TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 article on Freud's theory on hysteria
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chingborden

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  23:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw this on my Yahoo headlines. A study done that actually shows the emotional parts of the brain linked to the numb lims of people with "hysteria". Short but interesting to see research being done that supports Sarno and TMS.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061211/hl_nm/freudian_hysteria_dc

chingborden

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  13:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chingborden,

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering if TMS could cause seizures. My husband began having seizures at a particularly stressful time, and each time he had a seizure it seemed to be related to a stressful event. Medication never totally controlled the seizures. After about 4 years the seizures stopped, and things that would previously have triggered one now don't, but he's not in the same life circumstances that he had before and I think those previous circumstances may have been contributing to anger/TMS.

I haven't really talked to him very much about TMS, though I think it could be a source of some of his health problems, so this article will be a good way for me to introduce the idea to him that he should learn about TMS.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

chingborden

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  15:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that is the answer you were looking for. I just really liked this article because it was a nice solid scientific laboratory study that showed a link between these crazy physical symptoms and emotions.

chingborden
Go to Top of Page

yowire

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  16:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Qoute from the article:
quote:
Feinstein and his colleagues are now studying whether sensory problems can be improved by distracting patients' attention during limb stimulation. That is, can the brain be "fooled" into a normal pattern of activation?

This is an extremely exciting direction for this research to go. We all know that if your attention can be diverted, the symptom should disappear at least temporarily.

Yowire
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  12:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I ended up in the emergency room about 5 months ago from the latest back pain/sciatica spasm, I was so panicked that I had hyperventilated out of fear. Ive never hyperventilated before. All these thoughts wnet through my head of "oh no not again" or "my life is over". I was so scared that I started breathing quick and shallow. Before I knew it, my whole body went into seizure. My muscles froze and I thought I was dying. It hurt too. My hands and arms torqued up like claws, and my stomach was jolting like someone shocked me with electricity. I screamed for help and the doctor rushed over and I was out of my mind with fear. I said " Doc, what the F*** is happening, I cant control my body". He said "you have hyperventilated and that has caused your OXYGEN levels to go out of whack, you need to relax".

He kept saying to me" breathe deep , and stop this crap, YOU ARE DOING THIS". So I tried to breathe deeper and slower. amizingly the feeling started coming back to my body, and within 10 minutes it went away like it never happened, when just minutes before I was PARALYZED literally.

Point being, the mind is strong enough to make your whole body FREEZE like a tree. If that isnt evidence of mind /body connection , I dont know what is.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000