TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Should I visit the rheumatologist ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  02:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All -

As this is my first thread on this forum, I just want to say how great I think it is, and that it has made me feel better to see the posts of other people out there who are going through the same sorts of things as me.

Firstly I'd like to tell my story :
I've had upper back and neck pain for years. I was told it runs in my family as several of my relatives on my mums side all have it. I've been going to Kieser training for years here in London, which is basically a strength training gym fo the back, about once every week or two weeks, and felt i had it all under control. Then about this time last year I started getting lower back pain. Much deeper and more painful (and more scary) and I started to worry about it too. I firstly went to osteopaths and physio, who said that there was something amiss with the joint on my right side - the sacroiliac joint.

Well, they did their treatments but he pain would always return, so I decided I would pay some extra money at Kieser training and have some MST to strengthen my lumbar muscles. I completed the training course and the trainers at Kieser identified through computer tests that I had made my lumbar muscles as strong as they should be for someone of my height and weight (whereas b4 they were too weak, apparently). But the pain continued. At the same time, about 3 months ago I also started to get RSI in my right hand (mouse hand). I believed it was from over use as I am a computer programmer and music producer. I saw my doctor about this and she took a look at my wrist, saw that it’s not swollen in any way and said, take a rest over Xmas. As I’m such a music junkie I managed 3 days away from the pc, but when I leapt back on the pain was still there! When I went back to work after Xmas I was having loads of pain typing and it was becoming unbearable. At this point I googled something like curing rsi and I found the conqueringrsi website. I read through it and that afternoon typed up a storm, more than I’d typed in weeks in happiness by applying the principles from Sarno.(proof is that I’ve typed this big long post without any pain)

Since then I’ve bought HBP and read it over my recent long holiday. I have had several experiences, highlighted through journaling, where though focusing on my emotions or ignoring the pain I’ve made the wrist pain go away, and effectively conquered it. It does come back from time to time, but etched in my head so strongly is that moment where I pushed through the pain that I am able to do it again every time. My lower back pain is proving more stubborn, continuing every day on and off, but is definitely better. I have also had experiences where the lower back pain has been quite strong and I’ve focused on what’s stressing me and it has gone away, which to me, is not a coincidence, and makes me think it IS ALL TMS. It is always coming up when I'm stressed, or actually worrying about it! While recovering from the pain in my lower back and wrist I’ve had the same kind of pain flipping round my body which I’m sure is also the same thing, in my ears, ankles, knees and elbows, just like Sarno describes. I am a major type A personality, hard on myself, and successful in ‘all areas of my life’ – a demanding yet rewarding computer job (which I do 4 days a week) and am also successful in the music biz, working very hard on albums, and helping at a record label. I've also dealt with some fairly tough stuff in my life (haven't we all) including divorce and an addiction problem, and seem to be angry or anxious quite a lot of the time when I think about it. Basically I fit the personality profile for TMS to a T. So I’m pretty sure it IS TMS.

My doctor thinks I should go and see a rheumatologist, suspecting I might have one of the spondylo itises – or something of that nature, and another doctor guessed that I may have fybromyiglia, but both of those are covered by Sarno’s books as being a ruse, with the real cause of pain being TMS. If I do go I’m SURE the guy will fill find something and attribute the pain to it – this is his job! Some structural cause, and then I’m SURE the pain will get worse coz every time I worry that there is a structural cause at the moment the pain seems to get stronger. I haven’t had any X ray, CT or MRI so am not 100% sure there is no tumor or other weird structural thing wrong, but don’t want to go through and increase in pain from visiting this Rheumatologist, and propping up the whole back ‘industry’ with my insurance money… So I thought I’d see what you guys thought. I guess that whatever that causes the TMS in my back is more deeply rooted than what was doing it in my wrists and that’s why it’s taking longer to go. I’m now reading MBP and it’s really ringing true, all the stuff about the unconscious child.

Also one other quickie, when journaling, I tend to just write down any similarities I’ve noted between the time of pain and my mental state at the time. I’ve got pages of evidence now that it’s TMS. Is this how you guys do it? Thanks in advance

Andrew

Edited by - DitaH on 02/10/2007 02:37:45

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  11:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Here are a couple of good threads on journaling:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2970

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1321

I was diagnosed with Fibro, which can be one of those catch-all diagnoses when they can't find anything else. I've seen three different rheumies, and didn't feel they helped me at all. I now consider it TMS. If you feel you need testing to rule out the spondyloitis, then that might be a good thing to do--I'm not familiar with that condition, so I don't know if ignoring it a while would be harmful or not, if that did turn out to be something you have. But rheumies are very focused on physical causes, so probably any signs of normal aging will be interpreted as a source of pain for you. Let us know how things turn out.
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  07:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Littlebird -

Yeah right, thanks for that. I'm having a really good day with the pain today - got it clear in my head that it's psychogenic and I have been able to ward off any attacks all day, a whole day without pain would be a first for a while but this is what I'm gunning for.

I just got back to london from a trip to australia, and have had pain since i got back, but i think this was due to suffering with really bad jet lag and the crash of coming down to earth after an amazing holiday. my mind was not clear and was full of fear, and thus the symptoms raged. I've got so much evidence that the problem IS TMS, because I know my states of mind when i get pain, that I'm probalby happy just going to stay away from the rheumy.

cheers

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  04:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've realised why I might be having a hard time shifting the TMS from my lower back - I've been going to the gym I mentioned - Kieser Training (http://www.kieser-training.com/) for upper back pain for about 4 years now! Every week I would trot along, stretching the muscles made me feel good for about a week, then the pain and stiffness would return and I'd go back again. When the lower back pain started the upper back pain pretty well stopped, but unfortunately (or perhaps this is lucky, as it started me on the hunt for alternative solutions) going to kieser training didn't help the lower back problems! So yesterday I quit kieser training.... yay!! plus I tore up the letter from the rheumatologist.. fully accepted the TMS diagnosis... the only time I've hurt this morning is now while I write this letter, and this is coz it's reminding me about TMS (and also making me 'worry' about my decisions). But I've seen so much evidence that the problem is psychogenic, not physical, I'm taking my chances...

Edited by - DitaH on 02/14/2007 04:36:27
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  09:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I just read the Repressing emotions article you gave above, Littlebird and it blew me away.. completely unlocked the door to my heart and the pain just went away !! Brilliant essay. Prior to reading this article I was acknowledging my emotions, but actually saying to myself that it's perfectly ok to feel how I do was the key, the pain just melted away immediately. Wow

Now I'm really happy about my desicisons to quit the gym... YAYAYAY! I'm probalby gonna put a sample in one of my tunes about not repressing your emotions.. then people will start feeling great when they hear the music!! http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1321

Edited by - DitaH on 02/14/2007 10:02:09
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  07:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanted to tell you all quickly that I jsut went and played basketball, for the first time in ages, and I jumped around the court and ran end to end with only the slightest feeling of pain in my lower back (it came on stronger when I was thinking stressful thoughts). Last time I went to the court I was in quite a bit of pain and was walking kind of wonky, so am geting much better! yay!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  11:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost visited a Rheumatologist close to two years ago. I even had an appointment. But I cancelled because I knew he would tell me something that would make me question my TMS. Rare is the Rheumatologist who believes in TMS, but chapter 7 of Dr. Sarno's, "The Divided Mind" , is written by a Rheumatologist and is well worth reading. My own doctor did not even think I needed to see a Rheumatologist in the first place. I am glad that I did not go.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  11:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dita, Just want to say I'm glad things are going so well now. This board has been a great place for me to find helpful info and the posts by people like you who beat their pain are always very encouraging to read.
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  06:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys!

yeah it's going great. reading that emotions in motion essay was a real turning point for me... I'm so happy

my life can continue and in a way I feel blessed that I had the pain as it showed me that i have not been being myself. I feel truly more powerful and switched onto myself now

I'm still getting pain but it's when I'm stressed (like at work) but since I know where it's coming from when I acknowledge that I'm nervous or scared or whatever, the pain eases... and I'm more self aware!

Good luck to everyone... we can all beat it

Andrew

See my account with TMS here http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3077
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DitaH

If I do go I’m SURE the guy will fill find something and attribute the pain to it – this is his job! Some structural cause, and then I’m SURE the pain will get worse coz every time I worry that there is a structural cause at the moment the pain seems to get stronger.

You are SO right about that. I got to tell you the story of when I went to arguably the best Rheumo in the country. I suffered from RSI for about 4 years. The Rheumo said "well, lets do a full blood workup and see if you have arthritis, mean while, let's send you off to therapy."

Wow, sounded great. So off I went to therapy, where they had written dx of arthritis, 'cause insurance sez you gotta have a dx to have therapy. Well, these nice ladies treated me as an arthritic - what was their choice, it was written on the order. Being the "get along with everyone" type (except for a few people on this board, see TT's full moon topic) I believed the dx and acted the good, hopeless arthritic. I got to tell you, it was one of the worst 4 weeks of my life. The pain increased, the weakness increased, I cried all the time and the hopelessness and deterioration of my situation.

Finally, the blood work comes back. OH, you don't have arthritis!!

Then, I quit acting the arthritic. Three years later, completely cured via Sarno.

My advice is a resounding NO on the Rheumo.

Regards,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember early on in my TMS when I was in really sad shape I was going to an Osteopath. (this is before I read Sarno). Anyhow, he told me that I most likely had a herniated disk and after his "treatment" adviced me to stay in bed and not move at all, not even turn over. I was in bad shape and even had to urinate in a bottle. I did not sleep at all and cried all the time. But then I had an catscan and no herniation was found at all. But the power of suggestion sent my pain over the top and I wanted to die.

I agree with Beth, don't go. The Rheumatologist will give you a dx, you will buy into it and then the symptoms will, due to the power of suggestion, get worse and you will have a hard time shaking it off. The setback in terms of your personal progress could be months or even years as the jolting effect of what the medical establishment will tell you is so powerful.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys, not going to bother with that rheumo cat. save his talents for the truly sick...

See my account with TMS here http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3077
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - haven't visited or posted on here for a while BECAUSE by following the techniques on here and in the sarno books I've read I've almost completely got rid of all my rsi and back pain, gone from real serious pain and worry to the occasional niggle which I get rid of my focussing on the fact that it's all in my mind (something which took me a while to really get)

thanks all of you for your kind words and encourgement and to anyone new to this

MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THIS A GO

IT WORKED FOR ME!!!

I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT I AM NOW FREE

regards

Andrew

Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  15:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to hear that.

Tagging as SuccessStory.