TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Surgery surprise and shock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My knee started hurting in September and I treated it as TMS for as long as possible. I ran a little, biked, and hiked and every time I would finish an activity, it would swell, get warm, and I could barely walk. I kept treating it as TMS and ignored it. By mid-November, I could not ignore it any longer. An MRI showed a small meniscus tear, and although people live with tears, apparently something was floating around. Surgery was scheduled, and I was told 2 days on crutches, running in 4 weeks.

I came out of surgery only to discover that the pain was caused by an undetected fracture of my femur! A bone chip or two were floating around. I'll be on crutches for weeks, with no running for 6 months to a year.

The doctors read the xrays as arthritis, but it was really the fracture.

I guess what I want to stress to everyone is to get checked out completely, especially if you've treated something as TMS and symptoms such as swelling and pain continue. This was a freak thing that even surprised my surgeon, and worries me that my other diagnosis of arthritis could be the same thing. But I will not play into that fear!!

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michele,

I'm not sure now, because it's been a while, but I thought you and I had seen Dr. Schechter at about the same time a few years back?

I tried a search, but their are too many pages to weed through. I think he said you had arthritis in the hip? Was it you or somebody else here on the Board?

Just curious?

Regards,
tt
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom, yes I have arthritis in my hips and have fought it for years. I'm a runner, and discovered TMS a couple years ago after an a-hole ortho doc told me I was old and not an athlete. He offered me a hip replacement. Since then, I learned about TMS and ran a couple half marathons, bike, yoga, etc. I got my life back. I have not seen Dr. Schechter, but I have his CD's. I don't post much here anymore, choosing to distance myself from all the talk of symptoms! P.S. I enjoy your posts. :)
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  18:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Michele, and the kind words. The more I learn about the mindbody syndrome, the more complex and mysterious it becomes. Dr. Sarno has stated his regret of initaly called it tension myositis fortunately the acronym works for the mindbody syndrome. As we use the term TMS here it has become a short-hand and a vast over-simplification for psychsomatic pain disorders.

No two people's minds are alike, bodies alike nor life stories alike. Generalizing one person's injury with another's is treading on thin ice. Your experience is a good argument for not generalizing injuries. Thanks for the update on yours and the fair warning to others.

To me "tms" means not entrusting my health to others unquestioningly.

I feel arthoscopic procedures are minimialy invasieve compared to a total knee for instance. A little nip and tuck, clean-up and vacuuming out. I don't always trust the lenght of time docs reccommend for rehab. Generally if your athletic going in, maybe you can cut the time in half if the doc is on the conservative side and not that--but don't go doing anything stupid on my advice! Just trying to give you some encouragement. Work with your PT and follow their advice.

I've found deep-water running very helpful for keeping my hip going for tennis. I do about 30 minutes and it loosens it up enough so I'm good-to-go the next day. I use an AquaJogger Belt and the footies that go with it for resistance.

Good luck with the rehab.
tt
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  06:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me "tms" means not entrusting my health to others unquestioningly

Exactly . . . the docs work for us. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in October and immediately fell into the trap of what Dr. Schechter talks about, making the patients sick. She's been told you WILL have joint pain with this shot, you WILL become nauseous, you WILL be tired, and she has. Now if the docs hadn't said anything and put the words into her mind, would she have been sore, tired and nauseous? Who knows.

When I finally saw the new ortho doc I told him I am a runner and an athlete, and I would be one after the surgery. He agreed. I won't do anything too quick, but part of my rehab is to ride my bike right away to grow scar tissue over the bone. I hope to get on today and do at least a few minutes.

Like you Tom, I just keep plugging along!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000