TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 just curious anyone ever use neurotin??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  16:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I filled the prescription but am thinking twice about taking it after reading all your responses.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holly, forgive me for my poor memory, but what was the original cause of the neuropathy? Have you ever been checked for diabetes? Neuropathy is a common problem for diabetics.

If you decide to try the Neurontin, you can always start with the smallest dose at night, on a weekend or some time when it won't be a problem if you're groggy the next day, and see if you think it may be helpful or have intolerable side effects. I know neuropathy isn't fun, so it's certainly understandable that you're interested in finding something to manage it. Let us know how it turns out.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  08:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
corey i made this big reply to you only to not be logged in again for some reason!! Uhh! anyway briefly... feeling better the last few days. putting neurotin on the back burner for now. This whole thing started 3 years ago after severly banging a middle toe. the toe got then infected from the bang(?) and then neuropathy set in about 3 months later. That toe took over a year to heal. I am now left with "polyneurophy" (in both feet). I had read that this can be brought on by trauma. I assume that was exactly my case. I really tried treating it as TMS at first but nope it was real "neurophy" I think I was tested for all those things you mentioned by the neuroligist at the time so it's not Diabeties.
I hope it will one day just go away. I am still waiting . Just purchased some gel inserts for my sneakers. Doing little things like that helps somewhat to get by while out and about. Otherwise I am good.

Edited by - holly on 01/22/2007 08:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  13:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on this stuff now. Started a few days ago. One low dose before bed. My sciatic pain was so excrutiating, was just not going away no matter how much I thought about psychological/emotional problems, that I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes or walk without a cane, or even sleep for more than a couple hours without my leg waking me up. I scheduled a cortisone shot for my S1, just to get me semi-normal so I can go back to the mind-body work. I know it goes against the program, but the pain was enough to get me crying from it daily, it was so bad. Had to have a short-term physical solution to get me back to working on a long-term mental solution.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  17:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plantweed have you noticed the neurotin helping? Is it making you groggy?? I am sorry about your situation.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  23:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Holly,

I remember whwn the doctor gave me what seemed like a huge supply of neurontin and I sincerely believe he was trying to help. His idea was that if I took it long term as a pain supressant, then perhaps in due course of time the pain would go away.

Anyway, I read up on it( and there is lots of information you can get on the net) and decided I would start on a much lower dosage than the one prescribed by the doctor. I hated it rom the start. I felt drugged and lethargic. I would slep thru the night but it was very much a drug induced kind of sleep and I would wake up feeling groggy. It also gave me the munchies for some reason and I put on weight which was depressing.

Most pain killers relieve only, they don't cure so I just took normal painkillers which is what Sarno recommends

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  05:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I knew about TMS, I tried it and it made me feel lousy. I was very dizzy. I had to get off it immediately. Not a good med for me at all. Now I know better about tms pain but before that I tried everything.
Go to Top of Page

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  05:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a little groggy, but functional. But that could also be from the Darvocets I'm taking.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  15:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow alexis that was deep! I think you went way above me there on that response but whatever you said it sure sounded impressive.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  16:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexis where is your global warming thread?? My husband is very much into that stuff (way before it was even fasionable!) you sound very smart so don't feel the need to change that! Just curious what you do for a living

and a question to you all with feet problems ...do you find walking barefoot makes things worse? Alexis about B12... you found that helped? Did you just take a supplement?

Edited by - holly on 01/24/2007 16:41:00
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  22:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hi Holly, Wow, the global warming thread is still there. I would say that topic's life expectancy is short."

Don't bet on it newbee. The last time we did the science of g.w. here, it went 20 pages.
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wanted to post that I never did use the neurotin and my feet are feeling better all around. They are not 100% but about the best they have been in a long time. (sometimes I am afriad to say that because it seems like i curse myself everytime lol!) The tendonitis in the middle toe area has basically cleared up . I won't be trying such high shoes again any time soon that's for sure! So I didn't have a neuroma, I did have some tendonitis (as Sarno said)but not from TMS my friends but from those high heals I am sure. So he was half right anyway!! That's ok with me. lol
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tms is the volume control for the pain
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  06:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that too. That makes more sense than anything else. It all goes back to stress making anything (even legit) going on worse.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  14:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's the book I've referred to a few times, it's called "Stop Being Your Symptoms and Start Being Yourself," by Arthur J. Barsky, M.D. and Emily C. Deans, M.D. I read it shortly before I found Dr. Sarno's TDM, and it seems to me that it can be a useful addition for some people who may have difficulty shifting their focus away from any obsessions with their physical symptoms so they can concentrate on the psychological aspects of their life that are leading them to develop TMS.

The book talks about how our culture in general has become more aware of having less than perfect health and developed an expectation that we should all feel great all the time, often with the help of the medications we see advertised, while older generations had the expectation that life would not be perfect and that people could live well even with many health issues. Then it goes into how unproductive it usually is to do large amounts of health research and to coddle our bodies by avoiding our usual activities. It discusses how our attitude and perspective affect our experience of pain and other symptoms. And it gives suggestions for taking the focus off the symptoms and getting on with life, in spite of not having perfect health at all times.

There are statements that don't mesh with the concept of TMS because the authors don't know about TMS, but there is some mention of how our emotions about other situations can intensify the symptoms. So if I was to read the book now, knowing about TMS, there would be parts of the book that I'd simply dismiss as not applying to my situation, but that's true of many books that I read.
Go to Top of Page

K2toK9

29 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  13:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

It was suggested to me to go back and read these postings on foot pain/ neuropathy. I have had this foot pain for 3 years now. It occurred about one month after a complete hysterectomy when I had gone back to my daily walks. I have always assumed the nerve damage is realted to the surgery I had. I have even been told by an operating nurse that it is quite possible. I have spoke to numerous doctors and my diagnosis is "idiopathic nueropathy" (in othe words "no known cause".....even though the surgery seems the cause to me....at least in part). I had the surgery because my Mom had passed away from ovarian cancer 4 months prior and I had tests run that did not show good results and a life time of gyn issues....so the decision was made to do a complete hyst....anyway, after the burning and the pain, came numerous doctors, physical therapy, and two persciptions....one for neurontin and one for cymbalta. The neurontin did not work as I never reached a high enough dosage and the cymbalta was too expensive. So where do I go from here....3 years later and in more pain than before? Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
K2toK9
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  14:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K2,
Instead of the burning foot pain following on from your hysterectomy couldn't it be connected with your Mother's passing away.

Losing a parent is a pretty big event in anyone's life, do you have remaining regrets, or guilt or unfinished conversations and the foot pain is distracting you from that?

Anne
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My neuro just ordered it for me for the MS. I have a whole bottle sitting there, took one one night, the next day I felt like I was drunk half the day. That was 1 1/2 wks ago. REally don't want to take it. I also felt taking it would help rule out a nerve condition causing my symptoms, but I am not ready to go on it.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  00:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LuvtoSew, I like your name. I used to love sewing, but haven't been able to take time for it in too many years.

Regarding your comment that you were thinking that taking Neurontin would rule out a nerve condition, I thought I'd mention that I was taking Neurontin for "neurological" symptoms that turned out to be TMS. (Had some tests to check for MS, but they were all clear--there was no explanation for the symptoms.) Before I learned of TMS, I wanted to cut back on Neurontin due to side effects, but the symptoms would get much worse when I cut down the dose, yet after I learned of TMS I was able to go all the way off of Neurontin and still get rid of the neurological type symptoms, though I still have some other types of symptoms. So I'm not sure if taking Neurontin and seeing how it affects your symptoms would be an accurate method of ruling out a nerve condition, since Neurontin did help reduce the neurological symptoms I was having even though they were actually caused by TMS. But if you really want to try taking Neurontin, perhaps the doc can give you a smaller dose. It comes as 100 mg. as well as the 300 mg.

Sorry, but I haven't kept up with all of your posts, so I don't know if you've mentioned more details about your condition, and what kind of testing you may have had. Having MS must make it difficult to sort out just what symptoms might be TMS. Hope all goes well for you.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  00:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K2toK9, I'm sorry to read about what you've been through. I think Scottydog's point is very good. It is traumatic to lose one's mother, and it must have also been traumatic to go through that surgery so soon after losing her. It seems to me that the emotions tied to those events could be a very likely source of the neuropathy.

I know from personal experience that neuropathy can by a manifestation of TMS. My experience with it was triggered by a situation that created a lot of anger, but there was also a physical event that I initially blamed for triggering the symptoms, until I learned about TMS. Then I was able to realize that the physical situation was not the true cause after all, the emotions were. Hang in there and continue to learn about TMS. That may turn out to be the answer for you. Let us know how things go for you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000