TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tai Chi--Advisability of Resuming and/or Limiting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eliuri

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  00:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again:

I had given up doing my routine of doing the Tai Chi form every other day or so when the leg and foot pains I had posted about here two days ago had acted up. It seemed that the Tai Chi made those pains worse.

For a time recently, I had even speculated that some aspect of the the way I was doing the Tai Chi had actually precipitated this "injury". Such as keeping a relatively low stance [low center of gravity] during the exercise, thereby putting extra tension on the knee area. Or holding a fixed position for several minutes. Both techniques had been variously advised by Tai Chi teachers for times of illness to get the "energy channels" flowing more smoothly. It had actually been effective on and off for a number of years. I had often found that if I held a position for long enough I could actually get "columns of warmth" flowing along parts of my body, and at times could mentally direct them into the extremities. I found I could do Tai Chi--modified or standard-- for hours without pain or exhaustion, and it did lift my depression as well as help with other symptoms. I was initially quite skeptical of this, but it did help dramaticaly with chronic prostatitis years ago.

I vaguely recall that Dr Sarno's approach would be not to give up a pleasurable activity on account of TMS type pains. [Correct me please if I'm wrong...] I would very much like to resume the Tai Chi if this won't make the overall prognosis worse. And it likely will help the depression if it doesn't significantly worsen the overall TMS.

At this moment, I'm eager to resume it , after having discontinued it for several months, as it is the only form of regular physical activity I used to engage in.

My questions are:

1) Is it recommended to start very gradually, and then build up since I've refrained for a number of months? Or should I go back to my former routine, and if it causes pain , so be it?

2) Should I avoid those added modifications, such as adopting a somewhat lowered stance and holding a position, and go for the more gentle and less strenuous method?

-Eliuri

Edited by - eliuri on 05/29/2007 01:48:49

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  07:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eliuri, I would advise to begin, but gradually. Tai Qi can be very strenuous in traditional stance and you might need some time to get your muscles used to the work after such a long time off. On a related note, regardless of the activity in question...

A person will suffer or benefit far greater depending on their perception of the effect of a given participatory activity. If you believe it will help, it will. If you believe it is hurting, it will. This is part of the syndrome and the idea of injury associated with activity is a vital part of TMS success. Always remember this as it applies to all you do. My best to you. -Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  07:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sensei's right: start gradually. One of the main reasons for this, besides getting physically reconditioned, is so you don't scare yourself by doing the activity again and experiencing pain. Knowing you're doing it gently, and knowing there is nothing wrong with you if you have TMS, you can maintain calm even if you do have a few twinges (which you may -- remember, there is a some conditioning involved).

People have been doing Tai Chi successfully for several hundred years without problems, so there's no reason to think the recommended lower stance is problematic. If they can do it, why not you?

I used to have knee pain (part of TMS) and took a tai-chi class. The teacher talked most about working within your zone and expanding gradually. Even if you practice very gently you are in the spirit of tai chi. Most of us with TMS are perfectionistic and tend to push ourselves to do more, which is not necessarily going to work well for recovery.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

eliuri

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  18:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, armchairlinguist:

quote:
The teacher talked most about working within your zone and expanding gradually.

Yes. I remember the instructor making a number of references to finding a comfortable form appropriate sensations in the knee area in case anyone was feeling unusual pain or stress there.. I generally paid no heed to those advisements, as i never felt any discomfort at all in that area while taking the classes or in the ensuing years. Until recently, that is. It's been years since I've taken the classes, that school is now closed, and other places are too expensive for the time being. Problem is that the pain assoicated with Tai Chi doesn't make itself felt until hours later, so I'm not aware of "overdoing" it while I'm actually doing it.But I think I should be able to judge this for myself.

======================
Sensei wrote:

quote:
This is part of the syndrome and the idea of injury associated with activity is a vital part of TMS success

Am I right in understanding that you mean that the idea of injury associated with activity makes it more likely for pain to ensue. And thus it would help to let go of this notion.

Or might you have meant that accepting this idea of injury associated actually facilitates success in treating TMS.

From the context of the above sentence, it appears that you meant the former rather than the latter. But please correct me if I misunderstood.

Anyhow, last night I felt this almost uncontrollable urge to do some Tai Chi. As if every cell in my body were aching to do it. I did it gently as suggested. And limited myself to one round, avoiding the lowered stance.

So far, no adverse effects.

Thanks for the advice.I'll ease into it, as you recommend. Hope its OK to ask further questions on this when and if they arise. Since it seems you both have some experience with it.

Thanks again:
-Eliuri
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  18:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quote means that the syndrome often relies on the fear and association with a given activity in order to be so effective. If you feel the pain is linked to that activity, it certainly will be. You have created the link, your subconscious will perpetuate it. Break the link and you will be free to participate in any activity. - Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

eliuri

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  19:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sensei adam rostocki

The quote means that the syndrome often relies on the fear and association with a given activity in order to be so effective. If you feel the pain is linked to that activity, it certainly will be. You have created the link, your subconscious will perpetuate it. Break the link and you will be free to participate in any activity. - Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG

===================================
OK..got it..Quite an interesting notion.

-Eliuri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000