TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is the tmj realy tms ? help!!!!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  23:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i am trying hard about 2 months now but with no sucsess i also have fibro pain .
it is really hard to apply the steps on my face pain!!!! because it is hard to ignore the pain while i have it in a most used area.
any help from those who did it .

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  01:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same situation in some ways, except in this one case I believe the pain is not mostly TMS, because I had 16 teeth redone, my bite got changed, and my jaw went into spasm with a total of 26 hours in dentist's chair.

However, despite all these very REAL circumstances, I am noticing that there is a TMS aspect to the whole thing - it definitely gets worse if I think about it. So I'm just doing something that is very unfamiliar to me - taking painkillers and getting my bite adjusted more and getting ready for a nightguard. Dentist thinks this is normal based on what I had done.

Other than that, I HAVE pretty much said goodbye to fibro after 30 years, so I know this stuff works.

If TMS should really persist once bite is back in order, I will smell a TMSRat.

Good luck.

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  02:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got tmj after a visit to the chiropractor. Just awful for months. then another manipulation "fixed" it but I was unable to sleep on that side for many years w/o extreme pain.

It never occured to me that it was tms until I had laser eye surgery and mysteriously didn't heal. I was SO miserable and really needed to sleep on my right side. So I did. Surprise -- no tmj and it hasn't returned.

So I have definitely smelled a tmsrat.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  09:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMJ is probably caused by teeth grinding, either in your sleep or as an unconscious habit while you are awake. Try to become aware of it and stop it when it happens. It's just a bad habit.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave,

I never had TMJ, but I "clench" and grind at night, unless I make a conscious decision, as I'm lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, to relax my jaw.

I can tell it works, because I don't wake up with sore jaw muscles like I used to.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a bought of "TMJ" or at least it could be quantified as it when I initially got rid of my shoulder pain. My jaw would tighten up and I'd have pain widening it. I also had tooth pain akin to a cavity.

All went away as I did my journaling.

FWIW.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to stop grinding during the day, and my TMJ is a bit better. Unsure how to consciously do this at night since if I were consciously trying NOT to grind then I would of couse not get any sleep ;-)

My TMJ started about 5 years ago during a stressful job. I'm now at another job but still working the TMJ issue.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  22:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks to u all so from what i read and i feel i trully think that the tmj not mostly tms also.it is really hard condition and i do not think we can get rid of it by apllying the work as the same as the back pain or other body parts pain.
any comment?
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  00:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like most people here had some TMJ stuff that was not necessarily TMS related but let me say this emphatically since it may not have come out definitively when I stated it first:

I began to experience jaw tightness and jaw pain as I was going through the Sarno's material and my other pains were clearing up. It too soon went away with the Sarno work and journaling.

My jaw pain was 100% TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  20:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in intense pain right now. It comes on when I eat, even though I'm still not eating anything more solid than mashed taters.

This is the most challenging thing imaginable. It is definitely pain from extreme dentistry. And it comes on after I eat and in the night.

Dentist tried to adjust my bite and is going to do more tomorrow.

I'm just reporting - don't have the answer. I'm trying to avoid taking any more codeine because I noticed I was almost looking forward to it even though only doing one every 2 days or so.

F**K!

Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your pain wavysoul i knkw i have every moment and second about 15 months now i tried several splints with no relief i am not sure how it will go away i am realy scared from the idea i will be like that but i am trying hard also to treat but the money is a big issue also so i hope god will help us.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  16:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from dentist, with whom I had a very interesting talk.

He made some more bite adjustments, then he started talking about how you absolutely can't get perfection in this stuff, and you have to kind of learn to adjust to it. I talked to him about TMS and he was very pleased to hear that I understand this, although he didn't directly know about TMS. But he did confirm that people get a bit over-obsessed with thinking there is some perfect jaw balance that will mean the end of pain.

He said that the other day he noticed a back pain while working, and he just decided to sit a bit straighter.

My situation was definitely initiated by trauma - 16 teeth all ground down (long boring story). But I can see how it has become my new TMS site.

So I'm back to extreme optimism. Not taking my problem too seriously. Avoiding thinking too much about my pain. When it's there, do what I have to do. Don't let it accumulate energy. Believe my body can heal itself - IS healing itself. Check in to see what I'm REALLY feeling, (a lot!), etc.

Really, it's all all all all TMS I truly believe. Maybe the TMS trickles down into the physical and creates conditions that take more time than others to reverse, physically. But it seems to me that, just as an alcoholic is on the road to recovery as soon as he decides to go into a recovery program, we are healing once we start this TMS process, even if we're not "perfect, right and done."

xx

Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno believes TMJ is a manifestation of TMS. He writes about this i his books
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i read it in the book but he just think not confirm.did he treated anybody with it?!!!!!
if so i want to hear from them yes because i want to know how to apply the work on this complicated condition because he did not mention a case like that in his book.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  13:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no separate treatment program for a particular manifestion of TMS or its equivelant. The same pyscological process that generates back, foot, neck and other kinds of pain are the exact same pyscological process that generate your TMJ. The area where the pain is manifesting, as far as TMS is concerned, is not important.

Don't wait around for someone who has had TMJ and has recovered to convince you, as that person may or may not be on this board. The only difference between my TMS and yours is that yours is manifesting in your jaw while mine is manifesting elsewhere. I restate again, the area where the pain is manifesting, as far as TMS is concerned, is not important.

It is a hard concept to grasp, but you have to put aside these diagnosis of "fibromyalgia" and "TMJ" as specific meanings and treatments are attached to them which forces one to focus on the physical. In my humble opinion, "fibromyalgia" and "TMJ" are not a diagnosis at all but merely a doctor's admission that they don't know what is causing the pain but they have to tell you something.

Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  00:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay - GREAT NEWS!!

I've been recounting my journey with TMS directly "caused" by having 16 teeth redone + my whole bite recalibrated. TMS is normal with these circumstances.

But since I now suspect anything less than radiant health is more or less TMS, I have been smelling a rat. Today I was very tired from being up with pain late last night, then taking a new drug from dentist to relax the spasms. But I still had to work with people - and talk about goodism: being a therapist is absolutely the ideal job because you are absolutely obligated ethically, legally, financially, etc. to be "there" for the other person no matter how you are feeling.

So I had 4 clients in a row. Then a friend was coming to visit right after the last client. I had been in INTENSE pain all morning, bypassing this to be there for these other people. When she walked in the door, I said "I need your help NOW! I need to rant."

Okay, rant on, baby, she said. I ranted very strongly about what I'm mad and angry and afraid about. She tracked me very well. I ranted some more, then noticed that the pain had gone.

Later in the day I started feeling the pain again, and ranted some more. I love having a person to rant to much more than journalling, although both work really well. I have to write all kinds of protection in my journal in order to let myself use the words that release the feeling, without making those words creative and magnetic (e.g. I hate so and so, I wish he were dead, etc.).

Anyway, this is one of the first evenings when I have gummed some slightly less liquid food for dinner (6 weeks on liquid diet) yet don't have unbearable pain.

That unbearable pain was either symbolic of, or a distraction from, some super-intense feelings that I realize that I still have rumbling in my inner cauldron, which I believe to be unacceptable.

I did my usual thing of endeavouring to peel of the thoughts from the feelings, upgrade the thoughts, and allow the feelings to move through my body.

I find myself saying a lot to clients these days: "it takes as long as it takes, and when you stop resisting and judging your own unconscious processes, they actually move through much faster."

So the TMJ is definitely, at least partially, TMS

I'm SO glad about this!

xx

Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  09:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi wavysoul i am glad that found a small evidence for u to prove it is kind of tms . for me i am very mad that this tmj pain does not stop bothering me till i cry for hours and start to think for a way to help so i ended up calling a new doctor for next monday app. to find out if he can help in the other nontms part
hope we will find our way soon because when it comes to the tmj pain it is the hardest to treat by any way it is a very complicated area in the body.

Edited by - donia on 12/08/2006 10:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  14:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Donia,

I'm just getting ready to leave town for a week, and was feeling very low because of my extreme pain waves which seemed to be starting up again. Then the doorbell rang and it was my sarno videos being delivered.

Didn't have time to watch them, but I decided that = okay okay - I would do a bit of journalling and see if that helped the pain.

I started to write about something that happened to me that was very painful. I am very aware of this (it's a real-life trauma that happened to me a few years ago). But when I started to write about it I suddenly started bawling. I was typing again and again "I'm angry that..."

The way my face suddenly screwed itself up into a grimace was amazing - I could feel how the position of my jaw having been aligned by the dentist has sort of freed up all the trauma that my off-kilter jaw was holding in.

What is tiresome, as you said, is how much it seems to take to keep up with the pain. It's like a very accelerated curriculum.

But I do believe that I enrolled myself in this to some degree.

Will be back in a week and will check in. We seem to be the only active TMJers here right now. It's definitely the worst pain I've had in my life. So maybe it's been masking the worst pain I've ever had in my life (emotionally) ?

xx

Go to Top of Page

chingborden

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  19:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark Sopher also writes in his book about treating people with TMJ and Nancy Selfridge writes in her TMS fibromyalgia book that 46.9% of people with fibro also complain of TMJ versus only 8.1% of the normal fibro-free population. Just more evidence that TMJ is a TMS issue. Just a question...isn't unconscious clenching and grinding TMS? Unconscious tightening of the muscles? Isn't that what TMS is?
Also, I came down with a whole list of symptoms the year following my newborn daughter's stroke including TMJ and dizziness. Has anyone dealt with those as connected symptoms? Last question...for those of you that beat TMJ, was it done without any sort of mouthguard intervention. I've just scrapped mine in an effort to abandon all "physical treatments" and have had headaches and more dizziness ever since. I'm pretty sure it is my mind trying to mess with me, but would just love to hear from those who did not use anything and solved the problem.

chingborden
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  20:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chingborden,

I resolved TMJ pain without any mouthguard. My dentist made one for me, but after I found out about TMS, did not ever need to use it.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

chingborden

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very reassuring to hear. Thanks!
It's stupid really. My main complaint isn't even jaw pain, but other things that I was told were caused by the TMJ. I have some jaw/ear pain occasionally, but worse is the tightness in the back of my neck and a headache at the base of my skull and finally the dizziness thing started. When I started the mouthsplint (before I knew about TMS) the neck pain, and head ache went away and the dizziness got better. Now I take out the mouthsplint and those things are back within one day. It's interesting...the TMJ dentist I saw feels that all these things are caused by one thing- TMJ. I think he's on the right track with the things all being realted to one thing, I just think his letters are a little off. Change the 'J' to an 'S' and then he'd be on the right track. So now I'm trying to fight my mind which is trying to scare me into thinking that the minor TMJ issue I have is the cause of other, more bothersome issues. Any thoughts on this. Am I thinking logically here? I wish I had never started seeing the TMJ dentist in the first place because now I have all this misinformation to battle.

chingborden
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000