TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 ankle tendonitis or tms?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  14:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I survived my birthday on Monday, although my whole California trip was cancelled due to getting some sort of stomach virus..Now my left ankle is acting up again and I don't know if it's physical or tms..
I posted a month or so about a day I wore these sandles I had not worn in awhile..and that I was carrying more weight then the last time I wore them..After that day of wearing them I had pain at the bottom of my leg, going to almost the foot and causing physical localized swelling in the ankle..After using ice, arnica, etc..it eventually subsided..

On my b'day on Monday I wore the new sneakers I have been wearing but I put thicker socks on then usual..Lo and Behold the swelling and pain is back in the ankle bone on the inside and that spot on the bottom of my leg is sore to the touch..Could all this really be just TMS?

I just went through a whole drama as well w/ my ex/boyfriend..I caught him in an elaborate lie about being in the hospital and I was quite infuriated about it..Coincidence? TMS?...I see actual physical swelling in the ankle..I don't have arthritis..but the ankle was injured in the past..(sprain)..
Hope someone can help,
Karen

Gemma_Louise

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  15:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen,

I think it's feasible that your pain could be TMS. Because you had pain after wearing the sandals last time, your brain might be taking advantage of the fact that you were wearing new trainers (ahem, sorry, sneakers ) and seize upon this as an opportunity to create pain and a distraction. This seems especially likely considering the drama you have been going through with your ex.

Try to ignore the pain and focus on what is bothering you right now. It will probably clear up in a few days.

I mentioned in another thread that I had a job interview today and my TMS has really flared up with the stress. I have developed pain under my left armpit (which is completely new today) and I've also become aware that my right upper leg is acutely painful to touch and also feels quite hot. I am confident that this is all TMS as I was so stressed and worried about the interview. So I'm trying to ignore it and carry on as normal.

Hope you feel better soon.

'Stop being so hard on yourself...it's not good for your health' - Shine, Take That
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gemma Louise,
Thanx! The sneakers are relatively new, but not brand new..The difference on my birthday was that I wore thicker socks and perhaps the sneaks were leaning on the area or something..Geez..so crazy what are mindbody does to us..Sorry to hear about the new pain you have but sounds like you have a great handle on the TMS process!
Now my foot is tingling to add to the list of symptoms..last night my neck was stabbing me..that has subsided but the foot/ankle is being really stubborn..The ex has apologized and owned up..but I still am upset inside..
Feel better too,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  21:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen -- do you really have to ask? :-)

I posted some time back a recipe for TMSers to help decide what is injury and what is not.

quote:
If I had some new pain that wasn't obviously an acute injury, I would probably try treating it
1) as a mild injury, if there was some reasonable precipitating factor, with rest/ice/etc
2) as mindbody, if it didn't heal within a reasonable time or there was no known factor to start it
3) as a potentially real acute or chronic injury, if I saw no improvement after a few weeks or a month of mindbody (based on the fact that I successfully banished my primany TMS, forearm RSI, in a month, I wouldn't think another bout would last much longer and I'd want to get things checked out if it did).
4) As mindbody again, if there was no good explanation for it after examination (hopefully by a TMS doctor, but otherwise by a regular doctor).

But honestly, the main thing is not to worry about every little pain.
That you are still coming here to ask us our thoughts virtually every time you have a significant change in your pain pattern or level suggests that this is the most important step for you. If you feel like icing your foot because it hurts a bit, ice it. But in a few days if it isn't better and you didn't sprain it, start thinking TMS! And of course, doing the work an an ongoing basis is important so there is not as much of a foothold for pain to grab.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  08:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen.

Seems the story is always the same: you have some new (or recurring) symptom and can't decide if it's physical or TMS. You still blame old injuries for new pain.

What is preventing you from taking the leap and just ignoring the symptom? When you focus on it, it becomes more powerful.

Of course there are pains that are not TMS. There are acute injuries. But pain sprouting out of nowhere, at the spot of a prior injury, occurring at a time when you are under emotional stress in your life ... why can't you just accept that it is probably TMS, ignore it, and go on with your life?
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  09:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Dave.

I have to say I don't really understand the attitude of "I know it's TMS, but I injured that area once before and I don't want to hurt it again . . . "

If you know it's TMS, you know you have a strong healthy body that can take the stresses of normal living. If you know it's TMS, you don't let it stop you from your plans.

Regards,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  10:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Dave, ACL and Beth...
I guess it's a bit harder this time because I see actual physical swelling in the ankle..When my neck or back freaks out there is nothing visible to see...It's an internal, muscle or nerve thing..This whole thing started after wearing those sandles...I know..conditioning..Yes I am still struggling..I don't think I am alone with that, however..
Appreciate your responses,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  12:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See what I mean about the physical. You're watching that swelling. You can't forget about those sandals. And what about the extra weight and all.

Sound physical to me, and sounds like you can't make it past the physical to think about what was happening around the time it first started acting up.

Maybe you're getting closer to believing TMS, for your UNC to have to come up with such convincing triggers for you. Maybe it's a good thing. Still, right now, the triggers are very convincing to you.

Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  12:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Beth..I will give that some thought..I hope you are right..
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen,

I understand where you're coming from because I used to live there. Every little thing would set me off on a hypochondriacal binge of worry and fear.

Maybe it's TMS, maybe it's not. I wouldn't presume to say. But I will say you might well benefit from taking a larger view. Stop worrying so much!! If it's not TMS, the body is an amazing self-healing machine. Something as minor as an ankle sprain is not worth getting upset about.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  17:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Art,
Nice to hear from you..:)
Yes Hypochondriasis is very painful and very real for the person suffering..The ankle sprain was over a year ago..It's only in the one ankle so I am not worried it's my blood pressure, etc..My blood pressure is normal anyway...I spoke to a kineosiologist friend of mine today and sure enough it came up as TMS...
Hugs,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  13:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's so much quackery in the world, but I know nothing about it, and you feel better, so there you go
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  21:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well..I actually still have some pain..but there is healing going on as well..(I mean mentally, of course..)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000