TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 advil slave
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

namdlog

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  08:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New to forum, new to TMS. (only discovered TMS 3 weeks ago). Its great to find this board and know I am not alone!!! Suffering from back pain for over 2yrs. I've read the healing back and seen sarno's video and I believe I am a classic TMS patient. My brother died, bought a house, got married, new career all in a 6 month period and bam! severe lower back pain, no surprise. Did the doctor to dr thing for 2 years, no help, finally 3 wks ago a friend suggested healing back pain. I am progressing already, my days are much, much better.

My big problem over the past 2 years is going to sleep. When i lay down its at the worst. So Ive been taking advil, every night. I am trying to break the Advil cycle and its a bitch. I didnt expect the book to cure me in a moment, I feel I am so new to TMS and suggestions? I have been working through the pain when I am active but I find it overwhelming at bedtime. I let myself become a slave to advil to sleep at night. Any suggestions? (is the Mindbody workbook helpful) Thank you

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My brother died, bought a house, got married, new career all in a 6 month period and bam! severe lower back pain, no surprise."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the board, those events will certainly give one TMS. You have a good handle on the topic and just need to give your mindbody some time to wrap itself around it and absorb it on an unconscious cellular level. I would say just sleep on it but that's the issue you are asking about.

I went through the same thing a few years ago, excruciating pain in bed not allowing me to fall asleep. I even rigged a pully system above my bed so that I could stretch my leg out.

I can assure you that this too will pass and you will be able to sleep again someday. I now have no pain in bed and have returned to my normal sleeping pattern.

You may want to do a search on related topics such as :nsaids, alleves, ulcers, OTC pain killers, and insomnia.

Good luck!
tt
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  09:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might order Dr. Schechter's audio CD's. I say this, because he's got a section about how sleep is relaxing to the body, but stimulates the unconscious, because the conscious is no longer there to supress it.

It's a good tape to play over and over, to remind you that sleep is harmless, and when your brain figures out you won't be fooled by it, it will stop trying.

Regards,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point you have likley conditioned your mind to think that you cannot sleep without the Advil. Its likley that the Advil is serving as a placebo, that is, "I took my Advil now I can sleep". As long as you are not taking more than the documented dosage, the only harm this is doing is acting as a distraction. At some point you will realize that its not helping you sleep, really, since there is nothing really wrong with your body, the Advil really isnt doing anything to your body. Consider this.... the pain is real,,,, but the pain is being caused by your brain, not any injury. The Advil is not going to do anything to your brain, other than give you a very mild amount of pain relief (which is ok), the Advil is not going to "cure" any problem because there is truly nothing wrong with your body.

You might want to ask your Doc for some real pain killers, and not use the Advil. Real pain killers are going to do a much better job to get you over the edge [of the pain] than Advil will. This may allow you to do a better job on your TMS work. I'm not saying become a junkie, but Dr Sarno does site using pain killers to get you started in some cases.

Oh yea, when you finish reading HBP, start over again.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000