TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 My Physiatrist Appoint.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  14:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen a physiatrist today and after a lenghty H & P and on hands physical assessment he pretty much told me my muscles are not working right, and they are probably causing the torqueing in my head and pelvis. After a few manuvers he did I just started shaking all over and he said that is my sympathetic nervous system releasing, that my muscles are all bound up. He said my muscles are always in a fight and guarding position.

He gave me a laying down position to do to relieve tension, and another position to do to relieve and center my nervous system.

I asked him about Sarno and he said he knows who he is and agrees most problems are muscular in nature. He said when muscles don't work right, pain is the result, and all my muscles are tight.

He said if I want to see him again fine, but I need to learn to relax, breathe, and do the positions he told me. He said I've been having too much PT and osteo treatments and I need to just let my body heal itself and find its center.

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  15:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at least he wants you to relax, but if your muscles weren't working right, you wouldn't be able to sit, walk etc.

You're fine. I'm not minimizing what you've been through. I know there's pain. But YOU ARE FINE.

Relax, get on with what's REALLY bothering you.

By the way, what's really bothering you . . .

Beth
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  17:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So many doctors of physical medicine, physiatrists, osteopaths and chiropractors use this muscle imbalance scapegoat as the main reason on which to blame pain. They usually have some intricate model and dialog which explains exactly how the postural center of gravity is out of whack and how this places inordinate stress on the spine and its muscles. I never subscribed to this nonsense even before learning about TMS and Dr. Sarno. Listening to it now is almost laughable... As always, My best to you. - Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  13:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Dr. Sarno USED to think the pain was all in the muscles, but has since learned that a lot of it is in the nerves, tendons and ligaments. This is mentioned in his lecture and later books.

the PsyD is putting way too much emphasis on the physical. How about trying a psychologist who will let you talk about anything and everything going on in your thoughts and feelings? You need to get to the ROOT of the pain, and sitting or lying or certain positions are treating the symptoms and reinforcing they physical aspect. Or just take out a paper and start writing. Let out all that feeling.

If I'm not mistaken, you've been posting on here for a month or two. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has said get to what is the psychological cause and forget the physical. That is the only way you will be truly healed of TMS pain.

-Lori
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000