TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  08:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm a 31 (almost 32) year-old woman from Italy.
I've been in psychotherapy for 3 and a half years and, when I had an acute attack of cervical arthrosis last week, with vertigos so bad that I couldn't drive, my therapist suggested the reading of Dr. Sarno's 'Healing Back pain', which has worked for him years ago. He (my therapist) is convinced that my pain is due to TMS.
I started reading it 2 days ago and I'm almost finished. I found myself on every page and the book is helping me a real lot.

After a week of rest and a medical therapy, I am today back at work, and I have a question for you guys.
Has anyone ever had vertigos just by moving their eyes? Could it be another TMS trick?
Just to be sure, but also because I have to check my eyesight, I will have an optical check-up next Tuesday.

I'm really glad to have found this forum :-)

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  13:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
I have been diagnosed by a Doc with anxiety disorder and cervical disc herniations. This both came about at the same time. I ALSO have had periods of mild to moderate dizziness since then as well.

I'm sure it's all TMS related at this point. Since learning about TMS a LOT of my neck pain has subsided. I still have other issues but I do have a lot of work emotionally to do still so I am not suprised. I still have a lot of tension in my neck and head muscles and the dizziness is persisting. If you read up though on symptoms of tight cervical muscles you will see dizziness listed. I'm glad you are having your eyes checked out to be sure but if it all comes out fine then I'd feel safe to chalk it up to another TMS symptom.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  13:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spacegirl,

Yes, I've had vertigo from just moving my eyes and yes it was part of the TMS for me. My vertigo is nearly all gone at this point--it seldom happens and it's mild when it does. When I was your age I was having vertigo so bad that I was practically crawling because I couldn't balance. My 4-year-old was bringing food to the bedroom for me because I couldn't get to the kitchen. It was a real challenge to deal with. Doctors couldn't find any cause for mine. I'm not familiar with the term cervical arthrosis. Did they say that was causing the vertigo or that the two were just happening at the same time?

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that TMS can manifest in every part of the body, in lots of different ways. A good way to check out different symptoms you may experience is to do a search on the symptom in question. You may also be interested in reading success stories, which you can find by searching too. The recommended way to search is to use the phrase SuccessStory. And people here are very good about answering questions.

Take Care--Corey
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  12:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Corey,

thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree that vertigo is very bad, when I had my acute attack last week, it happenes during a business lunch: even sitting was diffcult and I couldn't eat anything because of the nausea.
I guess cervical arthrosis is just another word for tight cervical muscles, and mine involved the shoulders, too.

Since I posted my entry, TMS has tried to trick me in other parts of the body, but every time I stopped and thought 'it's only TMS' the pain disappeared immediately!

I've also discovered in the last days that 'Healing back pain' is not the only book Dr. Sarno wrote. I am definitely going to purchase the other ones, too.
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  12:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pain,
I know what you mean about having a lot of work to do emotionally.
I am so thankful that I found such an incredible therapist, he has helped me grow a great deal in the last 3 and half years.
These last days, TMS has tried to trick me in other body spots, but every time I stopped and thought 'It's TMS' and the pain disappeared!
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  15:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add something in case you were going on or more COMMONLY going OFF of any anti deppresant medication. You didnt mention it ,but if you are, you can have eye movement associated dizziness. Paxil is a big one that does this, but others have that effect too. It usually happens if you dont taper off the medication correctly. If this doesnt fit you, then nevermind.LOL. I fit does, then taper off the medication slowly before you chalk it up to TMS.

Otherwise, its probably TMS.
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  02:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin,
I'm actually ON antidepressants, have been for 3 and a half years (I wonder if they still have any effect whatsoever...but my therapist, who's a pyschiatrist, says they do).
Thanks for this info, though, I didn't know about it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  08:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spacegirl,

The biggest bone in the human body, the femur, if broken, heals in 6 to 8 weeks. If your shrink hasn't been able to fix your "broken" brain in over 3 years, it is time to find one who can or abandon yours and immerse yourself in Dr. Sarno by whatever means you can, the books, videos, audios, asking questions here about TMS that are not clear, etc.

I know people who go to shrinks for years and I see no improvement in them, and in fact they get less human, and more phoney.

The problem with Sarno Knowledge, if you need a TMS trained MD or psychotherapist, they area few and far between, so unless someone on this board can recommend one in Italy or Europe you're on your own, pretty much. You can do psychotherapy by phone if need be which I did with Don Dubin who is in Beverly Hills.

It may be worth your while to make a mindbody pilgrimage to see a TMS therapist over here, if you have any doubts about if what you have is physcial, to get the white-coat impramature--it's YOUR mindbody and is surely worth it.

It's interesting that your net-name is Spacegirl and that your wondering if the anti-depressants ars still working?..maybe they are making you a bit spacey as exibibted by your vertigo? They are doing SOMETHING. After three years why hasn't your shrink fixed you? Psychiatrists more then any other "mind" mechanic use the medical/industrial/chemical approcah to try to cure, (they posses the holy grail of medicine, the RX pad).

Mind problems are viewed by current medicine as chemical imbalances, ignoring everything else in our lives that are NOT chemical, like our naturing/nurturing, relationships, job enviornment, home environment, etc.

If your car was broke and you took it back every week for three years and it was still broke wouldn't you find another mechanic? The problem is after 3 years it may be somewhat difficult to wean off the "friendship"/dependency on the shrink--the anti-depressants would probably be easier to wean off. There should be a formula to gradually decrease the dosage over a few weeks.

Depression is a TMS/affective symmptom. It distracts us from feeling deeper emotions that we view as more frightening than the depression.

When I had my significant depression not long ago my shrink put me on Lexies. When he tried to get me up to two I had an anxiety attack that I thought was a heart attack and went to ER at 4 AM. When the ER doc said everything physcialy was normal, my mind totally eased. He said many of the ER room visits were for panic or anxiety attacks over chest pain.

I went to my shrink and told him I wanted off the Lexies. He was old world and trained in psychosomatic medicine, (although not a Sarno doc), and consented somewhat grudgingly. After a short while (and returning to regular exercise) I was back to my "normal" self and productive, happy and positive again.

My shrink read me all wrong as to what medication to treat me with. He thought I needed something to pep me up, I needed something to soothe me down. The chemical reaction with my pent up energy from quitting exerciseing cold turkey, was a disaster.

This is all from MY perspective and I have absolutely NO way of knowing your particulars. After three years on anti-depressants they may have settled in for you--but they may be masking the emotions underneath the depression.

HOLD THE PRESSES !!!

I just read your first post where you say your therapist of three years thinks you have TMS and it cured him of back pain 10 years ago. WOWIE ZOWIE BATGIRL--WHY DID HE WAIT THREE YEARS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOU? AND TELL YOU NOW? WHAT'S HE BEEN WAITING FOR? Did he just make his final payment on the Jag? Maybe you can ask for your money back, but better discovering TMS later than never, i GUESS. With all the money you gave the doc you could have shipped Dr. Sarno to Italy to see you!
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  02:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the eye check-up and the Doc said that the eye can't absolutely give dizziness and that my problem must be linked to my tight cervical muscles. Which I know are due to TMS, so there you go, dizziness=TMS.
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  06:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom
Hi Spacegirl,

Hi TT,

I just saw this reply of yours (by the way, is there a way to get a notice when someone replies to a post?).
I will need to gather my thoughts before replying, it might take a couple of days ehehehehe. But I'll get back to you for sure.
Thanks a lot for your interest
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  11:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a way to be notified but I don't know how. It may be a funciton of the web-site or a google thing. Maybe someone who is a computer whiz could explain.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  16:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spacegirl74 said: ...by the way, is there a way to get a notice when someone replies to a post?

Not that I know of. Also many members also turned of their email link to avoid the occasional email spam.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Hi Spacegirl,

The biggest bone in the human body, the femur, if broken, heals in 6 to 8 weeks. If your shrink hasn't been able to fix your "broken" brain in over 3 years, it is time to find one who can

Hello Tom,

I now find time to reply to you.
In my opinion, you can't really compare the brain to a bone, as complex as such bone might be. The brain is incredibly complex and we don't know even half about it, yet.
Having said that, I think knowing TMS, learning what it is, does not solve the problem. It can make the pain go away, yes; it can teach you to ignore the brain's tricks, true. But from how I see it, it is simply curing the symptoms and not the cause, which lies buried in our subconscious. It's the short-therapy approach: solve the symptoms and off you go.
Sure, being free of the symptoms can be and is a great thing; the beain, though, works mysteriously and it would soon find other way to affect you, other 'symptoms'. What I need and what I want from my therapy is to cure the cause, that's why it's taking so long.
In the three and a half years that have passed so far, I have made great changes in myself, I have improved very much. The road is still long, but I'm hopeful, and learning about TMS was another cobblestone on the path

Oh, I've ordered 'The Divided Mind' and 'Mind over back pain', they should be delivered this week.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  09:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Spacegirl,
Great name, by the way..:)
I have had bouts of dizziness, related to TMS and they always go away..Glad you found the forum and I know the books and support here will help you! I LOVE Italy, btw! I have been there twice..You are blessed to live in such a wonderful country!
God bless!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Having said that, I think knowing TMS, learning what it is, does not solve the problem. It can make the pain go away, yes; it can teach you to ignore the brain's tricks, true. But from how I see it, it is simply curing the symptoms and not the cause, which lies buried in our subconscious. It's the short-therapy approach: solve the symptoms and off you go.
Sure, being free of the symptoms can be and is a great thing; the beain, though, works mysteriously and it would soon find other way to affect you, other 'symptoms'.

spacegirl, I agree with that.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

Hiya Spacegirl,
Great name, by the way..:)
I have had bouts of dizziness, related to TMS and they always go away..Glad you found the forum and I know the books and support here will help you! I LOVE Italy, btw! I have been there twice..You are blessed to live in such a wonderful country!
God bless!
Karen

Hi Karen!
I have ordered two other books, 'Mind over back pain' and 'The Divided Mind', they should arrive any day.
I'm glad you like my country, it always makes me feel a little proud when foreigners do
Go to Top of Page

spacegirl74

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

spacegirl, I agree with that.

Hilary N

Hi Hilary,
I'm glad someone does!
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  11:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spacegirl,
Those books should help you alot! I am still working on finishing the Divided Mind..I want to get Dr. Scott Brady's book as soon as I can as well..I am second generation Czech, so I have an automatic fondness for Europe, still have relatives there..My favorite countries are Czech, Slovakia, Italy and Austria where I lived in 1994 during a singing job..Europe is the best!!
God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000