploits them to perpetuate itself. I'm gradually learning to detach myself and the lurching feeling in my gut that the fears can bring on. They're quite irrational. I tell myself they're only feelings and feelings can't hurt you unless you believe in them. Otherwise they're just unpleasant bodily sensations.

--
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  08:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will have to check out Tolles. Frederic Schiffer might argue that this "sperate entity" is in fact one half of yourself--either the left or right hemisphere of the brain, since his theory is that one hemisphere is "less mature" than the other; sort of the "inner child" referred to by F. Amir.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000