TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Setting goals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SwissMike

Switzerland
9 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  02:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again

I'm currently reading 'Rapid recovery from back and neck pain'. The author talks a lot about setting goals. I have some problems defining any... If you are suffering from back pain you usually don't do a lot of stuff. I am suffering from RSI, pain in both hands but I have never really stopped working or typing. I do a lot of stuff but I do with a lot of pain. So, what can be a goal? Working on a computer for 15 minutes without pain? It's also quite hard to actually know that the pain is less than before because I can't really remember how if felt without it...

I know this request seems kind of silly but I am really thinking hard on that one...

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  05:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also highly recommend you read Jack Canfield's book "The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be."
Although not a TMS book, it is a general motivation message that will offer you a lot of encouragement.

Sarno-ize it!
Do you have a pain-prone personality?
http://www.bradyinstitute.com/aboutBook/painProne.asp
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In general, I would suggest that the pain is usually restricting or limiting your movement in terms of time or distance or repetition or whatever.

Ask yourself, what is it that you would like to do with your wrist or fingers that you cannot do in these terms.

For example, in my case with my sciatica pain in my legs, I could not climb stairs without holding the bannister. My goals were in terms of climbing a number of stairs without holding on. Two, then four, then six, etc.

The pain intially limited me to two, but the limit kept increasing as I pushed the pain or challenged it. I don't remember Fred Amir mentioning it, but obviously if you can do six stairs now, whereas you could do only two a week ago, the brain is in the process of giving up the ploy.

Eventually, the brain gave completely up and I could climb all the stairs two at a time pain free.

Try to relate my story to your limitation. Setting goals can be very powerful in overcoming the pain. Remember, TMS pain can be very severe but it is harmless. You do no damage to your body in pushing the pain.

The problem is that once you win this one, another pain problem pops up somewhere else, at least it did in my case. In my opinion, there is a relationship problem somewhere that needs to be resolved.

By the way, that is my quote on the back cover.

Allan.

Edited by - Allan on 05/28/2007 09:16:05
Go to Top of Page

SwissMike

Switzerland
9 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  06:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for your replies. The problem is that I CAN do pretty much anything. I know that, it simply causes lot's of pain. I know it sounds strange but I'm somehow out of goals. I work in the office on my computer all day. It causes pain yes, but I do it anyway...
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  09:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

In general, I would suggest that the pain is usually restricting or limiting your movement in terms of time or distance or repetition or whatever.

Ask yourself, what is it that you would like to do with your wrist or fingers that you cannot do in these terms.

For example, in my case with my sciatica pain in my legs, I could not climb stairs without holding the bannister. My goals were in terms of climbing a number of stairs without holding on. Two, then four, then six, etc.

The pain intially limited me to two, but the limit kept increasing as I pushed the pain or challenged it. I don't remember Fred Amir mentioning it, but obviously if you can do six stairs now, whereas you could do only two a week ago, the brain is in the process of giving up the ploy.

Eventually, the brain gave completely up and I could climb all the stairs two at a time pain free.

Try to relate my story to your limitation. Setting goals can be very powerful in overcoming the pain. Remember, TMS pain can be very severe but it is harmless. You do no damage to your body in pushing the pain.

The problem is that once you win this one, another pain problem pops up somewhere else, at least it did in my case. In my opinion, there is a relationship problem somewhere that needs to be resolved.

By the way, that is my quote on the back cover.

Allan.

Great info Allan! I got out my copy of Fred Amir's book and there you are, cool! When I go through Weymouth, I'll ask you to autograph it for me, or, if you come out here to the Wild West.

Co-incidentaly, I'm doing a similar thing as you are with the stair-steps. My right leg is visibly atrophied. Seeing this I have decided to do the phys work to build it up a bit. My right leg has just been along for the ride so long it has forgotten how to function. I did a few sets calf raises on the hot-tub steps the other day and was surprised how sore the little bugger has been for the last few days.

I'm going to do a dozen or so sessions of PT at a re-hab place I found very nearby to build-up my atrophied right leg. I am doing this in the spirit of TMS "returning to normal acitvity". I could well do it on my own but I'm too damn lazy.

Cheers,
tt

Some of my favorite excerpts from " _THE DIVIDED MIND_ " :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  19:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennis Tom

Be of good cheer. Others have accomplished wonderful things as a result of trying to overcome physical problems.

If you would like some inspiring stories, Rafael Johnson was a world champion sprinter in the forties, that is the 1940's and set world records. He lost half his calf muscle in one leg in an accident with a wheat reaper.

John Cunningham ran the mile. He was always in competition in the mile run (I think) and, at the time, 4:02 was the world record until Roger Bannister came along. Cunningham had both legs badly burned in a fire when he was 10.

The dates may be mixed up, but the facts are correct.

As you can guess, I ran track. I never did well but I was trying to overcome my weak legs and build some strength in them.

By the way, I enjoy your posts. You always get to the point with some worthwhile advice with a positive encouragement.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000