TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Wanting to control one's immediate environment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  11:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I sit and wait for something to aggravate me I don't have to wait for every long. Usually it takes only a few minutes. As as TMSer, I have a strong and burning desire to control my immediate envrionment and become inwardly aggravated when I can't. It does not have to be anything BIG as there is no BIG or SMALL for the unconcious. It is all BIG.

Sarno-ize it!

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is me to a T. Especially in traffic.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have that problem a lot, until they passed the concealed weapons act here in Tennessee. Now I carry a .38 snubnose with me wherever I go and I find it's much easier to control my immediate environment.
Also, I have cut down on bathing...down to maybe once a month. I find that as the month goes on, people tend to get out of my way. If I'm in line at the DMV everybody in front of me goes to another line. Co-workers stay clear of my workspace.
Lastly, on the weekends I have taken to wearing an Arabic Headdress and Gown....sort of like one of those Sheiks you see Bush with all the time?? I find that when I walk into a building,people clear out really quick. Carrying a giant duffle bag along magnifies the effect even more. I went into the supermarket on a crowded Saturday and the entire place cleared out! I got all my shopping done in like 15 minutes.
These 3 strategies have helped me learn to control my immediate environment. The only trouble I ever run into is at the airport.

Just kidding. That's just part of our deal. We're so damn sensitive. My whole life, people have said "Marc...you're too damn sensitive" and I used to argue, but I don't anymore. They're right. I just let it flow in and it flows right out. It makes a fertile ground for TMS and a lot of other undesirable conditions, but it also tends to be an asset when dealing in real life situations. I mean...the opposite of sensitive isn't 'tough'.....to me the opposite of sensitive is calloused and detached.

I'd rather be sensitive and worried about controlling my environment than mean and sleeping my way through life.

-piggy
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish you wouldn't make jokes like that. It hurt my feelings.

that is a joke

just trying to control the environment a bit

I crack myself up!

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clicking

Shawn Smith- Feb 13, 2007

I hear the constant clicking
An indication that words are being flashed across the
screen
Just a few years ago this sound would be unheard of in
a library
Now such sounds frequently fall upon the ear and are
common fare

What words are these that come accompanied with
clicking sounds?
Are they words of wisdom?
Is a classic in the works?
Or is it just the clicking of some wannbe poet whose
mind is aimlessly wandering?

Before, there was merely the rustling of the page
Hushed chatter in the background
The schowlish look of a prudish librarian
Now, clicking, endless clicking

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  15:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMSers think and live in the extreme.
-- floridaboy

More of my fav quotes...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=79

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 03/10/2007 15:54:06
Go to Top of Page

dwinsor52

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  05:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally relate to this and struggle every day, because I have an 11 year old and 15 year old. I also relate to wanting to control the little things. I feel so much relief when I am in a situation that i can't control. My problem is when it's up to me to deal with it. A small example is making my younger child take a shower. You wouldn't believe the stress I go through because she doesn't want to. But it's like I can't relax until she takes the damn shower and I don't have to think about it anymore. Same with practising her band instrument. Another thing is if my older daughter is on the internet, all i can think about is when she should get off and it's up to me to decide. Big things that are out of my control do not cause as much stress. I am really good at handling a crisis. It's the environment around me and when I think I should be doing something about a situation.
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree
Maybe that's why it is good for us types to keep busy with enjoyable things. I find I am healthier and calmer when I take trips (even weekend get-a-ways) to someplace new each time. Give me unfamiliar and I am at ease. This way I don't see the same old thing, don't obsess about cleaning up/housework/chores..(sometimes the damn house calls to me..hey! I'm dirty AGAIN, AGAIN....ya know?)
It's ass backwards, I reckon. We crave familiar to supposedly keep the control, but this "familiar" environment always wants to be perfected....pull, pull, pull. We shy away from the unfamiliar but once we are in it, it feels good.
Go figure.
Bliss
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000